What stupid people do...

boyst

I've placed a coffee cup full of gas into an already lit bonfire before. The gas actually statarted boiling in the cup and burned with some nice big flames. People were backing away thinking there might be a huge explosion from the gas, but gas won't explode unless it is under pressure, thats why its rare in a car fire to have the car actually explode like the moves. Gas/Fuel will just burn in a fire, if its compressed your in danger of an explosion.

That is why diesel is safer especially in marine applications.

Not always have to be compressed... I think back in the 1980s Sea Ray was having problems with boats blowing up the minute the key was hit. Blow problems with the fumes being expunged out of the bilge and other enclosed compartments? I think USCG regs have stipulated blower specs going way back to the 1940's

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I know....you are spot on.

Mobile phones have zero chance of causing fire/explosion at a fuel station. In the last few years over here they have removed the "No using phone" signs.

Furthermore(and sorry to "jboyst62" for this)....as far as I'm aware, cigarettes and matches are not a problem around gasoline unless there is a major concentrated build up of fumes(like in an enclosed area).

If you throw a match or a cigarette onto a pool of gasoline....they go out.

There's actually a very small chance of phones igniting gasoline at a gas station (as well as cigarettes and matches). While they won't light gasoline, they will light gasoline vapors, of which there tends to be a high concentration at gas stations, and especially around the nozzles on the pumps. It's not common, since you need the right fuel-air mix, and it's unlikely enough that conditions are right that there's any significant risk (at least, I never worry about it), but it does happen.

Also why you don't refill plastic fuel containers without them sitting on the ground. Fill them in a truck bed, for example, and they build up a static charge, and if you then ground the container (say, by touching it with your hand or the pump nozzle), the static discharge can ignite the gasoline vapors and start a pretty nasty fire. That's likely enough to actually worry about.

There's actually a very small chance of phones igniting gasoline at a gas station (as well as cigarettes and matches). While they won't light gasoline, they will light gasoline vapors, of which there tends to be a high concentration at gas stations, and especially around the nozzles on the pumps. It's not common, since you need the right fuel-air mix, and it's unlikely enough that conditions are right that there's any significant risk (at least, I never worry about it), but it does happen.

Also why you don't refill plastic fuel containers without them sitting on the ground. Fill them in a truck bed, for example, and they build up a static charge, and if you then ground the container (say, by touching it with your hand or the pump nozzle), the static discharge can ignite the gasoline vapors and start a pretty nasty fire. That's likely enough to actually worry about.

Won't the vapor fire be invisible too? Between the nozzle and the vehicle... Not common, but there are cases every year. That is why they tell you not to get back into your vehicle while filling (assuming the latch is used).

Yep. More often it's people who start their pump, then climb back in their car, then back out without grounding themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw6-PhvcS3M

Yep. More often it's people who start their pump, then climb back in their car, then back out without grounding themselves.

youtube.com/watch?v=uw6-PhvcS3M

It is cold and they want to stay warm! ;) ;)

Anyway... I noticed that they have the latches in NYS now... Has there been a law or something changed? For a time it seemed you could NOT latch the pump trigger to stay on.

???

Mythbusters did a segment on this. A cigarette will not ignite gasoline.

Yeah... But one is still smoking near VAPORS. The point is not to be smoking at the pump because of the vapors... Who said anything about starting the gas on fire? Anyway, it is still unsafe to smoke at the pump... Sure nothing bad might happen, just like keeping your engine running (tailpipes are usually on the other side of the filler, etc...)... A cig is still a direct ignition source for the vapors. Like I said, even worse with empty tanks everywhere than full ones. The idea is to be vigilant... It has been like that since the dawn of the combustion engine... Good habits that is... Doing the "right thing."

Tonight at the laundrymat, I'm folding my stuff when I hear the attendant ask this guy "did you just put liquid bleach in the dryer?". Turns out he thought the entire wall of dryers were the washers, which are all located in the middle of the building.

How about driving a car.....smoking....and on OXYGEN!!

One of my customers at the bank does this all the time!!!

What got them on O in the first place? Probably the smoking habit! Emphysema? :wallbash: :wallbash:

Just to play devil's advocate... Seems like the thread is revolving around that theme...

Anyway... There is a fuel cut off on the car, epecially if it flips. O won't burn by itself and hopefully the gas cutoff works... and the O doesn't help the fuel source or turns the cig into a blow torch. :P

Oh, and I have a new one, from yesterday, or was it Friday.

I go to some of my land. My grandpa's homeplace, a 180 year old home being taken down. I find some kid had been driving across the property tearing up grass - not a major deal just a d-head move. Not only this but he was still parked there. He worked next door at some metal place and I was like WTF. I go in and I am like, kid get your truck off my property before I call the law for trespassing. The owner comes out eventually and I am irate because the kid kept making excuses on why he needed to park on someone elses land because there was no where else to park.

How do you just decide to park on someone elses property, use their driveway, cut across their field, then be alright about it?

I go to some of my land. My grandpa's homeplace, a 180 year old home being taken down. I find some kid had been driving across the property tearing up grass - not a major deal just a d-head move. Not only this but he was still parked there. He worked next door at some metal place and I was like WTF. I go in and I am like, kid get your truck off my property before I call the law for trespassing. The owner comes out eventually and I am irate because the kid kept making excuses on why he needed to park on someone elses land because there was no where else to park.

How do you just decide to park on someone elses property, use their driveway, cut across their field, then be alright about it?

Call a tow rig and when the kid comes out say that you thought it was abandoned since there was no permission granted for parking, or:

Put it up on blocks and start removing the rims, any assorted car parts and use the same excuse, "its an abandoned car" as far as you are concerned.

He didn't reply with:

"...And the sign said anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight

So I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house, "Hey! What gives you

the

right?"

"To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in"

"If God was here he'd tell you to your face, Man, you're some kinda sinner..."

:nana:

I saw a woman turn down a one-way street this morning. When she got halfway down the road, she realized it wasn't where she wanted to go, so she figured she could just back up out of the street. Of course, at this point more cars had turned down the street and it was completely bottled up all the way to the intersection. Does she just cut her losses and decide to keep driving down the one-way street and then make the two right turns necessary to get back to the main road? Of course not. She sits there in reverse waiting for every single car behind her to get out of her way. Needless to say, I'm slightly delayed in starting my work day.

If only the cop 100 yards or so in front of her directing traffic had been able to leave his spot for a few seconds and give her one hell of a yelling.

I saw a woman turn down a one-way street this morning. When she got halfway down the road, she realized it wasn't where she wanted to go, so she figured she could just back up out of the street. Of course, at this point more cars had turned down the street and it was completely bottled up all the way to the intersection. Does she just cut her losses and decide to keep driving down the one-way street and then make the two right turns necessary to get back to the main road? Of course not. She sits there in reverse waiting for every single car behind her to get out of her way. Needless to say, I'm slightly delayed in starting my work day.

If only the cop 100 yards or so in front of her directing traffic had been able to leave his spot for a few seconds and give her one hell of a yelling.

How many times do you see people backinig up on the expressway! I knew somebody that got killed because of this... Why not cut yout losses and go to the next exit. What is it about the in-your-faceness? Same with u-turns.