Maybin has 0.5 less sacks than our entire team

deep2evans

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are we arguing about here? That we should have kept Maybin?

PTR

I think what the guy is trying to say is this:

Maybin was drafted to be a pass rusher. He failed miserably while he was here, but is having some success with our division rival. So, clearly he is capable of getting to the QB, but our coaches were not able to put him in a situation where he could do that here. Therefore our ooaches suck.

To some degree I can understand the frustration. I think we could have done more to make use of his natural ability. But part of his success is most likely because he is on a team with more talented defensive players and a much more aggressive scheme.

Here is the issue. We are upset because Maybn has 3 sacks in 3 games and our team could use a pass rush. Maybin would not help at all on this team. One sack in the 1st quarter would do nothing. He is barely in the game. He can't play the run so he is used sparingly, I watched the game. We need consistent, I repeat CONSISTENT, pressure on the QB. Just because he got past the RB one play and they had one extra guy on the field where he wasn't blocked another, does not mae him good. I don't wish him the worst, but he wouldn't help.

I hear you.

Basically, if we ran the same scheme as the Jets, any of our LB's would be in a position to make those same plays, as well. It's easy to get a sack when you're the guy who gets to rush the QB without a blocker to slow you down.

Here is the issue. We are upset because Maybn has 3 sacks in 3 games and our team could use a pass rush. Maybin would not help at all on this team. One sack in the 1st quarter would do nothing. He is barely in the game. He can't play the run so he is used sparingly, I watched the game. We need consistent, I repeat CONSISTENT, pressure on the QB. Just because he got past the RB one play and they had one extra guy on the field where he wasn't blocked another, does not mae him good. I don't wish him the worst, but he wouldn't help.

I think the frustration is that the Bills have no pass rush. Eli Manning had all day to throw. Maybin is irrelevant, his sacks just give people a chance to vent about the Bills lack of pass rush. Some people think it's because of personnel, some people think it's because of poor coaching. Whatever the reason, people are just using Maybin's sacks as a way to focus their frustration. At least, that's my guess/opinion. I could be wrong.

The fact is Maybin is not an every down player. He's not even a '3rd down' or 'obvious passing down' player. He's an 'obvious long developing passing play where we know we can get him matched up against an RB' player. If you can get him in that position, he will pressure the QB every single time and do it quickly.

I think the frustration is that the Bills have no pass rush. Eli Manning had all day to throw. Maybin is irrelevant, his sacks just give people a chance to vent about the Bills lack of pass rush. Some people think it's because of personnel, some people think it's because of poor coaching. Whatever the reason, people are just using Maybin's sacks as a way to focus their frustration. At least, that's my guess/opinion. I could be wrong.

This +1!

So what are we arguing about here? That we should have kept Maybin?

PTR

Maybe some are arguing that he wasn't developed properly or given the right opportunity (notice I didn't say AN opportunity) here. But I think the poster above who said that being cut might have lit a fire under Maybin's butt probably has it right. On the other hand, it's tough to find a lot of good to say about Edwards right now, and that includes Maybin.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

This is the mindset that is so stupid.

First off, this is a message board, its where you second guess ****.

Second off, the point is why did he not work for the Bills and then work VERY well for our division rivals. He wasn't even getting put on the field by Gailey and we all said "wow, this must be because he really sucks". Well, guess what. His numbers on the Jets don't lie. I'd love to hear Gailey/Nix explain this.

They missed. Plain and simple. They missed. It happens. But its time for Bills fans to be comfortable in criticizing Nix and Gailey.

Oh, dear lord. Second guessing is fine; however, when everyone's first guess was to get rid of him before Gailey/Nix/et al, it's absolutely absurd for there to be whining about it. If he becomes a star for the division rivals: yes, that sucks, but let's not pretend that there was not 99% of this board was calling for his head from day one.

Frankly, he was my choice for pick that year, and if I had my druthers, they would have kept him on the off chance he would have even these three sacks (which do not mean he's a superstar, btw), but even having said that, I do not think it was a stupid move. Hell, the Jets cut him as well.

True, but he wouldn't help us at that.

Actually, Maybin had a TFL and two QB hits. He's playing well, as much as I hate to say it. The key lesson I hope the Bills learned is that we're not a good fit for unmotivated players who don't want to be in Buffalo. Hopefully we continue to draft players like Dareus, who is the kind of guy that'll work hard at every stage and has had enough hardship to know that he has to earn his playing time.

Actually, Maybin had a TFL and two QB hits. He's playing well, as much as I hate to say it. The key lesson I hope the Bills learned is that we're not a good fit for unmotivated players who don't want to be in Buffalo. Hopefully we continue to draft players like Dareus, who is the kind of guy that'll work hard at every stage and has had enough hardship to know that he has to earn his playing time.

The key point is that they were coverage sacks.

Maybin wouldn't help the Bills with a pass rush.

The Jets have a great secondary and can afford to have this one dimensial player.

People complaining about Maybin would be like people complaining if the Bills traded Spiller and he went on the throw three halfback passes for TD's in 3 straight games. he's a gadgety pass-rushed on a Rex Ryan team that is probably the best team in the league at manufacturing pressure from weird places.

We get rid of this guy 3 weeks ago and now he has 3 sacks! WTF

You can't make sacks sitting on the bench. Apparently he's something of a gamer. I still think he was on something because he showed up at the combine 25 lbs heavier than his playing weight in college. After the draft he shows up in Buffalo back down to his college playing weight. This might have destroyed any trust that Ralph Wilson had in him with this organization.

It will indeed suck if Maybin ends up being another in a long list of Bills that got run out of town that ended up contributing or starting on teams for other winning organizations.