SU Hoops 2011 edition...

The Poojer

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it you don't understand the difference between football and basketball. Football, when played right, is the ultimate team sport.

right, because the Giants last year would've won the SB w/o Manning, and the Pats* surely would be just as good without Brady.

same with the Colts w/o Manning. Whoops...

Great game but Cuse will be in trouble if they run into a team with more than one big. Tha being said, thought Rakeem Christmas did a lot of growing up today. He looked 100% better in the second half, on both ends of the floor.

Great game but Cuse will be in trouble if they run into a team with more than one big. Tha being said, thought Rakeem Christmas did a lot of growing up today. He looked 100% better in the second half, on both ends of the floor.

I think Christmas is better on the boards than Melo, and he showed it today. Keita and Christmas both held their own on defense. And I thought Southerland had nice effort on boards in the second half. That said, it's tough to look past the fact that they gave up 25 offense boards--25!!

By the way, where are all the pundits that picked Vanderbilt over Syracuse? Did they forget that Vandy chokes every single year in the tournament?

The halftime talking heads said what I've been thinking all year...being out rebounded doesnt matter when you shoot well and force turnovers and get fouled....its just a number....

I think Christmas is better on the boards than Melo, and he showed it today. Keita and Christmas both held their own on defense. And I thought Southerland had nice effort on boards in the second half. That said, it's tough to look past the fact that they gave up 25 offense boards--25!!

By the way, where are all the pundits that picked Vanderbilt over Syracuse? Did they forget that Vandy chokes every single year in the tournament?

Whoa....

I thought Cuse played well....15 3's by wisc was unreal....

Keita was clutch today

Welcome back CJ

Kris...hit yer goddam free throws...

No kidding, was getting very nervous when he missed that one. Great game but honestly we were a better team then they are even without Melo. It would've been a blowout if they weren't hitting 3's on every attempt. Can't wait for the next game!

I'm stunned at how many 3's Wisconsin hit. A number were good looks; but a ton were contested. Wisconsin's the type of team you never want to lose to in the tournament. They'll get hot and beat you, and then they'll get blown out by 20 in the next round.

Syracuse looked unstoppable on offense. We got whatever we wanted in the paint, off the dribble--really good, high percentage shots.

Agreed on K Joseph; guy choked at the FT line. Could have cost us the game.

I'm stunned at how many 3's Wisconsin hit. A number were good looks; but a ton were contested. Wisconsin's the type of team you never want to lose to in the tournament. They'll get hot and beat you, and then they'll get blown out by 20 in the next round.

Yah, kinda like when Oklahoma make every 3 vs us and then missed all of the same shots vs unc the next round.

Agreed on K Joseph; guy choked at the FT line. Could have cost us the game.

Guy missed a FT, it happens. Scoop turning the ball over at the end of the 1st half with the shot clock turned off could've cost us the game too (for the 2nd yr in a row).

Yah, kinda like when Oklahoma make every 3 vs us and then missed all of the same shots vs unc the next round.

Guy missed a FT, it happens. Scoop turning the ball over at the end of the 1st half with the shot clock turned off could've cost us the game too (for the 2nd yr in a row).

You just have to factor in a couple of bonehead Scoop plays a game and plan to overcome them. Scoop also made some clutch baskets/plays that you could argue helped us win the game too. As many times as he makes me shake my head and curse his name I'm certainly going to miss him when he's gone. Kid has tons of heart.

Crazy game last night. After Wisco's 5th three in a row I was about to turn the tv off and go to bed, certain that fate was against us. Never ceases to amaze me how many teams hit their threes against us.

I think the 2-3 is a main reason we seem to be more vulnerable to the deep shot..its certainly a game changer

You just have to factor in a couple of bonehead Scoop plays a game and plan to overcome them. Scoop also made some clutch baskets/plays that you could argue helped us win the game too. As many times as he makes me shake my head and curse his name I'm certainly going to miss him when he's gone. Kid has tons of heart.

Crazy game last night. After Wisco's 5th three in a row I was about to turn the tv off and go to bed, certain that fate was against us. Never ceases to amaze me how many teams hit their threes against us.

