Most reliable cars

John Adams

Bums me out. I wish the US cars would do better and stay better but still way down the list.

http://www.marketwat...iteid=rss&rss=1

Ford dropped from 10th last year to 20th out of the 28 major car makers in the Consumer Reports 2011 Annual Auto Survey. That's the biggest retreat of any major U.S. nameplate.

....It's not all bad news for Detroit as Jeep ascended seven spots to 13th, garnering the best showing of all the U.S. car makers. Chrysler and Dodge moved up 12 and three spots in the survey, respectively, too.

I drive two foreign cars now. Been through Honda, Toyotas and they are just amazing cars. Last US car I drove was a Caprice Classic. Wonderful car to work on myself since every junkyard had parts and I could fix it every time it broke, which was often. Not a great testament to reliability though.

Edited by John Adams

I drive two foreign cars now. Been through Honda, Toyotas and they are just amazing cars.

I've been driving Hondas and Toyotas since college -- great cars, great reliability and reasonable cost to maintain. I also drove an Audi for several years; that was a good car too and fun to drive but too expensive to maintain once it got past about the 6 year point.

I've been driving Hondas and Toyotas since college -- great cars, great reliability and reasonable cost to maintain. I also drove an Audi for several years; that was a good car too and fun to drive but too expensive to maintain once it got past about the 6 year point.

That's why I always like to lease my cars. I get a new one before I have any issues. The lease I got this year is only 27 months.

My Chevy pickup is 12 years with zero problems other than scheduled maintenance. I've never had a serious problem with any American vehicle I've owned. Jeep, Saturn, or GM.

You actually get the scheduled maintenance done. I'll bet a 126.6 lb Chinook salmon most people don't.

You actually get the scheduled maintenance done. I'll bet a 126.6 lb Chinook salmon most people don't.

Those pesky oil changes coolant flushed and timing belt replacements can't be ignored

But I've had very good luck with Nissan. No problems. I now have a Nissan xterra and its my favorite vehicle I've had

When one of those rice burners or foo-foo car makers can make me something realiable in a truck...wait...never mind. It'll never happen.

That's a pretty ignorant mentality

When one of those rice burners or foo-foo car makers can make me something realiable in a truck...wait...never mind. It'll never happen.

The trucks have pretty good reps actually. But clearly, American truck drivers like American trucks.

Still, since 98% of the population doesn't need a truck, it's like I said: A shame American cars just can't get better on reliability.

I am thinking about a Ford Edge, Honda pilot,

and the Honda Ridgeline. Need to get something next year.

I can vouch for the Edge. Not a lot of miles 32k but no problems. Great all around car if you want something with nice room but not a huge hulking vehicle. Comes with a nice package of options. Remote hatch, heated seats, Sync etc.

The trucks have pretty good reps actually. But clearly, American truck drivers like American trucks.

Still, since 98% of the population doesn't need a truck, it's like I said: A shame American cars just can't get better on reliability.

Despite having family members who work for Ford, I will continue to buy Honda/Toyota products until they give me a reason not to.

I did and still have a 1999 Ford F-250 V-10 that made it to 180K+ miles, but I had to sink quite a bit of money into it to get it that far. Great hauler, but couldn't count on it to run right. repalced it a number of years ago with a 2007 Tundra. Fantastic Truck! Hauls great...if they ever get into the Super Duty market, sign me up.

My late car was a 2000 Accord V6. I got 270K+ out of that car until some crazy ***** hit it a couple years ago. Of course it wasn't worth much of anything so they immediately totaled it. Thing still ran like a top. Replaced it with a TL. Have about 70K on it already without a hitch.

I can vouch for the Edge. Not a lot of miles 32k but no problems. Great all around car if you want something with nice room but not a huge hulking vehicle. Comes with a nice package of options. Remote hatch, heated seats, Sync etc.

I like the looks of the Edge. How is the mpg? How big of gas tank?

I do too. I got my wife to test drive both it and a Highlander. She prefers the Highlander, mostly due to Toyota's reliability, quiet ride, and the sharper interior.

