Maybin- 3 page NY Daily News Article

dloroch

Wow! What a good story. Considering the Jets are playing the Bills this week and he was cut I really expected a much rougher piece with how the Jets found a diamond in the rough and Buffalo was dumb to cut him. Really nice story about Aaron. This kind of story males me wish he was still on the Bills playing as well as he has. (not that I think it's great but if he did anything he'd still be here) IRS just the kind of story that Biffalonians want to embrace. I will change my tune in Maybin. I wish him luck.

Excuse the grammar, typing on iPhone. Apparently it's is basically the same thing as IRS. And make is just as good as male. What's a BIFFalonian anyway? Damn spellchecker.

Edited by mrags

Wow! What a good story. Considering the Jets are playing the Bills this week and he was cut I really expected a much rougher piece with how the Jets found a diamond in the rough and Buffalo was dumb to cut him. Really nice story about Aaron. This kind of story males me wish he was still on the Bills playing as well as he has. (not that I think it's great but if he did anything he'd still be here) IRS just the kind of story that Biffalonians want to embrace. I will change my tune in Maybin. I wish him luck.

the only good thing about Maybin is his agent. He stole money for a client that has no NFL ability.

All I have ever heard from Maybin are excuses... :thumbdown:

Excuse the grammar, typing on iPhone. Apparently it's is basically the same thing as IRS. And make is just as good as male. What's a BIFFalonian anyway? Damn spellchecker.

It is a great story, but I have to admit Maybin really disappointed. From his extra-long holdout on his first contract (which the article does not mention) to his weight/size issues, he is responsible for hindering his own development. If he pulls his career together, and if he and his family can overcome these bad breaks, good for him. But his failure in Buffalo is no one's fault but his own.

If there was one thing I noted about Maybin when he was drafted, it was that he really would have benefited from being taken by a team like the Ravens, where he would find a specialized role and a lot of superior players to kick his ass. It sounds like he's found that in New York with a Ravens acolyte. Such as it is, good for him. I think the Bills were probably one of the worst places to learn and grow into a role in the Jauron era, and obviously he needed many things simplified, in order to excel.

Jury is still out, but the only person(s) who deserve scorn here are the people who whiffed on the pick, taking a kid this young and unproven and putting him in a position of very high, perhaps unreachable expectations, with Skeletor and his minions "teaching" him the game.

I am not going to be one of those who claims the Bills were wrong about Maybin (when they cut him), but I have to say, I was pretty shocked by what a short leash fans (at least those here on TSW) had with him. I always felt like he never really had any sort of chance with the Bills. People here were proclaiming him a bust, almost from day one...but the guy barely played. I trust Chan Gailey a bit more than I do the Jauron crew, to evaluate players, so when they gave up on him too, I just figured, well "maybe they are right". It is just strange to me, though, with all the bad line-ups the Bills put on the field in 2008, 2009 and 2010, they could never find an opportunity to play Maybin just a little bit? He seems to have found a niche with the Jets. That doesn't mean to say that he is the second coming, but he is playing productive football somewhere. I sometimes get the feeling that the same scenario is going to play out with CJ Spiller...at least as far as the fans go.

If there was one thing I noted about Maybin when he was drafted, it was that he really would have benefited from being taken by a team like the Ravens, where he would find a specialized role and a lot of superior players to kick his ass. It sounds like he's found that in New York with a Ravens acolyte. Such as it is, good for him. I think the Bills were probably one of the worst places to learn and grow into a role in the Jauron era, and obviously he needed many things simplified, in order to excel.

Jury is still out, but the only person(s) who deserve scorn here are the people who whiffed on the pick, taking a kid this young and unproven and putting him in a position of very high, perhaps unreachable expectations, with Skeletor and his minions "teaching" him the game.

I wish him well, but we should say there are plenty from that era that are our stars today... Fitz, Jackson, Johnson, G. Wilson, D. Bell all of these guys were "not first round picks" and from the Jauron regime, yet managed to show enough that it made sense to keep developing them on the team until they're growing into where they are today.

What aggravated me most about Maybin is why he couldn't at least show that he was a stud on Special Teams. Every description of him indicates that he could fit the profile of a big time special teams star. Obviously not what you draft a guy #11 overall for, but at least its a contribution he could have built from??

