What stupid people do...

boyst

Jack said:

You should have posted this as a new thread.

At fuel station filling up my truck. Guy in front of me has cigerette in hand and I watch him. He sees me watching him. He puts nozzle in his car, begins fueling, then lights his cigerette hiding it from me. He then goes and walks around the car. I say "hey, man, what the hell are doing smoking a g-d cigerette?" he replied, "excuse me, please don't curse at me." "m-f'er please don't put my life in danger by being an idiot." "look, man, don't talk to me anymore if you can't be respectful..." I stop him "I can and will tell you to put out that cigerette, g'd, talk about respectful, you're risking everyones life." His wife? walks out of the minimart type thing, and there is a little girl in the backseat, he looks confused...I finally say "I don't give a sht if you want to risk your own life get your head out of your arse and think about someone else, idiot." He mumbles and gets in his car and they sit there for a minute.

I go inside and pay the $160 fuel I put in...walk out, guy in the truck waiting behind me is sitting there hanging a cigette out his window. People are g'd stupid. (saying g'd in the bible belt makes people mad...I like that). I didn't embellish this at all, I really talked to this 20 something year old gangster looking kid this way. I deal with the same type all day at work and most just back down when you show some balls.

Jack's story:

Several years ago I'm filling up and smelling a lot of gas, and not like that little wiff you sometimes get. I look under my car, nope, not me. I look around the pump and on the other side is a woman pumping and I can see gas just pouring out from under her car, and she is still pumping. I call over and tell her she should stop because it's going all over the ground. She looks down and sees the puddle growing from under her car. I ended up pushing my car away from the pumps before I started it just in case.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a guy lay on his horn a couple weeks ago when I pulled over because a cop was coming the other direction with his siren on. Even better, about 20 yards in front of me was a red light.

Jack said:

At fuel station filling up my truck. Guy in front of me has cigerette in hand and I watch him. He sees me watching him. He puts nozzle in his car, begins fueling, then lights his cigerette hiding it from me. He then goes and walks around the car. I say "hey, man, what the hell are doing smoking a g-d cigerette?" he replied, "excuse me, please don't curse at me." "m-f'er please don't put my life in danger by being an idiot." "look, man, don't talk to me anymore if you can't be respectful..." I stop him "I can and will tell you to put out that cigerette, g'd, talk about respectful, you're risking everyones life." His wife? walks out of the minimart type thing, and there is a little girl in the backseat, he looks confused...I finally say "I don't give a sht if you want to risk your own life get your head out of your arse and think about someone else, idiot." He mumbles and gets in his car and they sit there for a minute.

I go inside and pay the $160 fuel I put in...walk out, guy in the truck waiting behind me is sitting there hanging a cigette out his window. People are g'd stupid. (saying g'd in the bible belt makes people mad...I like that). I didn't embellish this at all, I really talked to this 20 something year old gangster looking kid this way. I deal with the same type all day at work and most just back down when you show some balls.

Jack's story:

I had this happen to me once. Theres a big sign that warns that your cell phone might send a static charge and your going to light something on fire? Really?

People are stupid... When we lock petro-chem tows, we don't allow pleasure craft to lock through with them... There could be +9500 tons of fertilizer, oil, jet fuel, benzene, gasoline, etc... in a group of barges during one lockage. The recreational boaters get all mad when they can't get through and gotta wait an hour or more. Worse case scenario, they get caught behind 3 separate lockages of hazmat commodities... They could wait for a couple of hours, down river they could be waitng for days to transit the lock. Even during normal lockages, there are no smoking signs all over the place... Fumes from the boats and what not tend to lay low in the lock chamber... Yet, these very same boaters that just waited an hour will then lock through after the petro-chem tow left, and they will be smoking! Cigar whatever... People just don't get it.

Another one that gets me is that you see pleasure boats that probably cost in the 100's of thousands if not millions and the they don't have the common sense to buy the proper 30 dollar PFD (life vests)... It is usually worse when it comes to breaking the bank for the little children or family pets... You will see infants not properly protected. Now I don't care if some dude falls into the lock chamber and drowns their dumb arse, that just one more ahole off the planet, more power to their freedom of expression!... But at least spare the kid or the family pet from drowning after slipping off the deck!

Another story what stupid people do while boating is... One time I was locking a bunch of recreational boats toward the lake... They all leave pretty sanely, not too much wake... There were another 20 or so boats waiting to go back to the river/other way. So, one hot shot in a fancy Donzi tears out and heads north... Probably trying to show off? So he disappears up river... I clear the chamber let the other boats downbound... It takes a while, there is a bunch of boats... So I am getting ready to close the gates, when the Donzi returns getting towed by some piece of crap Jon boat (little flat bottom fishing boat)... The Jon boats drops him off and heads back to the lake... The Donzi starts pulling himself into the lock chamber along the gates, shouting that he is sinking, his motor cover up and the transom area practically cut apart while taking on water fast. While he was speeding out, he must have got to close to a bridge's crib work and did the damage. Luckily he didn't send his passenger through the windshield. Anyway, if I would have known... I would have told him to get out and go sink somewhere else, preferably in shallow water... I didn't have time to be that rude... I closed the gates and dumped the pit fast, sending him on his paddling way... Ordering him to go sink somewhere outside the navigation channel/shipping lane. It was a pretty nice boat hull that he effed up...:oops:

I had this happen to me once. Theres a big sign that warns that your cell phone might send a static charge and your going to light something on fire? Really?

