Bills @ Giants: National Game on CBS

Dorkington

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/10/10/bills-get-top-cbs-team-sunday/

After sprinting out to a 4-1 record the Bills are finally getting top billing on CBS this weekend in their road matchup with the Giants.

Phil Simms and Jim Nantz will be doing the Bills-Giants game at the Meadowlands Sunday. New York is 3-2 after their disappointing loss to Seattle at home Sunday, a game in which they committed five turnovers.

Hopefully the Redskins game doesn't black out the CBS game this weekend for me. :D

I think this is our first game this season where we will be the "national" game.

Hopefully the Redskins game doesn't black out the CBS game this weekend for me. :D

I think this is our first game this season where we will be the "national" game.

While I am excited to see the rise in the Bills' profile, I hope this appearance on national TV doesn't jinx us. (I know I am a nervous guy)

Hold your horses...this is not a "national" game, it's just the featured early game on CBS. And Fox has the 4:15 game, so that's pretty much why we're getting Jim Nance ("Hello Friends") and Simms. Look at www.the506.com later in the week for the game, or games, in your area. Or if you're like me, with DirecTV, it reall doesn't matter. :nana:

Edited by Ned Flanders

It should be fun because Phil Simms is a huge fan of Fitz. I've heard Simms gushing about him in two seperate games he's worked this season, including Jets-Pats yesterday. He also gave detailed comments to The Buffalo News before the season in an article discussing whether or not Fitz is a longterm solution or stopgap, and the amount of info Simms had on him led me to believe he's studied film on the Amish Rifle.

While I am excited to see the rise in the Bills' profile, I hope this appearance on national TV doesn't jinx us. (I know I am a nervous guy)

Yep, this is about when the 2008 4-1 team started to fall apart. An embarrassing collapse on the road in Miami in front of a big audience... I would worry about the jinx. With Easley, Parrish and now Jones out, and with Stevie at maybe 80%, who knows what the offense will do... Bills on National TV has meant disaster for many years...

And of course the Ravens will likely play at the same time and that will most probably usurp. Hey at least the DC-metro area got the Bills game last weekend on local FOX. :-)

Ravens game is at 4pm!

Do you know if they block out CBS games when the Redskins play on Fox? The Redskins/Eagles game is on Fox at 1pm.. that's what I'm nervous about.

Hold your horses...this is not a "national" game, it's just the featured early game on CBS. And Fox has the 4:15 game, so that's pretty much why we're getting Jim Nance ("Hello Friends") and Simms. Look at www.the506.com later in the week for the game, or games, in your area. Or if you're like me, with DirecTV, it reall doesn't matter. :nana:

Sorry, when a game is the top billed game, I call it the "national" game because it gets played in every market that isn't playing a local game, usually.

Ravens game is at 4pm!

Do you know if they block out CBS games when the Redskins play on Fox? The Redskins/Eagles game is on Fox at 1pm.. that's what I'm nervous about.

Usually, when the local team is playing at home, the other network's game at the same time is blacked out. Sad to say.

Thanks for the tip. Just flipped on the TV at 2pm yesterday and was pleasantly shocked to see the Eagles-Bills on local tv here in so-flo because the Dolphins had a bye week. I guess I can actually plan to watch Giants game this week as the stinkin' phins are on MNF.

And of course the Ravens will likely play at the same time and that will most probably usurp. Hey at least the DC-metro area got the Bills game last weekend on local FOX. :-)

Ravens game is at 4pm!

SHORT REPLY: Those of us in the typical Ravens market will NOT see a 1pm CBS game locally, so BUF@NYG WILL NOT BE TELEVISED.

EXPLANATION: This week (Week 6), FOX has the doubleheader, meaning that by contract, they will show a 1pm game AND a 4pm in all areas. So CBS, by contract, can only show ONE game that afternoon in any given market. If the local area coverage is the 4pm game, CBS won't show a 1pm game. CBS chooses to air either the early game OR late game depending on the market.

For instance, the last time FOX was awarded the doubleheader, in Week 3 (see http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/2011/wk3.html), you would only see one of the eight games listed under the Week 3 CBS map. Virginia Beach area apparently is in the Baltimore market, so for them, no 1pm game that week, so that CBS can show BAL@STL at 4pm.