SU Hoops 2011 edition...

The Poojer

The UF win was a nice one for the Cuse!! Poojer, thanks for starting the yearly thread on this. If we can make it through whatever the Fine case brings against the program this year, they have the makings of being a pretty special team. A few thoughts in no particular order...

1. Fab Melo is a different player, what a jump from Frosh to Soph. If he plays like he did tonight we are a different team. I don't mind a couple of those goal tend calls, reminds me of when Ewing would do that just to intimidate under the hoop.

2. Scoop must be a coaches nightmare, so streaky...looks terrible in the first half and then wins the game in the second.

3. We have to shoot better than we did tonight, or we have to stop taking freaking jumpers and get to the hoop.

4. We are as deep and as talented as I can remember...deeper than 2003 IMO.

5. It is sooo impressive that Cooney would redshirt and stay with the team. He is a top shelf recruit, a great shooting guard. That speaks volumes to the coaches and their recruitment/relationship with their recruits.

6. I was impressed that after a sluggish show in NYC these guys came out and looked the part against a top ten team. Florida will be very good in the SEC this year and we handled them down the stretch. The final score was closer than the game was.

Go Cuse!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. A little sloppy for stretches, but thought Fair, Triche, and Scoop looked good.

They still need some better flow offensively--too many times they settle for really tough, 1-on-1 shots (which they amazingly make). I'd like to see Joseph post up more, which might help open things up offensively.

Yah I'm not too optimistic that the offense is ever going to be fluid in the halfcourt. They lack both a post presence and a Guard that can penetrate consistently. That pretty much relegates you to screening for open shots, and some NBA style isolation. Sometimes offensive rebounds off missed shots is their best offense.

didn't see the game last night against the Thundering Herd, but it sounded pretty ugly...62 points? 6 point win...yikes....nice to see waiters stepping up his game big time.

They got absolutely killed on the glass. Lots of second/third chances for the Herd, not so many for Syracuse. Still, it was a 16 point lead with less than 3 minutes left (IIRC) so the final score isn't really indicative of the game. They are lucky Marshall couldn't hit a 3 until late in the game.

Didn't see the GW game, but looked like a laugher.

Not sure if this team is that good (esp. with the recent rebounding and 3-point shooting woes), but they're heading to #1 next week...

Funny but true. A fairly underwhelming #1, but i still like it.

Prepare to hear "first road game of the year" from espn ~872 times this week. I hope we smack NIT State in the mouth.

Edited by BuffOrange

Funny but true. A fairly underwhelming #1, but i still like it.

Prepare to hear "first road game of the year" from espn ~872 times this week. I hope we smack NIT State in the mouth.

Remember last year? Cuse played a bunch of games in New Jersey, NYC, and I think another east coast state. The pundits extended Syracuse's "home turf" and kept saying that the team hadn't "played a true road game outside of the tri-state area yet." We'll never win on this one.

Very nice win. No wonder Duke wins the ACC tournament every year - this is the sort of crappy team they normally play in the semi's.

Agreed. The middling ACC teams are no comparison to the mid-range BE teams.

I loved seeing the Cuse shoot well from outside. Another nice surprise tonight was CJ Fair--really smooth offensive game.

By the way, how can that be our first "true" road game when half the crowd was pro-Syracuse?

Nice to see the Bucknell game televised on ESPN-U.

I actually thought the defense looked lousy. Bucknell had so many wide open looks it was ridiculous--too bad for them they couldn't make any of them. Offense though was still humming.

Nice to see Christmas getting some PT. I wish he were getting more. Based on the fact that he's gotten almost no serious minutes, once BE season starts, he's going to be useless.

I continue to be amazed at Melo's turn around, Waiters & Fair have really stepped up. Sutherland can be deadly, Scoop seems to have contained himself, and Triche is simply a really low key, very consistent and effective player...

Nice to see the Bucknell game televised on ESPN-U.

I actually thought the defense looked lousy. Bucknell had so many wide open looks it was ridiculous--too bad for them they couldn't make any of them. Offense though was still humming.

Nice to see Christmas getting some PT. I wish he were getting more. Based on the fact that he's gotten almost no serious minutes, once BE season starts, he's going to be useless.

• 2 weeks later...

very nice game last night against seton hall...fab melo just continues to amaze after his freshman season performances....a nearly 30 point win and Kris Joseph doesn't even score a point. This team looks really strong...sure they will have some down games, but it will be really interesting to see how they play against the likes of Louisville, Pitt & Notre Dame. What an exciting team. :thumbsup:

very nice game last night against seton hall...fab melo just continues to amaze after his freshman season performances....a nearly 30 point win and Kris Joseph doesn't even score a point. This team looks really strong...sure they will have some down games, but it will be really interesting to see how they play against the likes of Louisville, Pitt & Notre Dame. What an exciting team. :thumbsup:

They won by nearly 30 and I thought that their 'energy level' or intensity, whatever you want to call it was low (they appeared workman-like, not that there's anything wrong with that). It will be really interesting to see how they come out against some of the top league teams.

