Charley Casserly, CBS Sports on the Bills

Hsp08

I have not been impressed with Gailey, but what choice did he have but to throw the ball when they were down 21-0 before he got his headset working?

Since there was a lot of time left in the game, you don't think that you can score 24-28 points in 3 quarters with a lot of running mixed in (if you are having success running)? I think that when coaches give up on the run because they are behind early, they give away the game. Running also helps you keep the opposing offense (that you can't stop) off of the field. The chances of a fumble are relatively less than the chances of an interception. Now, if you are behind by 14 and it is halfway through the 3rd quarter, you'd better start moving. By the way - can't you hurry up after a rush play? Doesn't the clock stop after a rush out of bounds? What about the 3 timeouts he started the FIRST HALF with? Bad game management to go all pass-happy when you are down 21.

High draft pick here we come. Hopefully another complete draft of defensive players.

What's the CB crop look like?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, Ryan Fitz has issues managing games. Like Casserly's article, the Bills look like they have peaked--Fitz might have peaked as well...

Watching Tom Brady last night, the Pats WR's were all jammed at the line...it wasn't until Brady utlized Gronkowski, a big body TE, who was mismatched up with smaller CB's over 50% of the offensive plays--something which Brady knew would happen and Gronkowski turned in one of his better games for a TE in the 2011 season.

In 2012, this team will look different. This team is on the cusp of becoming a solid group. Sadly, I think we just gave Fitz a starters contract to become a backup in the future.

Going forward, providing this team via free agency and/or draft with a qaulity TE and WR will be a need!

Firing Edwards should also be a priority, Wan'stache' should be given the DC duties.

Depth on OL and DL.

Possibly getting a QB of the future via free agency and/or draft.

Brady is a top 5 qb of all time. Should possibly be inducted into the hof while he is still playing. Comparing fitzgerald to him is Plain stupid. Brady does things and makes reads that ally of dc's can't see and he does it in about 3 seconds.

We are seeing a few things here. We have some pieces in place but not even half but we are getting there. Our lack of depth at even serviceable positions is pathetic. I think the fact that we went 8 weeks with our current weaknesses is actually a testament to our coaching staff. Intact taking this team to 8-8 is a huge improvement a winning record would be icing

I have also thought most of this year that Steve Johnson is not worth nearly the money he is asking. You lock Fred up for the remainder of his career and you offer sj13 an average no 1 reciever contract and get his twitter authenticated because that is what he deserves. Wr is still a position of need. If an an green slips to around 15 you jump. Of a first round prospect falls to the second you get it. Other than that you got to find some help at pb it needs help and depth. I actually think we only need 1 more corner. Regardless of draft choice I think we would be significantly better here with 2 more lbs

And found something he's good at, because that analysis was spot on.

as a gm and pro personel guy he sucked as gm from 1990-1997 with the Skins check out ole Charley's selections in the first round:

1991 17 Bobby Wilson DT Michigan State

1992 4 Desmond Howard WR Michigan

1993 19 Tom Carter DB Notre Dame

1994 3 Heath Shuler QB Tennessee

1995 4 Michael Westbrook WR Colorado

1996 30 Andre Johnson T Penn State

1997 17 Kenard Lang DE Miami (FL)

holy crap !

Edited by CardinalScotts

Couple of points he makes regarding the weak OL and lack of variety in WR is something that NOT too many people were saying early in the season when we were winning. Even today, there is little acknowledgement that there are severe limitations on the O side due to these two factors. The fact that we were masking them early on does not mean they did not exist. We just had a novel approach which won us several games till opposing DCs caught on.

That's because before injury, the line was not weak. The left side especially was pretty good. Now, Wr is a different story.

Great comment. Maybe now people will start realizing that the Bills really need upgrades at the OT and WR positions. The happy talk about how good the o-line is should disappear now.

A shrink would have a field day with the psychology of the average Bills fan. Literally TWO WEEKS AGO (14 days ago) we were sitting at 5-2 and coming off a shutout win. Two bad games later and we're terrible? The Ryan boys stop the Bills offense for a couple games and that means the league has figured us out? Come on ...

And the really weird part is that some people on this board actually seem to get some satisfaction out of being able to say the Bills suck again. It's like a part of them is happy they don't have to get their hopes up about the Bills again, only to be let down.

People, it's two bad games. It's true that when you're winning it feels like you can never lose, and when you're losing it feels like you can never win. But seasons have ebbs and flows. No one is this league is that great, aside from the Packers. The Ravens have lost to the Jags and the Seahawks. The Niners are 8-1 with largely the same talent they had last year. I'm not counting the Bills out against anyone. We're going to beat the Dolphins, which will set up another monster game vs. the Jets. Find a way to win that, and we're 7-4 and in very good playoff position. This self-loathing nonsense has to stop.

