We need a replacement for Merriman

PS 56

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Former college pass rush phenom, Everette Brown is currently a free agent.

Brown was expected to be a first rounder in 2009 and when he was still available in the second round Carolina traded a 2010 first rounder to the San Francisco 49ers so they could draft Brown with the 43rd pick. San Francisco used that pick to draft Mike Iupati (17th overall) last year.

While Brown is undoubtedly considered a bust, he does have 6 career sacks and an interception and was considered a near-prototypical 3-4 OLB and a polished pass rusher.

Besides being available, I'm not sure what the back story is on Brown.

This seems like a no risk scenario. Reclamation projects are usually unsuccessful, but Brown had limited playing time in Carolina. I wonder if he had other issues, since unlike Maybin seems to have legit OLB size and put a few qbs down. He's young, and I'm guessing didn't feast on no-name schools in college like Maybin either. Why not give him a tuesday FA tryout?

What was his deal in Carolina?

Edit: saw several articles stating Brown did not have the strength necessary for the position despite his quick first step.

Edited by Wayne Fontes

This seems like a no risk scenario. Reclamation projects are usually unsuccessful, but Brown had limited playing time in Carolina. I wonder if he had other issues, since unlike Maybin seems to have legit OLB size and put a few qbs down. He's young, and I'm guessing didn't feast on no-name schools in college like Maybin either. Why not give him a tuesday FA tryout?

What was his deal in Carolina?

Edit: saw several articles stating Brown did not have the strength necessary for the position despite his quick first step.

Thanks WF.

Wow. Were they recent articles? Here's his Wiki page… he did 26 reps at the combine which is pretty respectable. Also he got his degree and seems like a pretty solid citizen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everette_Brown

Sack and 2 FF. Don't know the context.

Maybin? Tonight?

Thanks WF.

Wow. Were they recent articles? Here's his Wiki page… he did 26 reps at the combine which is pretty respectable. Also he got his degree and seems like a pretty solid citizen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everette_Brown

Maybin? Tonight?

Maybin, yes.

The articles I found on google were write ups after his release. He's probably a better candidate for reputation rehab than my ex.

Maybin? Tonight?

He ran up behind Reggie Bush after a 9-yard gain and knocked the ball loose. And he sacked Matt Moore just as the QB was trying to step out of bounds. I don't think he actually touched the ball either time. Just poor ball security. And the fumbles rolled out of bounds both times.

I never saw him get any legit pressure.

He ran up behind Reggie Bush after a 9-yard gain and knocked the ball loose. And he sacked Matt Moore just as the QB was trying to step out of bounds. I don't think he actually touched the ball either time. Just poor ball security. And the fumbles rolled out of bounds both times.

I never saw him get any legit pressure.

LOL! That sounds much more plausible.

Thanks! I feel much better.

Former college pass rush phenom, Everette Brown is currently a free agent.

Brown was expected to be a first rounder in 2009 and when he was still available in the second round Carolina traded a 2010 first rounder to the San Francisco 49ers so they could draft Brown with the 43rd pick. San Francisco used that pick to draft Mike Iupati (17th overall) last year.

While Brown is undoubtedly considered a bust, he does have 6 career sacks and an interception and was considered a near-prototypical 3-4 OLB and a polished pass rusher.

Besides being available, I'm not sure what the back story is on Brown.

Interesting post. Might be worth a look if we can get him cheaply.

Is anyone on this thread surprised that Merriman is an injury waiting to happen? As hopeful as I was in pre-season, I told my buds that Merriman would be out by 1/3 into the season, at least for a while, nursing one injury or another. Hate it when I am right. Dude was a steroid abuser who got caught. One of the many reasons these guys take roids is to recuperate from injury. His body was used to that help and now it isn't there. Guy got hurt 15 min in his first practice with this team last year, then was nursing injury after 2 plays against Chicago in pre-season.

Merriman = Bob Sanders

Nice history, can't help you when they are on the sidelines 2/3 of the season. Whether Merriman is any good when he plays, you guys can debate that. I can prove mathematically that we get zero production out of him when he is not playing.

As much as it pains me to say this, I think we need a replacement for Shawne Merriman at linebacker. Whether it's his shoulder, Achilles, or whatever, Shawn's injuries will keep him from playing the full schedule for the rest of the year. When he plays he is great. When he is injured on the sideline he can not contribute. His injury history has me very concerned. The trade deadline is tomorrow, linebacker is our biggest need.

His replacement is Batten and Moats, actually Merriman is fine too its that they are not being used properly. Having them line up in as 43 DEs IS NOT what they are good at, if they are going to do that they should use them in a wide 9 like Lions and Eagles do. Not saying we should always use that formation but its very effective at getting pressure on the QB. We need to scrap this Hybrid and really use our 34 players in a 34 and then we might actually have a good D. It aint the players because we have gone Defense the past two drafts which means this scheme sucks. We got a gunslinger in Chan now we need one on Defense (see my signature)