George Edwards' Job Security (Chris Brown)

Sniper

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were relying on Merriman? Wow, a guy who's previous 3 seasons were ruined by injury and this is the guy that you were counting on?

Buddy's refusal to draft a legit edge rusher in his first 2 drafts has baffled me (among other things that he'd done). The great defensive rebuild by Buddy seems to be more of a myth than anything. Luckily he had Fitz, SJ, FJ on the roster or we'd be a train wreck. Hopefully, he gets his head right on draft day and realizes the thing that made those SD defenses so good were Merriman and Phillips disrupting every pass play. No more waterbugs Buddy.

+1

Sure reads like Brown's response isn't a strong, ringing endorsement for the front office. The "counting on" and "not the same guy" comment on Merriman was what a lot of folks were saying before the season -- specifically, that banking on Merriman returning to superstar form was a big gamble. Then he concludes with a "feeling that some of these younger players" will emerge. Two defense heavy drafts and all they can say is that have a feeling a couple of guys might be adequate? I hope so too, but that's not exactly evidence and falls short of a more conclusive statement such as "several of the young players are really stepping up nicely" or some such.

Sure reads like Brown's response isn't a strong, ringing endorsement for the front office. The "counting on" and "not the same guy" comment on Merriman was what a lot of folks were saying before the season -- specifically, that banking on Merriman returning to superstar form was a big gamble. Then he concludes with a "feeling that some of these younger players" will emerge. Two defense heavy drafts and all they can say is that have a feeling a couple of guys might be adequate? I hope so too, but that's not exactly evidence and falls short of a more conclusive statement such as "several of the young players are really stepping up nicely" or some such.

SO true!!!

Dareus has played OK...He's no Suh, but he's not bad either...He's Starting and contributing, but that's expected of the #3 Overall Pick...To be honest I was expecting a little more by now...

Then there's Troup, Carrington, Moats, Batten, Williams, Sheppard, Searcy, White, Rogers, and Jasper...Carrington looks like the best of this bunch...But besides a blocked FG, and a decent play here and there, he really has not done much...Still I think he'll be a decent Player longterm...Shep does look like he may be a good ILB in time...I like that Kid, but who knows at this point? Troup? UGH!...A freaking 2nd Round Pick...Rob Gronkowski was the next pick... :cry:...Think The Bills could use Sean Lee? Could have had him too...I know, I know, Troup is a pure 3-4 Nose...Let's see who Starts vs. Washington...My guess is it will be Kellen Heard...Moats has offered some pressure every now and again...But it takes injuries for him to get much PT...Batten stepped up...in Pre Season...Williams was not even close to being ready for the Nickle or Dime coming out of Training Camp...It's like he had a target painted on his helmet when he was in there before he got hurt...He made one nice play in Pre Season and the rest of the time pretty much got torched...The rest?...meh...

I'm not saying there is not talent here, nor am I saying they can't turn it around and have a few of these Kids step-up...But so far to say this group has been a disappointment overall is an understatement to say the least... B-)

say what you want, someone needs to own up to this mess of a D....and then fall on that axe (preferably id like the ACTUAL responsible person to fall on that axe so we can get this right)

Just because you say so? I think not. We changed defensive philosophies a season and a half ago. We won't be bigger and have a pass rush overnight. Sometimes life isn't fun. Sorry, but that's reality.

I find it especially amusing that the people decrying Merriman when so many wanted the Bills to sign every aging free agent on the market.

I also wonder if the people who think this is Buddy Nix talking even doubt their own opinions after being alerted to the fact that it was not Buddy Nix. It also seems to show how many people don't pay attention at all.

I find it especially amusing that the people decrying Merriman when so many wanted the Bills to sign every aging free agent on the market.

I also wonder if the people who think this is Buddy Nix talking even doubt their own opinions after being alerted to the fact that it was not Buddy Nix. It also seems to show how many people don't pay attention at all.

There are a few of you on this board that will defend anything the Bills do. Does it ever get exhausting?

There are a few of you on this board that will defend anything the Bills do. Does it ever get exhausting?

Does it ever get exhausting for the people attacking everything they do? Seriously, it sounds as if some of these people just listen to Scoop and Bulldog all day and can't come up with their own schtick.

They really missed out on a ton of chances to plug in a sure thing OLB this offseason..... Oh wait... Some second round question marks are pretty much the only chance they passed up

Does it ever get exhausting for the people attacking everything they do? Seriously, it sounds as if some of these people just listen to Scoop and Bulldog all day and can't come up with their own schtick.

Go ahead and read through my post history. Credit where credit is due. Criticism where criticism is due. It's called real life.

I wasn't aware I had 'defend' anything. I was not a fan of bring Merriman in because I felt the cost/benefit was low much in the same way that I feel the value of dropping Edwards during the season is low.

You have been one of the biggest doom and gloomers on this board. Does a 4-2 record make you doubt your opinion at all?

I wasn't aware I had 'defend' anything. I was not a fan of bring Merriman in because I felt the cost/benefit was low much in the same way that I feel the value of dropping Edwards during the season is low.

You have been one of the biggest doom and gloomers on this board. Does a 4-2 record make you doubt your opinion at all?

And you would defend the Bills if they signed Jeff George.

If you call me starting posts in the preseason saying that the Bills will lack a pass rush this year a doom and gloom post then I guess I'm guilty. I've criticized Buddy's first draft....am I wrong? I've also been a huge fan of Gailey since the beginning and said Fred Jackson wasn't whining and that he's been underrated since the day he got here. I'm way more balanced than you Pollyannas.

The problem is that you don't take off your rose colored glasses long enough to actually read through a thread. I'm sure you defended Marv as a GM too.

Edited by John Cocktosten

And you would defend the Bills if they signed Jeff George.

If you call me starting posts in the preseason saying that the Bills will lack a pass rush this year a doom and gloom post then I guess I'm guilty. I've criticized Buddy's first draft....am I wrong? I've also been a huge fan of Gailey since the beginning and said Fred Jackson wasn't whining and that he's been underrated since the day he got here. I'm way more balanced than you Pollyannas.

The problem is that you don't take off your rose colored glasses long enough to actually read through a thread. I'm sure you defended Marv as a GM too.

How's the offense, and O-line in particular, working out for you?

They really missed out on a ton of chances to plug in a sure thing OLB this offseason..... Oh wait... Some second round question marks are pretty much the only chance they passed up

Not sure who said there was a "ton of chances", but it wasn't going to happen even if there were a few chances. Buddy Nix told anyone that listened exactly that at the Senior Bowl.

Not sure who said there was a "ton of chances", but it wasn't going to happen even if there were a few chances. Buddy Nix told anyone that listened exactly that at the Senior Bowl.

My point was that merriman was probably our best chance to find a pass rusher and we got him.... Those guys weren't out there. I don't see how not getting one is an indictment of the front office.

I think everything Chris Brown said is correct. No mystery to it.

PTR

If this,

They were counting on Merriman and he’s not the same guy

is correct, then there's the fist problem. Anyone paying attention knew that Merriman being able to go a few games without being sidelined was a major longshot. He certainly hasn't proven his critics wrong.