Herman Cain

At least he's bringing a simplier tax plan to the debate which is great. I heard this morning that could you imagine if someone was proposing what we currently have.

The 2012-2012 plan. A 2012 page plan for 2012. They'd be the laughing stock of the country. But that's what we have.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree Chef, I'm just a vetting mother!@#$er!

Oh no doubt. We can't just say. "Hey, he has something simpler than what we have now. Let's go with it." Any change has to be put under a microscope. Simpler doesn't alway mean better just as different doesn't always mean better.

At least he's bringing a simplier tax plan to the debate which is great. I heard this morning that could you imagine if someone was proposing what we currently have.

The 2012-2012 plan. A 2012 page plan for 2012. They'd be the laughing stock of the country. But that's what we have.

That's a great way to keep in perspective how much of a train wreck our tax code currently is

And here is Herman Cain's proverbial nail in the coffin.

Still, he seems oddly unaware of the terms of the debate. The question, after all, is not what Cain personally believes about abortion. The question is whether he would use the power of the federal government to impose that view on others. Doing so, of course, wouldn’t quite square with the small-government libertarianism that’s been his signature, and he hasn’t figured out how to finesse the contradiction.

That failure could signal the end of his brief stint as the darling of the Republican base. On Thursday, The Iowa Republican, whose slogan is “News for Republicans, by Republicans,” ran a piece headlined, “Do We Really Know Who Herman Cain Is?” “Basically, Cain’s position as a candidate is that of pro-abortion activists,” wrote Craig Robinson. “The government has no right to tell a woman what she can or cannot do with her body… Cain will likely clarify his position, but how many times and on how many different subjects will he be allowed to ask for a ‘do-over’ before he loses trust and credibility with voters?

There's some leeway for having ones' mind change on a subject over the course of time and/or given some dramatic change in events/facts. But when you're running a campaign to become president, from that moment you have to have a clear message, and it needs to go in one direction and stay in that direction with every word you speak. You need to be fully prepared and come into class with your homework done. That's why Romney's economic/tax plan had so many points, Herman. This stuff is nuanced and while it needs to be simpler, it will fail badly if it's simplistic (see: 9-9-9).

People are starting to see that Cain's soup isn't warm enough yet. If he can tune his policy ideas into ones that work, figure out his message and stick to it and isn't so dependent on short soundbites, he could be a major force in a subsequent primary. But considering his age, that may not happen.

And here is Herman Cain's proverbial nail in the coffin.

but how many times and on how many different subjects will he be allowed to ask for a ‘do-over’ before he loses trust and credibility with voters?”

What's wrong with that? It's worked for Obama so well the last 3+ years. Just look at how often this administration has pivoted to jobs or decided to focus on it like a laser

I hear quite a few people saying they like Herman Cain because he isn't a politician. If there's some inherent wickedness to being a politician, shouldn't we condemn Herman Cain for trying to become one? Indeed, isn't it only right to cast a vote for somebody who isn't running?

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

I hear quite a few people saying they like Herman Cain because he isn't a politician. If there's some inherent wickedness to being a politician, shouldn't we condemn Herman Cain for trying to become one? Indeed, isn't it only right to cast a vote for somebody who isn't running?

I did that last Pres election, when I voted none of the above. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Third Cain accuser emerges

Welcome to being vetted, Herman.

Did he expect that the two harassment settlements wouldn't come up or that saying they're false isn't making them go away? These things sometimes do settle out of court to save lawyer fees, but wow, if you have any inkling that you may one day run for public office this is the stevestojan that pops up and kills a campaign.

If you're going to do this thing, if there's anything in your past that's in the public record or that people can come out with some kind of documentation about, you need to reveal it yourself at the outset to any and all. Saying early on that there were two settlements that the Restaurant Assoc. made and trying to explain that they were unfounded, but that the company settled to avoid having to pay legal bills multiple times what the settlement was (if that's an accurate or plausible argument) would have at least bought him a little straightforwardness points. Hoping it's not discovered isn't a strategy for dealing with this stuff.

It's weird because in America, by and large, if you come right out and tell everyone that you like to screw tigers, they're OK with that. Sometimes, they revere it and you get a cult following. But get caught screwing tigers, and you're done.

