Moats and Sheppard ???

PDaDdy

If there's one thing you should have learned about Gailey/Nix by now, it's that they don't care where you were drafted or how long you've been around. The guy who puts them in the best position to win will play. Exhibit A -- not forcing Spiller into the games when Jackson is playing all-world. Exhibit B -- Dareus has been starting from day one. There are more examples.

I agree for the most part but in every organization to an extent there is the veteran rule. Down to college and even high school.

For instance Trent Edwards starting last season was a bit of the veteran rule in my opinion. Perhaps it might better be called the incumbent rule. I happen to like both RBs but Jackson as you mention took some time to unseat Lynch. If as some people think that Jackson is light years ahead of Lynch why did Lynch even start? It is not the only factor. Sometimes it's not even a large factor but it IS a factor.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it on another board and then went and listened myself to see if it was true, and it was. Drayton Florence on GR said the whole team prepared a lot for the game watching film, and Kelvin Shepard was on the field calling out the plays before the Eagles ran them.

It was his first substantial playing time in his career. That's pretty amazing. Already one of my favorite players.

Amazing, indeed! Didn't hear this. It shows a lot of confidence in the rookie. Confidence repayed. McShay said at the time of his draft selection, he'd be starting by mid-season -fwiw.

Funny, I was thinking about this today, that it won't be long (or at least I hope it won't) until we have the following 3-4:

Dareus - Williams - Carrington

Moats - Shep - Barnett - Merriman

I'm hoping to see that as well because it will mean that we drafted good guys that have developed and can contribute quickly to a statistically very poorly ranked defense from 2010. Our numbers aren't much better but as a whole I have more confidence in this defense and expect and hope for continued improvement every few weeks.

I saw it on another board and then went and listened myself to see if it was true, and it was. Drayton Florence on GR said the whole team prepared a lot for the game watching film, and Kelvin Shepard was on the field calling out the plays before the Eagles ran them.

It was his first substantial playing time in his career. That's pretty amazing. Already one of my favorite players.

Yeah, you could see it during several of the snaps he played… pre-snap he was turning around and yelling to his teammates and waving his arms and pointing.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The issue is more "why in the hell would the BILLS have Shep playing Spy when he's obviously overmatched for the job"?

Bad scheme, bad result.

Which Bills' LB wouldn't have been over-matched for that job?

As for Rubes' question as to whether Shep slipped, he did, which led him to be out of position.

As for Rubes' question as to whether Shep slipped, he did, which led him to be out of position.

That, and you don't play man coverage against Vick either which we were on that play so all of the DBs were trailing receivers and not looking into the backfield at all.

Ya man. The future looks bright for these two if they don't get boned by the "veteran" rule. It's early and it's one game but I definitely knew those guys were on the field Sunday. I hope they continue to make plays and get more playing time whether it means a "solid veteran" needs to get less.

Does anyone know who Sheppard replaced?

Wasn't it Andre Davis ??

Everyone looks a tad slow when Vick runs. But yes, I think he took a bad angle. BTW, did anyone see that terrible hold on Vicks 1st run? I can't remember who it was on, but the guy was holding either Wood's or Reinheart's jersey from behind. I mean..... literally! Refs are really missing holds this year.

someone was on the bills' sideline holding their jerseys? he should get back in the play.

add batten and you've got a trio of decent lb's

:thumbsup: Batten will be our Matthews.

Funny, I was thinking about this today, that it won't be long (or at least I hope it won't) until we have the following 3-4:

Dareus - Williams - Heard

Moats - Shep - Barnett - Batten

Much better now. Then Draft Courtney Upshaw 6'2" 270 from alabama to eventually replace Barnett.

All of them, which is why George Wilson spent so much of the first half playing that role. The question is more whether he was supposed to be that deep or if the defensive line was supposed to execute better gap control - they absolutely abandoned lane discipline, which is really what led to Sheppard looking like a Clydesdale chasing a greyhound.

It was a little unnerving that they changed from what was working, though it's not like I have coach's tape or overheads to look at.

Wasn't it Andre Davis ??

Yes.

All of them, which is why George Wilson spent so much of the first half playing that role. The question is more whether he was supposed to be that deep or if the defensive line was supposed to execute better gap control - they absolutely abandoned lane discipline, which is really what led to Sheppard looking like a Clydesdale chasing a greyhound.

I can excuse one busted (albeit it huge) play against the greatesst scrambling QB of all time. And again, Shep slipped and couldn't recover fast enough.

Speaking of which, that turf is incredibly slippery and I've seen lots of players slipping in every game. I don't know if that's how they all are when first installed, but I hope that improves in any case.

Yes. Gailey loves Davis though, so I doubt he is going to replace him anytime soon, barring injury, especially on first downs.

Gailey does love Davis, but a bunch of the veterans on the team including Davis have been pushing to get Sheppard on the field more.

http://wgr550.com/Davis-More-Than-Just-a-Linebacker-to-Bills/11159304