This basically sums it up:

Thoughts on Sunday's games:

1. Buffalo -- The Bills were held to 146 yards passing. In talking to defensive coordinators, they felt the way to stop Buffalo's offense was to jam their receivers at the line of scrimmage -- be physical with them, disrupt their timing. This makes Ryan Fitzpatrick hold the ball. The thought is the Bills tackles are not good enough to hold up against good ends on the pass rush. The other point is to do a good job of limiting the receivers' yards after the catch, which people have been able to do. The reason this strategy works is because the Bills don't have exceptional receivers that are hard to press. Buffalo's run defense continues to struggle (163 yards allowed) and their defense can't put pressure on the QB (no sacks). I think people have the formula to beat Buffalo. Buffalo, in my opinion, has peaked and will struggle from here on out.

Here is the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16112140/week-10-thoughts-magic-is-over-for-bills

Our OT is the weak point of the OL, very true. We all knew that gpoing into the season.

With Bell and Hairston out that is really hurting. Bell was developing and had a nice year going, too bad. Andy is putting up a good fight but lets face it, he is a LG, not a LT.

Add in the below average play of Roosevelt and Jones and there you have it. We really do miss Lee Evans (sorry Lee haters) and it looks like Stevie is playing dinged up.

Time for Chan to use more motion and make it easier for guys to get into their pass patterns. More reliance on the run game and the TE too. Stay out of 3rd and long.

The first five games of the season we had enough talent to play our game. Injuries and familiarity are now hurting the offense. That and poorer execution by Fitz who has not been getting the time to throw anymore.

Brady is a top 5 qb of all time. Should possibly be inducted into the hof while he is still playing. Comparing fitzgerald to him is Plain stupid. Brady does things and makes reads that ally of dc's can't see and he does it in about 3 seconds.

We are seeing a few things here. We have some pieces in place but not even half but we are getting there. Our lack of depth at even serviceable positions is pathetic. I think the fact that we went 8 weeks with our current weaknesses is actually a testament to our coaching staff. Intact taking this team to 8-8 is a huge improvement a winning record would be icing

I have also thought most of this year that Steve Johnson is not worth nearly the money he is asking. You lock Fred up for the remainder of his career and you offer sj13 an average no 1 reciever contract and get his twitter authenticated because that is what he deserves. Wr is still a position of need. If an an green slips to around 15 you jump. Of a first round prospect falls to the second you get it. Other than that you got to find some help at pb it needs help and depth. I actually think we only need 1 more corner. Regardless of draft choice I think we would be significantly better here with 2 more lbs

There is no doubt Brady is an all time great, and Fitz will never be good enough to carry his underwear, but that statement is stupid.

When the defense gives up drives like they do, the offense is handicapped by it's predictability. Fitz starts the 1st half down 7 and the second half down 30. I'm telling you. A good defense would fix that offense.

You wow me with your insightful analysis.

You make a good point JPS, and it is true that a good defense allows an offense to try some different tactics to get on the board. When the other team is carving you up it forces the offense to throw more and become that much more predictable; not a good combination when you see the talent and depth of our line - not knocking guys we were recently praising, but they are used to holding their blocks for a certain amount of time and teams are forcing them to hold a second longer. A good defense would also keep us in games when the offense is simply struggling to move the ball.

Good teams have the defense to keep them in games till their offense can put together drives.

Chan said early on in the year that some folks would try to put them up on a pedestal and neither he nor buddy thought they were there yet. We are a draft and a few free-agents away from being able to dictate games and this team still has to find a way to cut down on injuries better than it has thus far.

You make a good point JPS, and it is true that a good defense allows an offense to try some different tactics to get on the board. When the other team is carving you up it forces the offense to throw more and become that much more predictable; not a good combination when you see the talent and depth of our line - not knocking guys we were recently praising, but they are used to holding their blocks for a certain amount of time and teams are forcing them to hold a second longer. A good defense would also keep us in games when the offense is simply struggling to move the ball.

Good teams have the defense to keep them in games till their offense can put together drives.

Chan said early on in the year that some folks would try to put them up on a pedestal and neither he nor buddy thought they were there yet. We are a draft and a few free-agents away from being able to dictate games and this team still has to find a way to cut down on injuries better than it has thus far.

Chan has some major culpability in regards to these last two games. He clearly doesn't care about what's going on with the defense. The offense hasn't changed a thing to counteract what the defenses are doing to slow them down. This team has looked unfocused and ill prepared as if they were back in preseason. I get that there are injuries, but people act as if the backups have never played football before. They're NFL players and should be expected to come in and play at an NFL level.