I don't know if he's even touchable as a VP choice now, if he ever was. Sexual misconduct, even the whiff of impropriety, isn't something a politician (at least a GOP pol) usually survives. And, let's face it... it's not something a black GOP candidate can survive.

Frankly, if it is going to be Mitt, I'm a big fan of the job Susana Martinez is doing down in NM. Her record of lowering the unemployment rate by 2 points, cutting waste, going from a deficit to a surplus without raising taxes and fostering business growth/pushing to revise the state tax code highlight areas that Romney (believe it or not, all those who call him a RINO!) can point to as well... especially the bolded one as he took MA from $3B in the red to a $300M surplus while in office, also without raising taxes.

Edited by UConn James

So far this thing hasn't moved the polls, like the, supposedly, Rick Perry people thought it would.

I don't think it will last much longer. The media will be exposed, just like they are with OWS(you know you are really wrong if South Park deigns it necessary to make fun of you), as pushing a story that is Obama-friendly....and as soon as that becomes painfully obvious to even the dimmer people...this will pass like a bad fart.

So far this thing hasn't moved the polls, like the, supposedly, Rick Perry people thought it would.

I don't think it will last much longer. The media will be exposed, just like they are with OWS(you know you are really wrong if South Park deigns it necessary to make fun of you), as pushing a story that is Obama-friendly....and as soon as that becomes painfully obvious to even the dimmer people...this will pass like a bad fart.

Link

The poll showed the percentage of Republicans who view Cain favorably dropped 9 percentage points, to 57 percent from 66 percent a week ago.

Among all registered voters, Cain's favorability declined 5 percentage points, to 32 percent from 37 percent.

Or not

Personally, he lost all approval when he suggested that we create Destroyers to park off Iran. When asked if they would be attacked, he seemed eager for it. Bye Cain.

Could the Republicans please put up someone decent? !@#$, I guess I need to root for Newt.

Link

Or not

Personally, he lost all approval when he suggested that we create Destroyers to park off Iran. When asked if they would be attacked, he seemed eager for it. Bye Cain.

Could the Republicans please put up someone decent? !@#$, I guess I need to root for Newt.

You're serious? A reuter's poll? :lol:

I was talking about the only polls that matter, and are useful. And, not tracking polls. example: real polling on this...

Cain's share of the primary voters hasn't changed much at all, and that was as of a poll taken 2 days ago. Cain's approval rating isn't going to make people vote for Perry, or Romney....or Obama for that matter. Cain's favorables at 57%?

Ok...what are Obama's? :rolleyes:

Dude, you better not get your hopes up....for either the Republicans putting up someone you consider decent....or for Obama staying in office.

You're serious? A reuter's poll? :lol:

I was talking about the only polls that matter, and are useful. And, not tracking polls. example: real polling on this...

Cain's share of the primary voters hasn't changed much at all, and that was as of a poll taken 2 days ago. Cain's approval rating isn't going to make people vote for Perry, or Romney....or Obama for that matter. Cain's favorables at 57%?

Ok...what are Obama's? :rolleyes:

Dude, you better not get your hopes up....for either the Republicans putting up someone you consider decent....or for Obama staying in office.

I did not vote for Obama, and I want someone fiscally conservative.

I did not vote for Obama, and I want someone fiscally conservative.

I know.... and by a recent poll I just made up, but is certainly real, an overwhelming majority of people are claiming they did not vote for PBO...

:oops:

I've been saying for years: the desire to hold a public office should automatically disqualify someone from holding said office.

Just the stats:

Days as of 8 p.m. Eastern today since Politico broke the story - 7

Politico news stories about or mentioning “Herman Cain“: 138

Politico news stories about or mentioning “sexual harassment“: 91

Politico news stories about or mentioning “sexual harassment” not involving Herman Cain: 0

Politico news stories showing what Herman Cain actually did: 0

Politico news stories showing specifically what Herman Cain was accused of: 0

Percentage drop in Herman Cain favorability rating as reported by Politico: 9

Politico news stories about or mentioning “Solyndra“: 9

Politico news stories about or mentioning “Fast and Furious“: 3

Politico news stories about or mentioning “unemployment“: 17

Politico news stories about or mentioning “recession“: 14

Politico’s credibility self-destruction: Priceless