PFW Whispers around the league

Estro

It's actually kind of a wishy-washy comment. The person says they don't think he will take them where they want to go, but then states that the price was only going to go up so they understand the deal. So, in other words, this person is not really criticizing the contract, just betting that Fitz will not win the Super Bowl. Real strong stand there.

Pretty much. There are 32 teams/QB's in the league who are unlikely to win the SB.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last bullet of the article regarding Fitzpatrick. I don't disagree with the contract the Bills gave Fitz. I think it's a decent deal for both side. I can't say though that I totally disagree with the thought that Fitz will never get them where they want to go (and I'm assuming he means as a Super Bowl winner). Coming off the last 10 years of futility though, I'm content with a QB that can help us contend for a division title and a playoff appearance. I'm not certain Fitzy has the consistent accuracy to ever put together a 3-4 game run in the playoffs against good defenses to make that championship run. Like I said though, I think he's a fit now, and I have no problem with the contract, in fact I'm happy with it.

There's also no stopping the Bills from drafting a QB if theres one they really like. Witht hey way the rookies get paid now, there's nothing wrong with grooming a QB for a few years. If they are playing well it means Fitzy's doing alright and they won't have a shot at the best QB prospects. If the Bills and Fitz wee to fall flat on their face then the Bills would be in a position to draft a QB high anyhow.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/10/30/insider-49ers-rookie-olb-smith-really-impressing

I couldn't agree more with the author of the article - Trent Dilfer

Check out today's eerily similar quote from ESPN's Matt Williamson:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/26990/pat-yasinskas-qb-watch-8

“He’s a nice player and he’s helped make it an exciting time in Buffalo, but I can’t call him elite," Williamson said. “And I don’t think he’s ever going to become elite. His physical tools are average and his intelligence makes him a slightly above-average starting quarterback. He fits nicely in their system and he has great intangibles. All that is wonderful, but I’m not sure he ultimately is the guy who can get you where you want to go."

You don't suppose PFW's "sources" are actually reporters at other news agencies, do ya???

This logic is flawed. Fitzy has never been the man before where the organization has been behind him 100% as the starting QB and getting the whole season to start. We don't know how far Fitzy will grow and learn as a QB. So all this yaking about he can't take us to the SB is pure crap and speculation. For all we know, he is smart and will grow and become the best QB known to the sport of football. It's all speculation. I for one think Fitzy is not done getting better and will improve over this season and coming seasons.

also getting number one reps throughout camp- has never had the additional work before.

The last bullet of the article regarding Fitzpatrick. I don't disagree with the contract the Bills gave Fitz. I think it's a decent deal for both side. I can't say though that I totally disagree with the thought that Fitz will never get them where they want to go (and I'm assuming he means as a Super Bowl winner). Coming off the last 10 years of futility though, I'm content with a QB that can help us contend for a division title and a playoff appearance. I'm not certain Fitzy has the consistent accuracy to ever put together a 3-4 game run in the playoffs against good defenses to make that championship run. Like I said though, I think he's a fit now, and I have no problem with the contract, in fact I'm happy with it.

There's also no stopping the Bills from drafting a QB if theres one they really like. Witht hey way the rookies get paid now, there's nothing wrong with grooming a QB for a few years. If they are playing well it means Fitzy's doing alright and they won't have a shot at the best QB prospects. If the Bills and Fitz wee to fall flat on their face then the Bills would be in a position to draft a QB high anyhow.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/10/30/insider-49ers-rookie-olb-smith-really-impressing

I had seen this. The real wild card here is that Fitz may quite literally be the smartest qb (in the IQ sense) to ever play the position in the NFL, and this scout has never really considered/evaluated someone him. He's probably used to focusing on reasonably intelligent meatheads like Philip Rivers, and Fitz is simply outside of his range. To be fair, he can evaluate Fitz's throwing, which clearly ain't perfect. Still, the issue is that these guys are ill-equipped to evaluate a guy who is basically twice as smart as them (literally).

Edited by dave mcbride

Thats BS... Bottom line is Fitz is playing lights out football this year. I mean he beat the Patriots, a tough Raiders team, tore up the Chiefs and the Skins... If we can get in (The post season) why couldn't we go the distance? I'm pretty sure the Pats are a Superbowl caliber team. I would say our Superbowl chances rely more on the consistency of the defense as they have performed great and horrific at times. Fitz has been, outside of Freddy, our most consistent player this year. Gotta give credit where it's due and Fitz is our second most valuable player. Go Bills!

I'm pretty sure that despite a couple losses last year he also shredded two of the NFL's most feared defenses in the Steelers & Ravens... Those losses werent on him.

A QB that can lead a team to 30 points per game against quality opponents can lead a team to a Super Bowl. Suggesting otherwise is lunacy.

Really. Some people are so thick that if Fitz walked on Lake Erie they would still question his skill.

PTR

I think the people that write these type of articles are missing the big picture.....

This team isnt going to win a Super Bowl this year (there I friggen said it)

This does not mean that I am not insanely a Fitz supporter and have been for some time...its not to say that this offense isn't good enough because it is.....the parts are all in place on offense to make it to the show.

no

This team will go as far as its DEFENSE takes it.....when we have a defense that can consistantly force other defenses to PUNT and not rely on a turnover to stop an opposing team THEN we we will have all the parts in place to win a super bowl.

Fitz is not the problem here.....the offense is right where we want it to be. Whats interesting is this is a very YOUNG offense which can actually get BETTER.

Check out today's eerily similar quote from ESPN's Matt Williamson:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/26990/pat-yasinskas-qb-watch-8

“He’s a nice player and he’s helped make it an exciting time in Buffalo, but I can’t call him elite," Williamson said. “And I don’t think he’s ever going to become elite. His physical tools are average and his intelligence makes him a slightly above-average starting quarterback. He fits nicely in their system and he has great intangibles. All that is wonderful, but I’m not sure he ultimately is the guy who can get you where you want to go."

You don't suppose PFW's "sources" are actually reporters at other news agencies, do ya???

They will be saying this until Fitzy goes deep in the playoffs.

It's always the same BS. First, the Bills can't win with Fitz... now they are winning. If the make the playoffs it will be "He can lead them to the playoffs but not a championship". The only way that he will shut people up is to do it. Fitzpatrick is better than several QBs that have won Super Bowls, so yes he can do it.

PS- Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard?

No, it's Haaaaarved!