I think the Edge has a better looking exterior though--not a fan of the Highlander's look at all.

Edited by John Adams

When right on empty I think I squeeze over 16gals in it. I can't tell you my mpg though. It's not hard on fuel. I fill up once a week with a 30 mile round trip to work 4 days a week.

Edited by Dante

That's a pretty ignorant mentality

How so? Toyota has been trying to get a full ton truck on the road for a long time and get a diesel. Ignorant how?

I need something that can take abuse over the land then turn around and pull 20,000 lbs. Give me one foreign truck that can do that.

Sadly, way too many people have trucks. I cannot stand going to Charlotte and just seeing 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks in driveways. If Chevy, Ford or Dodge put the same effort in their cars as they do their trucks it'd be a big difference.

1319665484[/url]' post='2292628']

How so? Toyota has been trying to get a full ton truck on the road for a long time and get a diesel. Ignorant how?

I need something that can take abuse over the land then turn around and pull 20,000 lbs. Give me one foreign truck that can do that.

Sadly, way too many people have trucks. I cannot stand going to Charlotte and just seeing 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks in driveways. If Chevy, Ford or Dodge put the same effort in their cars as they do their trucks it'd be a big difference.

I never understood the demise of the station wagon. I don't need a truck, but I do need room to haul the family around and a third row of seats is helpful sometimes. My option on this is a minivan or a truck. I hate minivans and trucks have capacity I don't need. Went with truck.

I never understood the demise of the station wagon. I don't need a truck, but I do need room to haul the family around and a third row of seats is helpful sometimes. My option on this is a minivan or a truck. I hate minivans and trucks have capacity I don't need. Went with truck.

You know they have this really cool vehicle out now. Maybe you've seen one. They're called an SUV. Not sure what that stands for but that may just be what you're looking for. Google it.

I didn't know you were speaking of a super duty type truck.

I am thinking about a Ford Edge, Honda pilot,

and the Honda Ridgeline. Need to get something next year.

My son has a Ridgeline, amazing truck, drives like a car. My wife has owned Hondas for years. Me, I'm a Jeep guy. Once I decided to "Buy American" and bought a chevy Monza. While working under the car I noticed a tag: "Product du Canada" so much for "Buy American". Owned a Ford Bronco once, worst POS I ever owned.

You know they have this really cool vehicle out now. Maybe you've seen one. They're called an SUV. Not sure what that stands for but that may just be what you're looking for. Google it.

Ya know, I did google it. Turns out that SUVs are different from stationwagons. But I guess you knew that.

As much as I want to buy american, I can't see it happening unless I was buying a full size truck. We are shopping next year for a new ride, and we are almost exclusively looking at Toyota. 4Runner or Highlander is probably where we're at. I want an FJCruiser, but it would never work with 2 kids....... I am trying to convince the Mrs. that the 4Runner is way better than the Highlander.

My Chevy pickup is 12 years with zero problems other than scheduled maintenance. I've never had a serious problem with any American vehicle I've owned. Jeep, Saturn, or GM.

Similar deal here. A '99 Found On Road Dead pickup that just will not stop running. I beat that thing like a red-headed stepchild and it's never, ever complained once.

I haven't done any research recently but I know there were some good American vehicles rolling off the lines about 5-10 years ago. If y'all want to walk the walk instead of talking the talk,maybe you should go with one of those instead of buying a shiny new foreign vehicle and flushing money down the head in the process.

As much as I want to buy american, I can't see it happening unless I was buying a full size truck. We are shopping next year for a new ride, and we are almost exclusively looking at Toyota. 4Runner or Highlander is probably where we're at. I want an FJCruiser, but it would never work with 2 kids....... I am trying to convince the Mrs. that the 4Runner is way better than the Highlander.

4runner is capable truck. Highlander is a big allwheel drive car.

Similar deal here. A '99 Found On Road Dead pickup that just will not stop running. I beat that thing like a red-headed stepchild and it's never, ever complained once.