This is Chan's fault. I don't mind losing to the Jets and Cowboys, I seriously mind the team getting their doors blown in and looking completely lost out there. Chan Gailey looks like the offensive version of Dick Jauron, slow to make adjustments and not interested in what the players on the other side of the ball are doing. There's no reason why the Bills have played as badly as they've played these last two games other than the head coach.

The Spiller pick was bad not because of Spllier's talent level, but it was bad because RB was not even close to a need for the Bills. The picks of Maybin and McKelvin were picks in need positions. The poblem there is the picker could not find talented players.

The question is:

1. Do you want someone who can judge talent, but doesn't know what area to draft or ...

2. Someone who can't judge talent?

For me, I'll take someone who can judge talent.

Just my opinion

I would like someone who can pick talent. Buddy has not proven that at all. You make it sound like Spiller is a great player. He is a mediocre player that will never be close to Reggie Bush. (another overated undersized RB) Do you think any team would even offer us a 2nd round pick for Spiller?

I would like someone who can pick talent. Buddy has not proven that at all. You make it sound like Spiller is a great player. He is a mediocre player that will never be close to Reggie Bush. (another overated undersized RB) Do you think any team would even offer us a 2nd round pick for Spiller?

Three very good reasons to give Spiller a lot more touches is to see if he can create a needed new dimension for this offense, see if they do have a valuable trade commodity and to save wear and tear on Jackson who isn't a young RB.

As much as people think Spiller's a bust, he simply hasn't been given an honest chance to prove himself one way or the other.

As much as people think Spiller's a bust, he simply hasn't been given an honest chance to prove himself one way or the other.

And why is that do you think? My guess it is because of what Gailey sees during the week in practice.

We the fans don't need to see Spiller play. We also do not decide how many touches he gets. It is Gaileys decision as to how much to play Spiller based on how capable the coaches, and mainly Gailey, thinks he is. If he sucks in practice (which I am assuming he is doing or he would be getting more touches), what makes you think a superstar will emerge on the field game day?

And why is that do you think? My guess it is because of what Gailey sees during the week in practice.

We the fans don't need to see Spiller play. We also do not decide how many touches he gets. It is Gaileys decision as to how much to play Spiller based on how capable the coaches, and mainly Gailey, thinks he is. If he sucks in practice (which I am assuming he is doing or he would be getting more touches), what makes you think a superstar will emerge on the field game day?

That's precisely why Spiller isn't seeing the field very much. Gailey has seen a superstar emerge in the form of Freddy Jackson and, like he did with Fitz and the receivers, he is devising ways to take advantage of Jackson's talent. It's not so much that Spiller sucks but that Freddy is just so damn good.

GO BILLS!!!

Too bad Casserly could never figure out how to build a winner in Houston. Well at least he found other work.

PTR

This is hilarious...the first thing that popped in my head when I read the original post is how I am sure somewhere on the first page of this thread Promo is going to write some smart ass whiney comment or slam on either the poster or Casserly because he gets his panties in a wad anytime someone speaks the truth about the Bills.

This is hilarious...the first thing that popped in my head when I read the original post is how I am sure somewhere on the first page of this thread Promo is going to write some smart ass whiney comment or slam on either the poster or Casserly because he gets his panties in a wad anytime someone speaks the truth about the Bills.

:worthy: Funny but oh so true :worthy:

Gailey thought Edwards was better than Fitzpatrick. This shows that Gailey isn't the "end all be all" in the talent evaluating department.

Spiller has shown signs of being a playmaker this year and he needs to start getting about ten touches on game day. Give him a real shot to show what he has to offer.

If he becomes the player we all thought he'd be, the Bills could possibly parlay him into a trade to fill one of the many holes we have on this team.

1. Buffalo -- The Bills were held to 146 yards passing. In talking to defensive coordinators, they felt the way to stop Buffalo's offense was to jam their receivers at the line of scrimmage -- be physical with them, disrupt their timing. This makes Ryan Fitzpatrick hold the ball. The thought is the Bills tackles are not good enough to hold up against good ends on the pass rush. The other point is to do a good job of limiting the receivers' yards after the catch, which people have been able to do. The reason this strategy works is because the Bills don't have exceptional receivers that are hard to press. Buffalo's run defense continues to struggle (163 yards allowed) and their defense can't put pressure on the QB (no sacks). I think people have the formula to beat Buffalo. Buffalo, in my opinion, has peaked and will struggle from here on out.

This is the problem. Bell out, Kyle Williams out, Hairston out, Wood out, season done. Dareus is one piece of the future pressure on the QB, but so was Kyle Williams. That's a draft priority and a FA priority. A large press-beating WR is also a draft and FA priority. Shep needs experience, Batten needs experience, Carrington needs experience. You also need depth everywhere except RB and possibly FS. Yes, you need a QB to groom, and a OLB that's fast and mean, and so on. How do you prioritize these needs?