I have no rooting interest other than to enjoy a good ballgame.

That being said, nobody on this crew should ever be allowed to call a tournament game ever again.

One of the most ruinous, incompetent officiating jobs I have ever seen on a basketball court.

I hate to complain about officiating...but that was awful on both sides...

That being said, nobody on this crew should ever be allowed to call a tournament game ever again.

One of the most ruinous, incompetent officiating jobs I have ever seen on a basketball court.

F*** him!

Ugh. What a run it could've been.... Thanks fab.

Other than the bad teams who I knew were never going anywhere, have probably never been less upset with a tournament loss before. Losing Fab and drawing the best 2seed by a mile was just too ****ty of a combo to overcome (honestly we probably make the F4 in any other region).

Oh well I think we're getting another title pretty soon here if we keep churning out these teams; maybe we can even have our actual starting 5 as a 1seed for once?

GG 2012. Good luck Scoop & Kris.

Thought it was very reminiscent of the '04 semi's of Uconn vs. Duke where the refs basically ruined what could've been a great game by trying to be the stars of the show. Just so so bad.

The officiating did us in. It was a tightly officiated game, and we couldn't afford a game like that losing Fab and the 5 fouls we would have had out of him.

But we still had a chance; too many dumb turnovers down the stretch was the bigger problem.

Oh, well. Very weird, but successful season. Farewell seniors (and probably Fab and Waiters), and welcome aboard Coleman, Grant, and hopefully Noel!

And Cooney...and you are right about officiating and mistakes...waiters misses a dunk and layup...joseph misses a layup...triche and joseph miss 1 free throw late...theres 8 points SU gave up with zero ref impact and we lost by 7...can't blame officials...osu dealt with the same bad calls

The officiating did us in. It was a tightly officiated game, and we couldn't afford a game like that losing Fab and the 5 fouls we would have had out of him.

But we still had a chance; too many dumb turnovers down the stretch was the bigger problem.

Oh, well. Very weird, but successful season. Farewell seniors (and probably Fab and Waiters), and welcome aboard Coleman, Grant, and hopefully Noel!

most fouls called against one team in the tourney in 3 years.

Waiters hadn't had more than 3 fouls in any game all year.

Southerland had 4 fouls in only 1 game this year, and he fouled out yesterday in 11 minutes.

The "charge" on Triche late in the 1st half was a killer. He made the basket, and the defender was in the "restricted area", which means that it should have been called a block. So, instead of Triche going to the FT line, to complete a 3-point play, the basket was waived off. And Boeheim was called for a T...4-point swing right there.

Sullinger, meanwhile, f-bombs a ref shortly after being whistled for his 2nd foul, and no T is called

Southerland had 4 fouls in only 1 game this year, and he fouled out yesterday in 11 minutes.

The "charge" on Triche late in the 1st half was a killer. He made the basket, and the defender was in the "restricted area", which means that it should have been called a block. So, instead of Triche going to the FT line, to complete a 3-point play, the basket was waived off. And Boeheim was called for a T...4-point swing right there.

Sullinger, meanwhile, f-bombs a ref shortly after being whistled for his 2nd foul, and no T is called

I think media outlets and by extension casual fans have a hard time understanding that not all bad calls are created equal. EG, 1 of the bogus calls against Ohio St was a basket interference play when the ball was off the cylinder. But if you look at it the guy missed the tip and they blew the whistle after we got the rebound. It was like a football penalty that gets declined; the impact of that blown call is zero. The Triche "charge" had a gigantic impact as you say.

Somehow I feel worse today watching a Kansas team who I don't think is that good advance. As much as I don't like Kentucky I kinda hope they win it since they're the only team I don't think we could've beaten. I don't have anything against L'ville but them winning it would make me not want to bother with the reg. season anymore (of course i said this about uconn last yr too).