They started off slow, but at the end of the 2nd half, they were making everything. They were 4-18 shooting at one point and ended up making 61% of their shots. Triche had a decent game making 4 straight 3's in the 2nd half and the defense got more stout as the game went on.

Waiters is the real deal and Melo has been playing some decent ball underneath.

I don't know if I've gotten spoiled or it's just the Big East being down this year - I can usually enjoy the ride; but this is the first time I've ever had a "lets get on to March feeling" about the team. I don't even have that feeling that we're going to blow a game in the Dome to one of these teams we shouldn't, even after seeing it happen just about every year of my life.

Edited by BuffOrange

I was nervous about last nights game....providence came out strong and we have some injuries, keita and sutherland, as well as Fab has been...I don't feel completely comfortable with just he and christmas out there..luckily sutherland was able to play...

triche and joseph look so smooth out there...hardly any effort. Jardine is really playing under control so much more than ever before. Waiters and Fair are absolute money....not sure why carter williams and triche were on the bench most of the second half...could have used them out there when they got to within 6, or before to prevent that...

this team really seems to be the real deal..so deep...but, as temple showed...any night, anyone can beat anyone else...

I don't know if I've gotten spoiled or it's just the Big East being down this year - I can usually enjoy the ride; but this is the first time I've ever had a "lets get on to March feeling" about the team. I don't even have that feeling that we're going to blow a game in the Dome to one of these teams we shouldn't, even after seeing it happen just about every year of my life.

that's a tough one to answer because waiters didn't come with the hype nor does he take the stage like flynn did...waiters comes off the bench and isn't flashy...he just performs...i guess the lack of fanfare and publicity makes even me say flynn was better....tough problem to have though, isn't it????

A friend of mine asked me if I thought Waiters is better than Jonny Flynn. What do you guys think?

I think so. Waiters is so crafty around the rim.

A friend of mine asked me if I thought Waiters is better than Jonny Flynn. What do you guys think?

Its hard to compare the two because Waiters plays the Rautins in this offense...he's the 2 guard, while Flynn ran the point. Waiters is such a pure shooter and is making 37% of his 3's.

this team really seems to be the real deal..so deep...but, as temple showed...any night, anyone can beat anyone else...

Well that's kinda my point - Temple is a decent team on par with Cincinnati - better than anyone we play on the road this year sans L'ville & Uconn. That wasn't really a huge upset to me.

Too early to say. I was a big Flynn fan and he was a really good player but he never really dominated until the Big East Tourney run in his 2nd yr (which included the 6ot game of course). I think if Waiters stays another year he'll be remembered as a better player.

How about Pitt and Nova going down again? They may not even make the NIT at this rate.

By the way, for directv viewers, I think we get free college bball full court trial, starting this weekend for about a week. That will allow us to watch this Saturday's game on TV, as opposed to espn3.com, which is what I've been doing.

It amazes me that the #1 team in one of the top conferences in the country is nearly impossible to see on the traditional sports channels

How about Pitt and Nova going down again? They may not even make the NIT at this rate.

By the way, for directv viewers, I think we get free college bball full court trial, starting this weekend for about a week. That will allow us to watch this Saturday's game on TV, as opposed to espn3.com, which is what I've been doing.

It amazes me that the #1 team in one of the top conferences in the country is nearly impossible to see on the traditional sports channels

I agree. This year has been the worst in memory. Just about every game isn't being televised. How do you not show Marquette/Syracuse, even on espn2? That's a very possible upset, seeing how marquette smoked us twice last year.

whats up with Michael Carter Williams? he didn't play in the 2nd half of the previous game, and none of todays....he was on the bench, but didn't make it in the game...

Nice win.

Boy, do I hate Marquette. Their style is to push and shove guys out of the way to create space in the zone. They can out-grind teams that way, but it's not a sustainable way to win.

whats up with Michael Carter Williams? he didn't play in the 2nd half of the previous game, and none of todays....he was on the bench, but didn't make it in the game...

Don't think we was ready for a game like this (or JB thought so)....though Scoop needed to hit the pine. Bad Scoop out there today.

If Fab wasn't in foul trouble, this game would have been a blow-out.

going down to south philly tonight for the 'Cuse v. 'Nova game. gonna try and scalp tickets, with 'Nova so down this year, hoping to get them for $20-30, if that doesn't happen, I will head over to McFaddens at the baseball stadium or Chickie & Petes and watch it with the S. Philly folk!!!

GO ORANGE!!!!!

going down to south philly tonight for the 'Cuse v. 'Nova game. gonna try and scalp tickets, with 'Nova so down this year, hoping to get them for $20-30, if that doesn't happen, I will head over to McFaddens at the baseball stadium or Chickie & Petes and watch it with the S. Philly folk!!!

GO ORANGE!!!!!

Have a great time! Hope you get seats. Going to be fun to see whiney Jay Wright get blasted at home...

when it comes to these 2 teams, nothing is ever as easy as it seems...and if you look at the craziness going on in the big east right now, i just can't help to be a bit cautious about this game. That may also be a byproduct of being a Bills fan! :wallbash:

Have a great time! Hope you get seats. Going to be fun to see whiney Jay Wright get blasted at home...