All Time Underappreciated Bills

The St. Petersburg Times ran an article today called "Top Ten Most Underappreciated Buccaneers". Pretty interesting stuff. Since it's a bye week, thought I'd run through my list of all-time underappreciated Bills (in no particular order). And no, you can't include Phil Hansen. If you're name is on the friggin' wall, you can't be friggin' underappreciated.

1. Jim Braxton. Did the dirty work for O.J. Powerful runner in his own right.

2. Bobby Chandler. One of the best possession receivers in Bills' history. Great blocker for O.J., especially for someone his size. Had a bunch of productive seasons after being traded to Oakland.

3. Mark Pike. Bad luck being a great special teams player on a team with the best special teams player of all time.

4. Frank Lewis. Jerry Butler had more flash but Lewis put together several strong seasons with the Bills.

5. Jim Ritcher. What was it? Something like sixteen years of solid left guard play?

6. Charles Rhomes. I remember him being a pretty good cornerback for us for a long time.

7. Pete Metzelaars. Strange career. Started for us for a bunch of years. Got benched for a few years in favor of Keith McKellar and then started again for a bunch of years after McKellar was gone. Strong blocker and dependable receiver.

8. Derrick Burroughs. He was really, really good. Better CB than Nate Odomes. Always thought we would have won Super Bowl XXV if he hadn't suffered career ended injury in 1989.

9. Daryl Talley. Underappreciated for first half of career. Pretty well appreciated after 1990.

10. Fred Jackson. He'll be off this list soon enough. Pay the man!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see - I think Aaron Schobel deserves mention. He was all the pass rush we've had since Bruce retired, and he never got credit for it. London Fletcher was a very good middle linebacker who was let go for Poz. Rian Lindell has been very reliable for a long time now. For older players, there's always Kenny Davis, who kept Thurman fresh without letting us down, either blocking or running, and of course, big Ted Washington, who is well regarded but is really the only player of his kind we've ever had.

I think, in general, all Bills greats (except possibly OJ Simpson) are underrated, depending on who is doing the rating. I am always shocked to see some of the stuff that people here post about the greatest players in team history...it seems, somewhere along the way, it became in vougue to trash the Super Bowl era greats... but anyway, off my soap-box.

Some of my all-time favorite Bills, most aren't mentioned as franchise greats:

1- Travis Henry: sure the guy was a complete maroon off the field, but I don't think there was any guy, in this dark decade, who gave it his all, more consistently, when he was on the field, than TH!

2- Peerless Price V.1: Leaving Buffalo was bad for his career, and, as it turned out, bad for the Bills too. IMO, for about two years, he had some of the sweetest after the catch moves in recent times...Roscoe Parrish could learn a thing or two, watching the good Price. He created his own space. In his second stint with the team, he clearly had lost a bit, but still was a team leader, and seemed to appreciate his time in Buffalo, after straying from the fold.

3- Steve Freeman- Still one of my favorite Bills of all time...not the fastest safety ever, but one of the smartest. Played on some gawd-awful Bills teams, so he isn't thought of much.

4- Eugene Marve- just missed out on the glory years of the Bills going to Super Bowls. Solid linebacker, was under-appreciated before Talley made it popular!

5- Luscious Sanford- see Eugene Marve

6- Joe Cribbs- okay, most knowledgeable Bills fans realize this guy was a phenomenal player, but, over recent years, every time this topic comes up, posters who likely never saw him play, say he wasn't any good, and recall more about him going to the USFL, than they do all the great times he spent on the Knox-era Bills teams. Had he been with a more stable franchise, I believe, Cribbs would be considered one of the greatest players of the 80's.

7- Antwain Smith- I know I will get crap for this, but I think, almost more than anything else, one of Wade Phillips greatest blunders as Bills head coach, was letting Joe Pendry relegate, by far, our best running back, to spot duty, while mediocre talents like Jonathan Linton and Sean Bryson took turns gaining 1.2 yards per carry. Smith was clearly the best RB of the trio, but, for whatever reason, could not stay on the OC's good side...it shortened his time in Buffalo. I can still remember, many, many games where the "not-so dynamic duo" would struggle to get yards, Smith would come in for a few carries, get 5-7 yards per, only to get dragged back to the bench. Waste of a talented player.

Just a handful that come to mind...

I think, in general, all Bills greats (except possibly OJ Simpson) are underrated, depending on who is doing the rating. I am always shocked to see some of the stuff that people here post about the greatest players in team history...it seems, somewhere along the way, it became in vougue to trash the Super Bowl era greats... but anyway, off my soap-box.

Some of my all-time favorite Bills, most aren't mentioned as franchise greats:

1- Travis Henry: sure the guy was a complete maroon off the field, but I don't think there was any guy, in this dark decade, who gave it his all, more consistently, when he was on the field, than TH!

2- Peerless Price V.1: Leaving Buffalo was bad for his career, and, as it turned out, bad for the Bills too. IMO, for about two years, he had some of the sweetest after the catch moves in recent times...Roscoe Parrish could learn a thing or two, watching the good Price. He created his own space. In his second stint with the team, he clearly had lost a bit, but still was a team leader, and seemed to appreciate his time in Buffalo, after straying from the fold.