If he makes it in NY, it will be very puzzling why Gailey couldn't make him work here when every undrafted free agent he touches is turning to gold before our eyes.

Edited by cage

Good story, I hope he keeps things on a positive trajectory (but not against us). :)

If he makes it in NY, it will be very puzzling why Gailey couldn't make him work here when every undrafted free agent he touches is turning to gold before our eyes.

Stuff like that happens all the time. Why do our guys make it here but not elsewhere?

There are certain players that shine with certain coaches/systems, and are horrible with other coaches/systems.

I give him credit for not talking to much **** about us

What sh*t is he going to say about the Bills? The guy flat out did not produce. 2 coaching staffs saw it. It is great that he is doing some things with the Jets but it still does not change the fact this guy is going to go down as one of the biggest busts in Bills history. He was horrible, we all saw it.

I am not going to be one of those who claims the Bills were wrong about Maybin (when they cut him), but I have to say, I was pretty shocked by what a short leash fans (at least those here on TSW) had with him. I always felt like he never really had any sort of chance with the Bills. People here were proclaiming him a bust, almost from day one...but the guy barely played. I trust Chan Gailey a bit more than I do the Jauron crew, to evaluate players, so when they gave up on him too, I just figured, well "maybe they are right". It is just strange to me, though, with all the bad line-ups the Bills put on the field in 2008, 2009 and 2010, they could never find an opportunity to play Maybin just a little bit? He seems to have found a niche with the Jets. That doesn't mean to say that he is the second coming, but he is playing productive football somewhere. I sometimes get the feeling that the same scenario is going to play out with CJ Spiller...at least as far as the fans go.

Internet forum poster have basically been trashing Buffalo first round picks since I can remember. Seriously! Other than Dareus what other Bills first round pick hasn't been maligned or even worse run out of town with the villagers chasing with lit torches and pitch forks?

*PS I don't count Eric Wood because fans would love him if he were absolutely terrible and can't be objective. They associate his draft with the Jason Peters trade.

Now i know why Lavar Arrington inexplicably has picked against the Bills every week in his Sunday Washington Post prediction column. HE always says he doesn't believe in the Bills and it's probably a holdover grudge from his buddy Maybin.

Internet forum poster have basically been trashing Buffalo first round picks since I can remember. Seriously! Other than Dareus what other Bills first round pick hasn't been maligned or even worse run out of town with the villagers chasing with lit torches and pitch forks?

*PS I don't count Eric Wood because fans would love him if he were absolutely terrible and can't be objective. They associate his draft with the Jason Peters trade.

Give credit where it's due. Other than Dareus and Wood, exactly which first round picks this century should Bills fans have been more thrilled about? The FO has done an unfathomably bad job with first round picks. It's either been a complete bust or a marginal player taken in a spot where top flight talent was available.

Many great points have been made here in support of Maybin and the chances he never had in B-lo, whether his fault or merely a victim.

However, it is amazing how they do not mention that the Jets cut the guy and signed him back a month later when no other options came up. The guy is lucky to be in the NFL - just like Flutie was lucky to get back, just like Warner was lucky to get in. It just happens a little bit that way some time the Post should not make anymore of this story other then a guy overcoming adversity to play on an NFL team. He is and will likely never be a superstar or career starter and that is just the way it is - and I like the guy.

Maybin is only 23 going into this season. He had a slew of personal and physical problems that kept him from coming into camp with the added weight the coaching staff requested. On top of that he had his personal issues as well.

And even if you take out his personal issues from a pure football perspective Maybin was kind of not given the proper development. He was drafted by DJ to play in the Tampa 2 as a 4-3 DE. After playing a very crappy rookie year he was then asked to play a new position he never played in a completely different scheme. Then going into his third year he was cut because a physical illness hurt his standing with the coaching staff.

Now I am not saying that the Bills should have kept Maybin. He needed a change of scenery. The Bills were in a tough spot. Chan and Nix inherited Maybin a project from the last administration. He also showed them nothing in his first year with Gailey. Then going into this season he couldn't really get into the shape Gailey wanted.

Gailey was forced into a terrible situation with Maybin going into this season. He could have kept a out of shape project that showed nothing in two NFL season. Or Gailey could have given young hungrier players (Moats and Batten) that showed more. I think Gailey made the right move. It was just time for both parties to move on.