4-3 or not 4-3, that is the question...

Do we still have the personnel to run a successful 4-3 defense under maybe the guidance of wanny? Cuz it seems as though we always have a LB wit their hands down before the snap. What's the major difference in the LB's in the 3-4 as opposed to the 4-3. Couldn't barnett run the mike in the 4-3 setup?? Dareus may be bettter suited to play along side williams in a steady dose of 4-3 action rather than the 3-4. Im not sure that's why I need some enlightening please. Thnx.

Do we still have the personnel to run a successful 4-3 defense under maybe the guidance of wanny? Cuz it seems as though we always have a LB wit their hands down before the snap. What's the major difference in the LB's in the 3-4 as opposed to the 4-3. Couldn't barnett run the mike in the 4-3 setup?? Dareus may be bettter suited to play along side williams in a steady dose of 4-3 action rather than the 3-4. Im not sure that's why I need some enlightening please. Thnx.

Seems we've been running a 4-3 alot this season. IMHO when you put a linebacker in a 3 point stance at the end of the line and have him rush, he's now a DE. I guess we don't have any good DEs, because we keep using linebackers there. I've seen Merriman do it a lot as well as Batten. Kindof an interesting idea though, play LBs at DE. "Coach" Edwards is a coaching genius!

Sure 4-3 better than what we doing now.

LE Carrington

T Dareus

T Williams

RE Edwards

LB's Kelsey Run Scott pass, Sheppard, Merriman ...Moats on passing downs

Safties Wilson, Byrd

CB's McGee, Florence

There u go.

Kelsay would be at DE in the 4-3

we have been running both all season long and most likely will continue too..most defenses who run a 3-4 switch alot to 4-3 or some type of hybrid..our base is, and will be a 3-4 with plenty of shifting to 4-3...but we dont have the personel to effectively run EITHER defense, need another offseason of personel upgrades (mainly, pass rushers and run stoppers haha)

No, the past two drafts have been for 34 guys and now they want to play 43 hy-brick defense :wallbash: we need a real 34 coordinator!

Seems we've been running a 4-3 alot this season. IMHO when you put a linebacker in a 3 point stance at the end of the line and have him rush, he's now a DE. I guess we don't have any good DEs, because we keep using linebackers there. I've seen Merriman do it a lot as well as Batten. Kindof an interesting idea though, play LBs at DE. "Coach" Edwards is a coaching genius!

this is exactly the problem.

I see the temptation because Williams and Dareus would be awesome DTs in a 4-3, Carrington, Edwards, and Johnson could rotate Between LE and DT, Heard would a DT only, the Bills would lack a legit RE (unless, one of our OLBs could fill but I don't see it).

LBs would be a total mess (I'd guess 2-3 might be able to make the transition- White, Sheppard, Barnett maybe).

The crux of the problem in my mind is 1. Williams is both one of our best players and not a traditional NT or 3-4 DE but more importantly 2. we don't have Stud OLBs which is where most of your sacks and pressures come from in a traditional 3-4.

I think for 4 years we complained that we werent running a 3-4... some people will never be happy

But with two offseasons we haven't brought in the 6-7 new starters needed to switch schemes PLUS depth PLUS replace guys that have walked PLUS hold onto guys. This is clearly a lost cause. Should have been a simple switch from undersized cover 2 zone to oversized 34 man players.... I know premiere players were fighting to come here.

And don't get me started on that coach. He had 4 weeks to get the guys ready and didn't install ravens/steelers blitz schemes. Heck- without merriman(just an injured bum), the tiny NT williams and that hack Kelsay he couldn't get pressure. If he can't get it done with those 3 off the field how's he supposed to with them when they get back healthy.