George Edwards' Job Security (Chris Brown)

Sniper

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy Nixon asked Mr. Brown a question about Edwards. Here's what he said:

Chris Brown Responds

Looks like the type of reply that one would expect from a pretty objective guy… but one who works for the Buffalo Bills.

Chris is in a tough spot answering questions like this but thanks for asking.

Chris seemed to dwell on the DBs when in fact they were towards the end of your short list of problems… and you'd already prefaced your DB comments with the (non) pass rush issue.

I hope Nix and Gailey hold Edwards accountable because there should not be a double standard within any organization. The defense either sucks or has underachieved. Someone has to be accountable.

The interesting dynamic is that if Nix forgives Edwards' defense, it becomes a tacit acknowledgement that Nix himself has not done well enough to upgrade the talent level on defense. If they feel like Edwards is doing a good job, then firing him would simply be scapegoating him.

Put another way, if Gailey/Nix think that Edwards is doing a good job, then it means that the talent level is poor which, like you pointed out, is lamentable in that the Bills have invested heavily in defense over the past two years.

I hope Nix and Gailey hold Edwards accountable because there should not be a double standard within any organization. The defense either sucks or has underachieved. Someone has to be accountable.

Tough to know where the blame lies. Given that Wanstandt is in the mix now, I'm less inclined to blame Edwards (or at least Edwards alone).

A better pass rush and more consistent play from the corners--and this defense looks a lot better.

Looks like the type of reply that one would expect from a pretty objective guy… but one who works for the Buffalo Bills.

Chris is in a tough spot answering questions like this but thanks for asking.

Chris seemed to dwell on the DBs when in fact they were towards the end of your short list of problems… and you'd already prefaced your DB comments with the (non) pass rush issue.

The interesting dynamic is that if Nix forgives Edwards' defense, it becomes a tacit acknowledgement that Nix himself has not done well enough to upgrade the talent level on defense. If they feel like Edwards is doing a good job, then firing him would simply be scapegoating him.

Put another way, if Gailey/Nix think that Edwards is doing a good job, then it means that the talent level is poor which, like you pointed out, is lamentable in that the Bills have invested heavily in defense over the past two years.

If Edwards isn't to blame, then Nix should be on the Hotseat for not doing more in Free Agency to bring in players. We could have had Julius Peppers and Carlos Dansby last year, but no, we don't wanna pay people to play for us so, I guess we deal with a crappy defense. IDK... It's ridiculous how bad it's been. It's been pure luck with the Turnovers. But the lack of Sacks and QB pressure is inexcusable!!!

Edited by mattsox

The DB's have been fine, not great, but definitely tolerable. The problem has beenlack of a pass rush. Compare Philly and NY games, against Philly they were getting in Vick's face and we were getting the turnovers, Manning had all day and our DB's were getting burned constantly.

The DB's have been fine, not great, but definitely tolerable. The problem has beenlack of a pass rush. Compare Philly and NY games, against Philly they were getting in Vick's face and we were getting the turnovers, Manning had all day and our DB's were getting burned constantly.

Notable personnel losses from Week 5-6 = Merriman and Williams.

I think it is a little bit of both, but I think it leans more toward the players. We have been bad against the rush for years now and We didn't really have much of a player turnover from last year. We got barnett and dareus as the only 2 that have started each game. They are gonna have to upgrade some more players for this defense to be serviceable.

The ones on the outside being the biggest a liability. Whether it is the 4-3 DEs or the 3-4 OLBs, those positions need to be addressed bad. Kind of makes you wonder how this team would have looked if they went another way with that maybin pick. Those players on the outside have been bad for awhile, and it isn't like they ingored it either. they just have done a good job at filling it. And by "they" I mean the franchise in general, not specifically gailey/nix.

I think it would be best for us all for the stache to take over completly.

I point to option 3--- most defenses are struggling some, and we are only slightly behind that curve. Patience and a last offseason- particularly a full offseason should help. I haven't seen many exotic blitz schemes out there league wide.

Talent wise- we are one 34 OLB away, and still don't know about merriman due to the shoulder.

Edited by NoSaint

Exactly what I was going to say.

If Edwards isn't to blame, then Nix should be on the Hotseat for not doing more in Free Agency to bring in players. We could have had Julius Peppers and Carlos Dansby last year, but no, we don't wanna pay people to play for us so, I guess we deal with a crappy defense. IDK... It's ridiculous how bad it's been. It's been pure luck with the Turnovers. But the lack of Sacks and QB pressure is inexcusable!!!

Your saying that ALL 16 turnovers through 6 games are "pure luck". Your insane. Sure, teams get lucky here and there, but the Bills have shown a knack for creating turnovers in 5 of 6 games this year. If we had half a decent pass rush, one could expect to see another 4-7 tacked onto that total.

Tough to know where the blame lies. Given that Wanstandt is in the mix now, I'm less inclined to blame Edwards (or at least Edwards alone).

A better pass rush and more consistent play from the corners--and this defense looks a lot better.

The fact that Wannstedt is in the mix now and yet the defense is still getting torched is even more baffling. Exactly what is Wannstedt doing? He's not having much effect up to this point.

We could have had Julius Peppers

Peppers would have come to Buffalo the minute pigs flew over a newly frozen hell... B-)

I do find it interesting that Gailey has molded a fairly efficient Offense with a ragtag bunch while Edwards has struggled to get the job done with arguably more talent overall...If it was defintely Coaching with Jauron, and I think we all know it was, then what is to be said for Edwards efforts thusfar? Because it seems as if Fewell got A LOT more out of less or similar talent...

Maybe it's just me, I don't know... B-)

One could say the same for every team.

As my father used to say, "you can wish for it in one hand and stevestojan in the other."

The D literally blitzed EIGHT in the second half of the Iggles game and couldn't sniff Vick.

This team has next to no pass rush, and that blueprint is now out there. And no pass rush doesn't do any favors for the CBs.

I point to option 3--- most defenses are struggling some, and we are only slightly behind that curve. Patience and a last offseason- particularly a full offseason should help. I haven't seen many exotic blitz schemes out there league wide.

Talent wise- we are one 34 OLB away, and still don't know about merriman due to the shoulder.

You know, defenses have been struggling this year WRT how much the league/rules committee has tilted the tables toward offense and scoring. Like him or not, James Harrison was correct; they're not being allowed to play defense anymore and soon it will be tantamount to flag football. But even with that in mind, our D has taken some serious beat-downs from guys who had no business putting up numbers like they did (see: Andy Dalton).

The fact that Wannstedt is in the mix now and yet the defense is still getting torched is even more baffling. Exactly what is Wannstedt doing? He's not having much effect up to this point.

I don't have insider knowledge, but he primarily coaches ILB. The ass't head coach title is something that definitely does make the guys look up to you and he has Gailey's ear more than another position coach, but it generally only means that he runs the team if/when the coach isn't there.

Not to make excuses for Edwards but...

Kyle Williams and Shawne Merriman were supposed to be the veteran stars of this defense. We've learned that both have been playing hurt all year and not as effective as hoped.

Dareus is still learning. McGee has been hurt as well.

Edwards is not blame less, but consider that nearly all of the best players on the defense, are men that Buddy Nix inherited. Byrd, Wilson, Williams, Kelsay, etc. The only person that Nix has brought in over the last two years that has become an impact player is Barnett. Maybe it will take more time, but Buddy hasn't exactly made it rain with defensive talent.

Edwards is not blame less, but consider that nearly all of the best players on the defense, are men that Buddy Nix inherited. Byrd, Wilson, Williams, Kelsay, etc. The only person that Nix has brought in over the last two years that has become an impact player is Barnett. Maybe it will take more time, but Buddy hasn't exactly made it rain with defensive talent.

Dareus looks good. Dwan Edwards was a solid, not spectacular signing. As you said- barnett. Merriman we just don't know if minus the shoulder he's a two sack in 9 plays guy- no telling. Resigned Wilson and Williams and Kelsey. He's getting a good core built. Totally changing schemes takes awhile normally. Coupled with a lockout.... It's a process.