QB sneaks almost *always* work in very short yardage situations

I mean, it's freaking obvious, right? I'd love for someone to ask Gailey about that at a press conference and come armed with stats to back up the question. What I'd like even more is for the Bills to realize this and opt for it in very short yardage situations.

Not only that - but do that a few times successfully, enough to get a little reputation for it, and one of those 4th-and-inches will turn into a tasty play-action touchdown.

I wonder if Fitz saw something at the line that for whatever reason made him think the sneak wouldn't work, because he could've just opted out of the run.

Most people would say use your horse on such plays...except when it doesn't work. It wasn't Freddy's best day.

PTR

It was 4th and about 2 inches, QB sneak is almost always the right call in that situation. Why use a slow developing play handing a guy the ball who is lined up 6 yards behind the LoS when the QB just has to surge forward about a foot? I've only seen QB sneaks fail in those situations about a few times.

And it has nothing to do with "except when it doesn't work" I'd imagine most were calling for the sneak well before the play - I know I was.

I also wouldn't have minded seeing them roll Fitz out with an option to throw to a TE or run for the first. I'd have preferred anything but simply running Freddy up the gut when the Jets had stopped those short yardage plays all game long.

It was 4th and about 2 inches, QB sneak is almost always the right call in that situation. Why use a slow developing play handing a guy the ball who is lined up 6 yards behind the LoS when the QB just has to surge forward about a foot? I've only seen QB sneaks fail in those situations about a few times.

And it has nothing to do with "except when it doesn't work" I'd imagine most were calling for the sneak well before the play - I know I was.

I also wouldn't have minded seeing them roll Fitz out with an option to throw to a TE or run for the first. I'd have preferred anything but simply running Freddy up the gut when the Jets had stopped those short yardage plays all game long.

A bootleg but not Freddy?

A bootleg but not Freddy?

Freddy had gotten stuffed on two previous short yardage situations before that one - why bang your head against the wall? And no, not a bootleg, roll the QB out in a moving pocket and let him throw the ball to a TE and if he has the room run it - its not the same thing as a bootleg.

A sneak, or... How about Brad Smith????

Why does Chan refuse to use Smith in certain games? I mean, I don't have the stats in front of me, but it seems like he rarely, if ever, gets negative or zero yardage out of the wildcat in short yardage situations.

Like I said the play that doesn't work is ALWAYS the wrong call.

PTR

that, and the long developing run play on 3rd and 1 in the second quarter.. those two playcalls were terrible

3rd and 1 at NYJ 43	F.Jackson right guard to NYJ 44 for -1 yards (D.Harris; R.Pitoitua).

new york had everyone crashing into the middle of the line, and chan calls some long-developing run play to the middle. :shakes head:

i guess that was just a precursor to the equally bad, if not worse, call of not calling a qb sneak on 4th and inches.

Edited by bizell

Probably needed to consider a throw to the end zone there as well given the situation in the game. The play they ran is probably the worst one to call, imo.

It was the absolute worst call. The Jets were stopping runs up the middle all game. A play action scramble, almost anything else, shot into the end zone, line up Dareus and hand him the ball (could they stop that!) but giving it to Jackson again was just handing them the ball. By the way, Wood was terrible yesterday, and if Freedie wants a new contract, perhpas he should try catching the balls that are thrown to him.

Edited by RyanC883

Like I said the play that doesn't work is ALWAYS the wrong call.

PTR

:thumbsup: People are really gripping here...we are all disappointed with the outcome yesterday, but I don't think the Bills were nearly as bad as people are acting. If not for horrible field position almost the entire second half (for the offense and the defense), I think the finall score would have been much closer. I might have run the sneak with Fitz at that point too, but handing off to Fred Jackson is not the worst idea either. It just didn't work...that is why teams don't go for it on 4th down more often, it is a high risk play.

Anyways, I think the Jets had an obvious advantage defensively, but I think most knew that going in to this game. We shouldn't be shocked. Honestly, I don't think the Jets were that much better than us yesterday. Our #1 receiver had a decent day (2nd half) against Revis, the reported best CB ever... our #1 running back had nearly a 100 yards...but he had his first fumble, in the Jets red zone...the back breaker, IMO. Still half a season of football to go...this race isn't over by a long-shot.