Why the strong defense this week?

Paulfw

I was just wondering what your take was on today's defense. Is Washington's Offensive line that weak for the Bills to dominate like they did or was Shawne Merriman holding us back? Is the linebacker by committee approach they took today that good? A little of both? Was it because they had an extra week to prepare?

I think we played with a chip on our shoulder, and really played hard. Temper our excitement though the Redskins and Beck were pretty bad.

Let me edit this saying we actually had some good blitzes called, about time.

Edited by muffmonster

I think this week was a "normal" paced game against a weak opponent. Most of the other games were oddly paced, with the Bills playing a kind of "prevent defense" for long stretches. The defense is decent, it's definitely not in the bottom third of the league. I don't care what the stats say.

Yeah I agree, we're not as bad as the stats say. I know in the past they kept Trent in as QB for too many games and then CJ and Marshawn as starting running backs for too long I was just thinking that they waited to pull the trigger on Shawne and now that they had to sit him they realize that he was holding us back. There were a lot of factors involved and it will take a few weeks to see how this all plays out.

we had a lot of exotic blitzes for once. I noticed a lot of players walking up and down around the line of scrimmage like the packers and steelers always do and it really seemed to confuse the offensive line. I really hope to see some more of that against the jets next week and confuse sanchez.

I agree. I like Byrd's blitz. And Dareus played great at nose. He always seemed stocky for someone playing DE.

One player that really impressed me today was Arthur Moats.

Did you all see how much pressure he was getting today? Dareus, Johnson & Edwards were racking up the sacks, but Moats really did a great job in collapsing the pocket today.

Thank God they gave up on Moats as an ILB.

One player that really impressed me today was Arthur Moats.

Did you all see how much pressure he was getting today? Dareus, Johnson & Edwards were racking up the sacks, but Moats really did a great job in collapsing the pocket today.

Thank God they gave up on Moats as an ILB.

Yep, he should get credit for causing a few of the sacks that others got. I also thought Carrington played well too. I think he played a lot inside today too, if I'm not mistaken.

Bye week, pent up frustration leading to inspired play, and a below-average QB.

Yep. All of the above. Bad opponnent, bye week, some good defensive calls.

we had a lot of exotic blitzes for once. I noticed a lot of players walking up and down around the line of scrimmage like the packers and steelers always do and it really seemed to confuse the offensive line. I really hope to see some more of that against the jets next week and confuse sanchez.

We have to. Sanchez can be confused, and if we can, we'll get some nice interceptions.

I think the Bills' defense benefitted greatly from a Washington offensive line that featured replacement players at left tackle, left guard and center, and also was missing ide receiver Santana Moss, tight end Chris Cooley and running back Tim Hightower.

I'm happy the Bills won, but considering how banged up the Washinton NFL franchise with the racist nickname is, I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't win by a wider margin. That said, it's pretty sweet to see the Bills hand Shanahan his first shutout loss as an NFL coach.