I haven't done any research recently but I know there were some good American vehicles rolling off the lines about 5-10 years ago. If y'all want to walk the walk instead of talking the talk,maybe you should go with one of those instead of buying a shiny new foreign vehicle and flushing money down the head in the process.

Why would buying one of the top ten most reliable brands of cars be flushing money down the drain? Wouldn't buying Ford or Chevy be flushing money, seeing how they are less reliable?

American working trucks are solid. Cars, bad reps.

Why would buying one of the top ten most reliable brands of cars be flushing money down the drain? Wouldn't buying Ford or Chevy be flushing money, seeing how they are less reliable?

American working trucks are solid. Cars, bad reps.

I was referring to buying a "new" car, regardless of the model. You might as well be throwing dead presidents out the window when you drive it off the lot.

I like to do research on reliability and buy a ~5 year old American vehicle about every 5-10 years. It's good value for me and doesn't enrich foreign competitors at the expense of American companies.

I was referring to buying a "new" car, regardless of the model. You might as well be throwing dead presidents out the window when you drive it off the lot.

I like to do research on reliability and buy a ~5 year old American vehicle about every 5-10 years. It's good value for me and doesn't enrich foreign competitors at the expense of American companies.

You do realize that many so called foreign brands are produced within the usa with American workers while many of the so called domestic brands build some in Canada or Mexico with foreign workers

subaru never abandoned the station wagon and they continue to make very nice and relatively popular ones. 200000 miles out of them is pretty common but i'd stay away from their turbos- literally a blast to drive but easy to blow and expensive to replace.

interesting that there are no german cars in the top 10. unreliability in most of their brands means very high ownership costs.

You do realize that many so called foreign brands are produced within the usa with American workers while many of the so called domestic brands build some in Canada or Mexico with foreign workers

Yep. You can find out which is which in about 30 seconds.

I hope the folks here who insist on buying foreign can spare that much time to find a model that was at least built by American workers.

The Saturn SL series used to be highly reliable. Once GM took over direct operations, it all went downhill.

I was a devotee of the SL2, especially, we owned 4 of them.

Ya know, I did google it. Turns out that SUVs are different from stationwagons. But I guess you knew that.

My point was your options are not a mini van or a truck. An SUV is exactly what you described.

That would be like me lamenting over the demise of the 8-track player because I'd like something that plays music.

Maybe it's just me, but almost everyone that I've personally known who's owned a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle in the past 15 years has had some sort of transmission issue.

Not a statistically valid sample size, but enough to give me major concerns.

2002 Town & Country. At 40,000 miles I had it in 4x already for tranny issues before they replaced it with a new Trans and torque converter. Now 70,000 miles it is OK

Just turned in an 08 G6. Only a power lock problem, 3x, all something different. Bought a Ford Fusion last week

Lastly, 2004 HD Electra Glide, never a single repair. Cost me a FORTUNE in accessories though :P

Edited by MarkyMannn

I drive an '02 Nissan Pathfinder. 125,000+ and virtually trouble free, and no rust! Bought it new in Seattle, drove it to Virginia when we moved. It's been to BUF a few times and also to Florida a couple of times. 18MPG but the new models are not much better. Used to drive GM but got tired of being on a first name basis with Mr. Goodwrench. :angry:

Watch the news...look at what the Terrorists drive. They need economy and reliability :devil: . They're all Toyota's, Nissan, Mazda etc.. They laugh when they get the postcards in the mail telling them it's time for a 36,000 mile check. :ph34r:

Speaking of watching the news, look at what our President drives. It's not Electric and instead of 55 MPG it's more like 55 feet per gallon. I loved it when it bottomed out on a security device while leaving the Embassy in Ireland. The Secret Service have a bunch of "war wagons" that are none too fuel efficient either.

Watch the news...look at what the Terrorists drive. They need economy and reliability :devil: . They're all Toyota's, Nissan, Mazda etc.. They laugh when they get the postcards in the mail telling them it's time for a 36,000 mile check. :ph34r:

I called the suicide hotline in Kabul and they asked me if I could drive a truck.