The wall's reaction to Fitz signing in 2009

sullim4

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but given how things have gone, it's fun to look back on this. Quite a few gems in there:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/83674-fitzpatrick-signed/page__p__1330758__hl__fitzpatrick__fromsearch__1#entry1330758

That's a great thread. Thanks for finding that (I'm glad I didn't post in it!). "Cale" had Fitz pegged all along!

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I wasn't a fan of then signing due to the fact that our starting qb was so injury prone. I was hoping to sign someone I THOUGHT would compete the starting position. I didn't think fitz would do that. Boy was I wrong. The Hiring of chan definitely helped his cause. Glad he's our qb for the next few seasons. I just wish he'd stop throwing off his back foot so much :)

Classic billsfreak, LOL.

When he's level-headed he can have some good takes but man, sometimes he gets so bent up.

Yah, Derek in VA had a doosey in there too.

Did GoBills really know Fitz was the QB of the future. ;-)

Looking back, I remember thinking a mighty "Well... ok... that's nice... MEH". He didn't do much up until this year, to be honest, so I'm not sure what that thread really shows. We reacted to a player that didn't do well his first few years.

Might want to pin that thread whenever the Bills sign or draft a player. (Someone should find the Fred Jackson signing).

Anyway, this was my favorite part -- Safe to say that none of these QBs have had success since RF signed with the Bills.

Here's the rankings he cited:

(Scouts.Com)

Free Agent QB Rankings

Pos Pos

Rank Rating Name Type Yr Ht/Wt College 2008 Team Signed Team

QB 1 Kurt Warner UFA 11 6-2/222 Northern Iowa Arizona

QB 2 Matt Cassel Fran. 4 6-5/225 USC New England New England

QB 3 Kerry Collins UFA 14 6-5/245 Penn State Tennessee Tennessee

QB 4 Jeff Garcia UFA 10 6-1/205 San Jose State Tampa Bay

QB 5 J.T. O'Sullivan UFA 6 6-2/227 UC Davis San Francisco

QB 6 Damon Huard UFA 12 6-3/212 Washington Kansas City

QB 7 Chris Simms UFA 6 6-4/220 Texas Tennessee

QB 8 J.P. Losman UFA 5 6-2/212 Tulane Buffalo

QB 9 Byron Leftwich UFA 6 6-5/250 Marshall Pittsburgh

QB 10 Joey Harrington UFA 7 6-4/220 Oregon Atlanta

QB 11 Kyle Boller UFA 6 6-3/220 California Baltimore

QB 12 Rex Grossman UFA 6 6-1/217 Florida Chicago

QB 13 Dan Orlovsky UFA 4 6-4/238 Connecticut Detroit

QB 14 Trent Green UFA 15 -/- Indiana St. Louis

QB 15 Brad Johnson UFA 17 6-5/238 Florida State Dallas

QB 16 Patrick Ramsey UFA 8 6-3/225 Tulane Denver

QB 17 Charlie Frye UFA 4 6-4/218 Akron Seattle

QB 18 Charlie Batch UFA 11 6-2/216 Eastern Michigan Pittsburgh

QB 19 Brooks Bollinger UFA 8 6-1/203 Wisconsin Dallas

QB 20 Ryan Fitzpatrick UFA 4 6-2/225 Harvard Cincinnati

QB 21 Jamie Martin UFA 14 6-2/205 Weber State San Francisco

I had a heated argument with my friend who is a packers fan about 2 years ago and I adamantly backed Fitz and said if he ever got a solid opportunity with us he could develop into a special qb and player. He basically laughed and shut me down. I also said when Fred was in NFL Europe that he was gonna be a Superstar for us. So basically....I'm Nostradamus ;)

Anyway, this was my favorite part -- Safe to say that none of these QBs have had success since RF signed with the Bills.

Here's the rankings he cited:

(Scouts.Com)

Free Agent QB Rankings

Pos Pos

Rank Rating Name Type Yr Ht/Wt College 2008 Team Signed Team

QB 1 Kurt Warner UFA 11 6-2/222 Northern Iowa Arizona

QB 2 Matt Cassel Fran. 4 6-5/225 USC New England New England

QB 3 Kerry Collins UFA 14 6-5/245 Penn State Tennessee Tennessee

QB 4 Jeff Garcia UFA 10 6-1/205 San Jose State Tampa Bay

QB 5 J.T. O'Sullivan UFA 6 6-2/227 UC Davis San Francisco

QB 6 Damon Huard UFA 12 6-3/212 Washington Kansas City

QB 7 Chris Simms UFA 6 6-4/220 Texas Tennessee

QB 8 J.P. Losman UFA 5 6-2/212 Tulane Buffalo

QB 9 Byron Leftwich UFA 6 6-5/250 Marshall Pittsburgh

QB 10 Joey Harrington UFA 7 6-4/220 Oregon Atlanta

QB 11 Kyle Boller UFA 6 6-3/220 California Baltimore

QB 12 Rex Grossman UFA 6 6-1/217 Florida Chicago

QB 13 Dan Orlovsky UFA 4 6-4/238 Connecticut Detroit

QB 14 Trent Green UFA 15 -/- Indiana St. Louis

QB 15 Brad Johnson UFA 17 6-5/238 Florida State Dallas

QB 16 Patrick Ramsey UFA 8 6-3/225 Tulane Denver

QB 17 Charlie Frye UFA 4 6-4/218 Akron Seattle

QB 18 Charlie Batch UFA 11 6-2/216 Eastern Michigan Pittsburgh

QB 19 Brooks Bollinger UFA 8 6-1/203 Wisconsin Dallas

QB 20 Ryan Fitzpatrick UFA 4 6-2/225 Harvard Cincinnati

QB 21 Jamie Martin UFA 14 6-2/205 Weber State San Francisco

To be fair, Warner led his team to an NFC title in 2008. Cassel had a playoff season last year and Collins had a 13-3 season with the Titans in 2008. Leftwich picked up 2 Super Bowl rings as a backup.

Edited by /dev/null

Classic billsfreak, LOL.

When he's level-headed he can have some good takes but man, sometimes he gets so bent up.

Are you stalking me, or just fascinated by my knowledge? I remember you saying "Fitz will be the quarterback of the future and sign a $59 million dollar contract." NOT! Sometimes maybe I get carried away but I am not getting any younger and don't want to spend my last 75 years on this earth with an addiction to a bad team.

Edited by billsfreak

Are you stalking me, or just fascinated by my knowledge? I remember you saying "Fitz will be the quarterback of the future and sign a $59 million dollar contract." NOT!

Ignoring the wide chasm of opinion between two extremes, aren't we? How about simply admitting you missed on that call? We've all done it. I think the post is all in good fun.

Ralph's still cheap.

Are you stalking me, or just fascinated by my knowledge? I remember you saying "Fitz will be the quarterback of the future and sign a $59 million dollar contract." NOT! Sometimes maybe I get carried away but I am not getting any younger and don't want to spend my last 75 years on this earth with an addiction to a bad team.

Bent up?

I'll admit at the time of his signing, I didn't think too much of it. Just figured/hoped he'd be a decent backup to help groom our eventual top draft pick. I certainly didn't envision him becoming a franchise QB. And, IMO, he's still got plenty of upside. The longer he plays in this offense and works on his mechanics, the better he'll get.

I'll also throw out there... I was completely underwhelmed with the Chan hiring. Didn't like it at all and was certain that by about now we'd be looking forward to the next big head coach prospect. I was completely wrong.

I did, however, see Freddie running in NFL Europe and liked him from day one. So 1 out of 3 ain't bad.... right?