Bills Hire Firm for Stadium Facelift

CBD

I'd pay 3 bucks, then every 3-4 years go up a buck...because of inflation!

If they told me the Bills would stay for another 20 yrs but they were doubling the price of my season ticket price, I would sign the contract immediately.

Edited by Maddog69

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd pay 3 bucks, then every 3-4 years go up a buck...because of inflation!

Agree.....that is reasonable and people who are reasonable would agree to a plan like that. Bills museum? Buffalo Sports HOF, those types of things could possibly be added to produce a small revenue stream. $100M to renovate or a new $600M stadium....hmmmmmmmm

Link to the selected architectural firm Populous - Stadium Projects.

Also, more details from John Wawrow:

Bills stadium renovations suggest team to stay put

Thanks for adding a "bylined" story. for us in the business, always nice to get that recognition.

there'll be a slight change to this one coming as I just got off the phone with the lead architect, who discussed some specific potential improvements, including expanding the concourses.

jw

These guys know what they are doing given the projects in which they have been involved -- including Emirates in London for my favorite English football team and the Sun Life Stadium improvements down here for the Dolphins which I have seen in person.

As I said earlier, this is good news. There would be no reason to bother with this if the master plan were to leave.

Link to the selected architectural firm Populous - Stadium Projects.

Also, more details from John Wawrow:

Bills stadium renovations suggest team to stay put

John - nice article.

Thanks for adding a "bylined" story. for us in the business, always nice to get that recognition.

there'll be a slight change to this one coming as I just got off the phone with the lead architect, who discussed some specific potential improvements, including expanding the concourses.

jw

Edited by Peter

Good to hear they are interested in investing in the Ralph. I don't think that a new stadium is economically viable. But a 100-150 million dollar renovation (with a small 50 millionish public investment) is really economically viable for Buffalo.

It also would likely get the team to stay in Buffalo for the foreseeable future as they would likely extend the lease 10-20 years.

If Bills' fans want the team to stay in Buffalo, then it will come at a price. The NFL is easily the most popular sport in the country, and the competition for franchises is intense. Whether we like it or not or want to believe it or not, the NFL does not owe the city a team. It seems to me that this deal is a relatively small price to pay for keeping the team.

4 years? Numbers please.

State collects $20M per year on the Bills with employee salaries, taxes on Bills goods, services, etc.....Pretty good ROI with $20M per year on a $100M investment. The state wastes a lot of money...this at least they would make back. Although I believe the Bills should be responsible for some.

I can imagine them maybe considering a 1/2 roof... Like open over the field but having the top level covered.

I think that would actually be a great idea and insulate the fans from the horrible winds and make for a "cleaner" game. Regardless of what anybody says how they love the freezing weather and all that anyone who has been at games with the horrible winds the past few years will tell you it was a terrible experience. We don't need a dome but if the stadium can dampen the winds a bit it makes everyone's game experience better.

Good to hear they are interested in investing in the Ralph. I don't think that a new stadium is economically viable. But a 100-150 million dollar renovation (with a small 50 millionish public investment) is really economically viable for Buffalo.

It also would likely get the team to stay in Buffalo for the foreseeable future as they would likely extend the lease 10-20 years.

Are you speculating that the Bills will kick in $50+ mil towards these renovations? Keep dreaming. It will be taxpayer funded...all of it.

Edited by LabattBlue

Here is my brief analysis of the Bills stadium improvements situation.

Buffalo Bills Payroll $100,000,000

NYS Income Tax 5%

Annual total. $5,000,000

73,000 seats x 10 games x $60ave ticket price = $43,800,000

NYS Sales Tax 8.75%

Annual total $3,832,500

Total annual tax revenues $8,832,500

15 years X $8,832,500

Total of tax revenues over 15 years

$132,487,500

NYS issues a 15 year bond for improvements in exchange for a 15 year unbreakable lease with the elimination of the Toronto game.

Tax revenues more than pay for the cost of improvements plus interest.

Without the improvements the team is gone and so are the tax revenues.

This is a revenue neutral deal that could keep the team here after Ralph's passing

I also feel my figures are very conservative.

Here is my brief analysis of the Bills stadium improvements situation.

Buffalo Bills Payroll $100,000,000

NYS Income Tax 5%

Annual total. $5,000,000

73,000 seats x 10 games x $60ave ticket price = $43,800,000

NYS Sales Tax 8.75%

Annual total $3,832,500

Total annual tax revenues $8,832,500

15 years X $8,832,500

Total of tax revenues over 15 years

$132,487,500

NYS issues a 15 year bond for improvements in exchange for a 15 year unbreakable lease with the elimination of the Toronto game.

Tax revenues more than pay for the cost of improvements plus interest.

Without the improvements the team is gone and so are the tax revenues.

This is a revenue neutral deal that could keep the team here after Ralph's passing

I also feel my figures are very conservative.

NY State Tax for the high Income folks is .06875. NY has a "pac-man" tax that eliminates your deductions and exemptions above a certain income level.

In addition, the visiting teams have to pay NYS Income Tax When they come to Buffalo, but the Bills pay other State Taxes when they travel unless they are NYS Residents for Tax Purposes. So if the Titans or Cowboys (Texas & TN have no state Income Tax) come to Buffalo, NY gets those taxes as well, and the Bills that live year-round in Buffalo, still have to pay their NYS Resident taxes even if they play in a no-income tax state (e.g. Florida, Tennessee, Texas).

Edited by BearNorth

I saw numbers of $100 million for work. That's a steal. Figure that is like 10% of what a new state of the art stadium would cost.

Also, local politicians wanted the state to pay for it. I'm for that too. For all the money I pay in state taxes, I get nothing back. It's flushed towards state workers pay and bennies. At least for once I get something I use in return

Collins just said they ran a study and the Bills generate $20 mil a year in direct revenues for the state. $100 million in upgrades for a 10 year lease is a bargain. When people start complaining about this, it honestly makes me wonder why Wilson keeps the team here after all. $100 mil? There's a group on the west coast that would throw a $1 billion dollar stadium at the team.

Collins just said they ran a study and the Bills generate $20 mil a year in direct revenues for the state. $100 million in upgrades for a 10 year lease is a bargain. When people start complaining about this, it honestly makes me wonder why Wilson keeps the team here after all. $100 mil? There's a group on the west coast that would throw a $1 billion dollar stadium at the team.

Yep!