3- Steve Freeman- Still one of my favorite Bills of all time...not the fastest safety ever, but one of the smartest. Played on some gawd-awful Bills teams, so he isn't thought of much.

4- Eugene Marve- just missed out on the glory years of the Bills going to Super Bowls. Solid linebacker, was under-appreciated before Talley made it popular!

5- Luscious Sanford- see Eugene Marve

6- Joe Cribbs- okay, most knowledgeable Bills fans realize this guy was a phenomenal player, but, over recent years, every time this topic comes up, posters who likely never saw him play, say he wasn't any good, and recall more about him going to the USFL, than they do all the great times he spent on the Knox-era Bills teams. Had he been with a more stable franchise, I believe, Cribbs would be considered one of the greatest players of the 80's.

7- Antwain Smith- I know I will get crap for this, but I think, almost more than anything else, one of Wade Phillips greatest blunders as Bills head coach, was letting Joe Pendry relegate, by far, our best running back, to spot duty, while mediocre talents like Jonathan Linton and Sean Bryson took turns gaining 1.2 yards per carry. Smith was clearly the best RB of the trio, but, for whatever reason, could not stay on the OC's good side...it shortened his time in Buffalo. I can still remember, many, many games where the "not-so dynamic duo" would struggle to get yards, Smith would come in for a few carries, get 5-7 yards per, only to get dragged back to the bench. Waste of a talented player.

Just a handful that come to mind...

Love The Eugene Marve mention.

One terrific DE for the Bills who is too often forgotten

is Ben Williams. -In my book a better player than Schobel

and a few other better known Bills.

QB- Doug Flutie -even with all the hype he covered for a line that wasnt very good

RB- Greg Bell -good back who could catch and run and brought us Bennett - thank you Greg

RB- Robb Riddick -pretty descent all around back, bounced back from a broken leg in year two

WR- Chris Burkett -was a pretty descent performer

WR- Bob Chandler -despite never having a partner to work with pretty good reciever

TE- Ruben Gant -I'd take him today

OT- Joe Devlin -I always thought one of the best we ever had

OT- John Fina -we should have built around him instead we left him by himself

OG- John Davis -the o-line was never as good as when he was in there

OG- Tim Vogler -really solid O-lineman

OC- Will Grant -undersized for even back then

-------------------------------------------------------

DE- Sean McNanie -not a great player but he could start on this team

NT- Mike Kadish -one of few solid players at the time

DE- Art Still -we got him too late but was still a good player

LB- Lucious Sanford -active linebacker solid player

LB- Eugene Marve -this poor guy was one hell of a player on some bad teams

LB- Scott Radecic -another blue collar guy I would take today

LB- Sam Rogers -always knew his assignments solid player

CB- Derrick Burroughs -career cut short right at the time he was coming on

CB- Antoine Winfield -have been trying to find his replacement still

SS- Jeff Nixon -knew where to be never a hard hitter but smart

FS- Rod Kush -punishing tackler

P- John Kidd - good punter on some lousy teams

PK- Rian Lindell - he's been a great kicker even though his team hasn't been very good

Joe ferguson would be on my list as would:

Bobby Chandler

Brian Moorman

Frank Reich

Reggie Mckenzie

Sam Gash

Not taking away from others listed

Tom Cousineau (sp?) belongs here also as without his trade the greatest era of the Bills may never have gotten off the ground

QB- Doug Flutie -even with all the hype he covered for a line that wasnt very good

RB- Greg Bell -good back who could catch and run and brought us Bennett - thank you Greg

RB- Robb Riddick -pretty descent all around back, bounced back from a broken leg in year two

WR- Chris Burkett -was a pretty descent performer

WR- Bob Chandler -despite never having a partner to work with pretty good reciever

TE- Ruben Gant -I'd take him today

OT- Joe Devlin -I always thought one of the best we ever had

OT- John Fina -we should have built around him instead we left him by himself

OG- John Davis -the o-line was never as good as when he was in there

OG- Tim Vogler -really solid O-lineman

OC- Will Grant -undersized for even back then

-------------------------------------------------------

DE- Sean McNanie -not a great player but he could start on this team

NT- Mike Kadish -one of few solid players at the time

DE- Art Still -we got him too late but was still a good player

LB- Lucious Sanford -active linebacker solid player

LB- Eugene Marve -this poor guy was one hell of a player on some bad teams

LB- Scott Radecic -another blue collar guy I would take today

LB- Sam Rogers -always knew his assignments solid player

CB- Derrick Burroughs -career cut short right at the time he was coming on

CB- Antoine Winfield -have been trying to find his replacement still

SS- Jeff Nixon -knew where to be never a hard hitter but smart

FS- Rod Kush -punishing tackler

P- John Kidd - good punter on some lousy teams

PK- Rian Lindell - he's been a great kicker even though his team hasn't been very good

My 26CornerBlitz came from him. :thumbsup: