George Edwards' Job Security (Chris Brown)

Sniper

If this, is correct, then there's the fist problem. Anyone paying attention knew that Merriman being able to go a few games without being sidelined was a major longshot. He certainly hasn't proven his critics wrong.

But what was the better alternative? Outside the pick at 34 I don't remember a "good" replacement...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the season started, would anyone have predicted that the Bills' pass rush would be so bad? Based on the names on the roster, I would have thought the pass rush would have been pretty good. I never thought that Merriman would return to "Lights Out" but I thought that Moats, Carrington, Dareus, Williams, Barnett, and even Kelsey would have been able to pressure the quarterback pretty well. I also assumed that some of the other rookies would show signs of pass rush ability by now. What was the smoking gun that would cause Nix to realize that the pass rush would be so bad? On paper, before the season, it looked ok to me, and probably to most other people as well. I wish all the people who are slamming Nix for not being more proactive would show some evidence that they predicted the lack of pass rush that we have been seeing lately.

But what was the better alternative? Outside the pick at 34 I don't remember a "good" replacement...

If the Bills were interested in drafting a pass rusher in April, Jabaal Sheard of Pitt (who I loved) was available when we took Aaron Williams at #34. Sheard went to the Browns at #37 and is starting for Cleveland. He has two sacks and 2 forced fumbles so far. Don't know how many pressures he has.

Several people here liked Brooks Reed and he went to Houston at #42. He is starting by default as he replaces Mario Williams who went on IR. Reed has zero sacks so far.

Of course because of injury concerns, DaQuan Bowers wasn't drafted until #51… he's had minimal impact so far.

Dontay Moch, who was pretty popular around here has played minimally so far for the Bengals. He was taken just before we took Kelvin Sheppard.

Many people here also liked Justin Houston who the Chiefs drafted in the 3rd round, 70th overall. He has started since day one but has not recorded a sack yet.

As I suggested a few weeks ago, Everette Brown (6 career sacks) is available as a free agent.

I also would be interested to know if the Bills considered re-signing Antonio Coleman and plugging him in as a pass rusher. He's on someone's practice squad at the moment and could be called back.

If the Bills were interested in drafting a pass rusher in April, Jabaal Sheard of Pitt (who I loved) was available when we took Aaron Williams at #34. Sheard went to the Browns at #37 and is starting for Cleveland. He has two sacks and 2 forced fumbles so far. Don't know how many pressures he has.

Several people here liked Brooks Reed and he went to Houston at #42. He is starting by default as he replaces Mario Williams who went on IR. Reed has zero sacks so far.

Of course because of injury concerns, DaQuan Bowers wasn't drafted until #51… he's had minimal impact so far.

Dontay Moch, who was pretty popular around here has played minimally so far for the Bengals. He was taken just before we took Kelvin Sheppard.

Many people here also liked Justin Houston who the Chiefs drafted in the 3rd round, 70th overall. He has started since day one but has not recorded a sack yet.

As I suggested a few weeks ago, Everette Brown (6 career sacks) is available as a free agent.

I also would be interested to know if the Bills considered re-signing Antonio Coleman and plugging him in as a pass rusher. He's on someone's practice squad at the moment and could be called back.

Like I said, outside of the second round, there wasn't much opportunity to get this pass rush fixed. All offseason I said this D will rise and fall with merriman. We will see if the shoulder gets healthy and he returns to preseason form.

At 34 do you try and replace McGee or merriman? I wouldve liked those guys, but I get it. I'm not going to call for anyone's head on the decision. You have to think Wanny knew sheard pretty well and passed.

The fact that Maybin just made yet a another sack for the Jets speaks volumes about the ineptitude of the Bills' coaching. I agreed with the idea of cutting him, and I am shocked that the Jets are able to make use of him. However, if the Bills couldn't do anything with him, who is at fault? I am convinced that the Bills have the talent to rush the quarterback but the defensive coaching, schemes, and techniques are just not getting the job done. I also believe that Wannstadt has been on the team long enough to be able to make suggestions and help guide the defense. I really hope this bye week gives the coaching staff the opportunity to figure out what is going on and fix the problem.