From what I know....you are spot on.

Mobile phones have zero chance of causing fire/explosion at a fuel station. In the last few years over here they have removed the "No using phone" signs.

Furthermore(and sorry to "jboyst62" for this)....as far as I'm aware, cigarettes and matches are not a problem around gasoline unless there is a major concentrated build up of fumes(like in an enclosed area).

If you throw a match or a cigarette onto a pool of gasoline....they go out.

There is a chance that I am wrong on this....but I'm fairly sure it is correct.

Mobile phones have zero chance of causing fire/explosion at a fuel station. In the last few years over here they have removed the "No using phone" signs.

Furthermore(and sorry to "jboyst62" for this)....as far as I'm aware, cigarettes and matches are not a problem around gasoline unless there is a major concentrated build up of fumes(like in an enclosed area).

Give it a try and be sure to let us know how it comes out. :devil:

It is possible to suffocate matches with gasoline. I actually observed this as a kid when a neighbor was attempting to burn a brush pile using matches and gas (frankly we were both lucky as this is a very stupd way to start a pile of brush on fire) - however it is also possible that you may not - not a risk I would want to take. As for smoking at the fuel pump I would guess that the majority oif the time there would not be an issue. However, common sense would tell you that in the off chance there was a problem, say a spill of gasoline or a leak from a fuel tank, that you just would not want the problem. Wait ten minutes and smoke the cig when you are well away from the pumps.

You are correct... Boaters get even more pissed when we tell them they can't lock through with empty petrol-chem tankers. I gave up trying to tell them that the empty ones are more dangerous because of the fumes that they may be emitting. Yeah right, try to tell that to a pie-eyed person who has been drinking on the water all day! :wallbash:

Same with 3,200 tons of fertilizer.... I get: "It is only fertilizer." dry.gif

Texas City, 1947

It is possible to suffocate matches with gasoline. I actually observed this as a kid when a neighbor was attempting to burn a brush pile using matches and gas (frankly we were both lucky as this is a very stupd way to start a pile of brush on fire) - however it is also possible that you may not - not a risk I would want to take. As for smoking at the fuel pump I would guess that the majority oif the time there would not be an issue. However, common sense would tell you that in the off chance there was a problem, say a spill of gasoline or a leak from a fuel tank, that you just would not want the problem. Wait ten minutes and smoke the cig when you are well away from the pumps.

I don't know what it is? Becoming desensitized to threat? Sure nothing most likely will happen. The problem I would have to deal with is IF something did happen. It is enough that you would have to take care of your co-worker, the crew members and yourself IF there was an explosion let alone 100 other idiots. You can't micromanage the 100 idiots and what they do and may not do... Me, if I see it at a pump... I just get the eff away. A few years ago... I had a boater ready to get run over and smushed by an oncoming tow. Early on, I got on the speaker and asked him to signal me if there was a problem with his vessel, so as to call off the approaching tow. NO reply. They eff with you all the time and move at the last second. The tow was bearing down on them... laying on its whistle. I had to ride to the wall and read them the riot act while ready to evacuate them off the craft to the wall... It is a bit of a step up from a small boat to the guidewall, no ladders. All the guy kept on saying is: "What do you want me to do?" I replied with: "First put down the bottle of beer." Anyway, the tow heard me early and was able to back down (wind conditions were favorable)... Somebody else in another pleasure boat rode in front of of the oncoming tow (surprising they laid their vessel and personal safety on the line) and plucked the vessel away with a tow line.

Give it a try and be sure to let us know how it comes out. :devil:

When I was young and stupid I did. I was trying to light a petrol trail and it simply wouldn't light with a match or cigarette thrown into it.

Though I'm sure it wouldn't ignite.....I still never smoke around a fuel station.

0:)

I know for a fact you throw a match in a pool of gasoline it ignites. Yeah, I did some real stupid stuff as a kid.

I know for a fact you throw a match in a pool of gasoline it ignites. Yeah, I did some real stupid stuff as a kid.

this is why it is so dangerous however - if you are stupid enough to attempt it you can pour gasoline on a lit match or just lit material and it will put it out. I am not suggesting that you attempt this I've simply witnessed it happen when I was a kid.

I've placed a coffee cup full of gas into an already lit bonfire before. The gas actually statarted boiling in the cup and burned with some nice big flames. People were backing away thinking there might be a huge explosion from the gas, but gas won't explode unless it is under pressure, thats why its rare in a car fire to have the car actually explode like the moves. Gas/Fuel will just burn in a fire, if its compressed your in danger of an explosion.

Edited by apuszczalowski