I wouldnt say he f bombed the ref. camera panned to him on the bench and you could read his lips saying "that's f'n Bs". Look I'm not saying Cuse wasn't hit with some bogus calls but OSU was also. Can't remember who it was but at one point in first half someone from Cuse took it to the basket and ended up shooting two when there was clearly no contact. The only remotely possible contact came well before the shooting motion even started but dude still was at the line. Craft getting nailed for two fouls in about 20 sec? First one maybe cuz it looked like he got frustrated but second one was BS. Bad officiating all around but Cuse only have themselves to blame for not taking advantage of Sullinger on the pine for most of the first half. OSU was the better team last night and deserved to win.

would have been interesting to see how a full strength Cuse 2-3 would have worked against UK. That Anthony Davis is something else! Hard to say how that game would have, could have gone.....Thanks for nothing Melo! :censored:

This sort of belongs in this thread. Pretty poor game last night; Kansas didn't give Kentucky much of a fight.

Kansas deserved to be there, but at full strength, I think Cuse and Carolina would have given KY more of a run for their money.

would have been interesting to see how a full strength Cuse 2-3 would have worked against UK. That Anthony Davis is something else! Hard to say how that game would have, could have gone.....Thanks for nothing Melo! :censored:

Amen to that. Unlike Davis--who I like and I think is a good kid--Melo is and has always has been a dope. The fact that he beat his girlfriend, and then flaked out on us when it mattered most-- so long, pal. I'll remember you like I remember Donte "d league" Greene.

The silver lining is that I like next year's team. We get sharp shooting Cooney. We finally get to see MCW with some serious minutes. Christmas will take a big leap. Reports are that Coleman is doing great. If we get Noel, then we're back to a #1 seed; but even without him, this is a #3 seed tourney team, with some dangerous weapons.

This sort of belongs in this thread. Pretty poor game last night; Kansas didn't give Kentucky much of a fight.

Kansas deserved to be there, but at full strength, I think Cuse and Carolina would have given KY more of a run for their money.

No doubt. Considering they were all close games and close to home; Purdue, NC St, and UNC minus their PG was one of the least impressive runs to the F4 I've seen. I was surprised they won on Saturday (Ohio St certainly helped them).

I wish it were easier to hate on this Kentucky team, but they actually seem like decent kids and play really hard.

Amen to that. Unlike Davis--who I like and I think is a good kid--Melo is and has always has been a dope. The fact that he beat his girlfriend, and then flaked out on us when it mattered most-- so long, pal. I'll remember you like I remember Donte "d league" Greene.

The silver lining is that I like next year's team. We get sharp shooting Cooney. We finally get to see MCW with some serious minutes. Christmas will take a big leap. Reports are that Coleman is doing great. If we get Noel, then we're back to a #1 seed; but even without him, this is a #3 seed tourney team, with some dangerous weapons.

It's amazing they didn't lose more games without either a post scorer or a dead eye 3pt shooter. I don't know if Coleman and Cooney can be those guys but if they can it could be a better team next year; though their record will almost certainly be worse.

It's amazing they didn't lose more games without either a post scorer or a dead eye 3pt shooter. I don't know if Coleman and Cooney can be those guys but if they can it could be a better team next year; though their record will almost certainly be worse.

I'm sure he's still a few years away, but I'd love to see Christmas develop into an Onuaku-like post player. Just get a baby hook, and then run more offense through him. Coleman seems like he could be raw, but probably will make us forget about our rebounding woes.

Consider the 3 point threats next year--MCW, Cooney, Southerland, and Triche. Not a bad array of players.

not really applicable to the theme of this thread....but not worthy of its own thread.

Was at the 76ers/Raptors game last night in Philly, Leo Rautins is the color commentary guy for the Raptors...went up to the broadcast table and gave him a "Leo", "Cuse" and a thumbs up....such fond memories of seeing him play at SU, was there for the 82(?) triple overtime game in the B.E. Tourney. Would have loved to have been able to speak with him, but alas he was busy working...

That would be a real surprise

rumor floating around now is that he's set on Georgetown.

For a kid who's a one-and-done, why go there? Wouldn't he want a legitimate shot to win a NC?

Actually its not that big of a surprise...they have been part of his decision against the 'bigger' SU and KY...we'll see what happens

That would be a real surprise