My point was that merriman was probably our best chance to find a pass rusher and we got him.... Those guys weren't out there. I don't see how not getting one is an indictment of the front office.

Chris Brown's word choice was "they were counting on" not "they tried a few different things and had to settle for Merriman for another season." My point was that Buddy Nix months before free agency and before the draft had openly declared that the Bills had no need whatsoever of upgrading the competition at outside linebacker.

If you think saying the DBs are fine, though banged up, and there is no pass rush and the very first evidence offered is to suggest that Merriman is cooked and that none of that is a reflection whatsoever of how the off-season went, then that's certainly your take on the situation.

For what it's worth, I agree that there wasn't a "ton" of great pass rushers on the free agent market. On the other hand, banking on Merriman was undoubtedly a big risk and it was taken by our front office. On the third hand, Moats showed some skills coming off the edge as a rookie and the Bills coaches moved him back to the inside. Then you got some people weeping over Maybin and how he's got a few sacks in a completely different defensive scheme. So maybe there were other answers?

The fact that Maybin just made yet a another sack for the Jets speaks volumes about the ineptitude of the Bills' coaching. I agreed with the idea of cutting him, and I am shocked that the Jets are able to make use of him. However, if the Bills couldn't do anything with him, who is at fault? I am convinced that the Bills have the talent to rush the quarterback but the defensive coaching, schemes, and techniques are just not getting the job done. I also believe that Wannstadt has been on the team long enough to be able to make suggestions and help guide the defense. I really hope this bye week gives the coaching staff the opportunity to figure out what is going on and fix the problem.

I just wanted to quote this because it is hilarious.

Since this is all about who to blame I think that Wanny is just as much to blame as Edwards. Wanny is the senior man and the highest ranking defensive coach on the team.

The real problem is the talent. Schemes do not win alone. The front 7 does not get to the QB. Merriman has been ineffctive, Kyle is hurt, Spencer and Dwan are on their last legs, Batten and Moats are not doing it, neither is Carrington. No one is getting to the QB. No one.

Lets stop blamming the coaches and ask the players to do their jobs. Either that or get better players.

Since this is all about who to blame I think that Wanny is just as much to blame as Edwards. Wanny is the senior man and the highest ranking defensive coach on the team.

The real problem is the talent. Schemes do not win alone. The front 7 does not get to the QB. Merriman has been ineffctive, Kyle is hurt, Spencer and Dwan are on their last legs, Batten and Moats are not doing it, neither is Carrington. No one is getting to the QB. No one.

Lets stop blamming the coaches and ask the players to do their jobs. Either that or get better players.

Well, with both of them in there, the Bills led the league in turnovers. Without both, they weren't able to force a single TO from a mistake-prone QB. They'll get Merriman back for the Skins game, so we'll have a better idea who was more responsible for the turnovers.

Well, with both of them in there, the Bills led the league in turnovers. Without both, they weren't able to force a single TO from a mistake-prone QB. They'll get Merriman back for the Skins game, so we'll have a better idea who was more responsible for the turnovers.

Exactly. We are one of the worst defenses in the league when we don't get turnovers.

Or give Chan Gailey the guts to go to Wannestedts office and have him create a blueprint for creating some semblance of a pass rush. Edwards is just plain mediocre and it is starting to impact the W-L columns in the wrong way.

Hi Bob,

The players are certainly taking it on themselves.

As far as the better players, I think what many of us are seeing is we put two drafts into D and several FA acquisitions. Barnett seems like an upgrade to Poz. Dareus is an upgrade and Williams has come into his own though playing injured. Edwards seems solid. Most of the DL and LB are this regime's choices. So if the players aren't better, that certainly falls on the FO, coaches as well as staff.

I think we have some talent. Coaching and schemes are also important. What I think is being looked at, is our D looked much better under Fewell. Was it all Schobel? Or do coaching and schemes have something to do with it?

How will we get better players, if beyond Dareus and Barnett the players this regime have chosen just aren't doing their jobs and aren't good enough?