What is Chad Kelly (Jim's nephew) hinting at?

Doc

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is true being a current owner then Mr. Pegula is the only possibility

Apparently not Pegula either though. Here's the series of Tweets that started this whole firestorm of rumors (this rules out Pegula, Jacobs, and Gillett... who else would have connections to Buffalo and/or would Jim know?):

@BuffaloRising

Buffalo Rising

A current NHL owner was at the Ralph yesterday with the Kelly family. And he reportedly met with Roger Goodell. More to come tomorrow. . .

@BuffaloRising

Buffalo Rising

@DeuxMontagnes @lobiancg @buffalothreads Not Jeremy Jacobs

@BuffaloRising

Buffalo Rising

@Tom_Elling NHL owner does not reference Terry Pegula. More details tomorrow. . .

If that is true being a current owner then Mr. Pegula is the only possibility

I don't think so. If I understand the rule correctly, the NFL prohibits owning a NFL team and a team in another league only if the city the other league team is in has an NFL team. This would make it possible for the owner of any of the Canadian NHL teams to also own the Bills. The owners of the Ducks and Blue Jackets may also be possible, although both of these teams have NFL teams close enough(Ducks would be the Chargers, Blue Jackets would be the Bengals and/or Browns)that the league might say that they are within that team's territory and disallow cross league ownership.Still, that's 7-9 NHL owners other than Pegula who could be allowed to purchase the Bills. Whether any of them can afford all or at least a controlling share of an NFL franchise, I am not sure.

I don't think so. If I understand the rule correctly, the NFL prohibits owning a NFL team and a team in another league only if the city the other league team is in has an NFL team. This would make it possible for the owner of any of the Canadian NHL teams to also own the Bills. The owners of the Ducks and Blue Jackets may also be possible, although both of these teams have NFL teams close enough(Ducks would be the Chargers, Blue Jackets would be the Bengals and/or Browns)that the league might say that they are within that team's territory and disallow cross league ownership.Still, that's 7-9 NHL owners other than Pegula who could be allowed to purchase the Bills. Whether any of them can afford all or at least a controlling share of an NFL franchise, I am not sure.

You can see the detailed cross-ownership policy (assuming it has not been significantly amended since 2006) as set forth in NFL Finance Committee resolution 1997 FC-3, which is attached to the 2006 version of the NFL Constitution & Bylaws at:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

The policy starts at page 174/292.

. . .

Be it Resolved, as follows:

1. . . . [among other things, defining "neutral area" as "any area that is not within the home territory of any NFL club"];

2. That the controlling owner of an NFL club may propose to sell his NFL ownership interest to an individual owner of a franchise in another major sports league, but only if (a) the other major sports league franchise is located within the home territory of the owner's NFL club or within a neutral territory . . .

6. That for purposes of this resolution the "home territories" described above shall include each home territory in which a club is currently playing (which, as of the date of this resolution, includes Houston), as well as the areas that would constitute the home territories of clubs playing in Cleveland, greater Los Angeles (including Orange County), Nashville, and Memphis.

Although it is not drafted with great clarity, it sounds to me like none of the cities listed in item #6 qualify as a "neutral area," because they are defined as being included in "home territories." So how many NHL cities does that leave as candidates for cross-ownership? Toronto and all other Canadian NHL cities would definitely be in - - LA, Orange County (Anaheim) and Nashville would be out.

Columbus?

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

You can see the detailed cross-ownership policy (assuming it has not been significantly amended since 2006) as set forth in NFL Finance Committee resolution 1997 FC-3, which is attached to the 2006 version of the NFL Constitution & Bylaws at:

Although it is not drafted with great clarity, it sounds to me like none of the cities listed in item #6 qualify as a "neutral area," because they are defined as being included in "home territories." So how many NHL cities does that leave as candidates for cross-ownership? Toronto and all other Canadian NHL cities would definitely be in - - LA, Orange County (Anaheim) and Nashville would be out.

Columbus?

2. That the controlling owner of an NFL club may propose to sell his NFL ownership interest to an individual owner of a franchise in another major sports league, but only if (a) the other major sports league franchise is located within the home territory of the owner's NFL club or within a neutral territory

Unless I am reading this wrong wouldn't Toronto be in then?

Larry Tanenbaum (the closest thin TO has to an owner from my understanding).

He has had a long-standing interest in the sports and entertainment area and to that end in 1991 he spearheaded the effort to bring a NBA franchise to Toronto. In 1996 an interest was acquired in the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey club and arena. In 1998 he was an active force in the acquisition of the Toronto Raptors basketball team and the Air Canada Centre, which, with the Toronto Maple Leafs, formed Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Limited. He is Chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Limited, and is a Governor of the NBA (Toronto Raptors), the NHL (Toronto Maple Leafs) and Major League Soccer (Toronto FC).

Kilmer also has significant investment in various sports-related entities, including Insight Sports Ltd, which is a leading sports media company involved in the creation, production and broadcasting, on all platforms, of sports and related lifestyle content. Insight Sports holds equity positions in several Canadian specialty television services including The NHL Network and Score Media and owns and/or operates the World Fishing Network (WFN) and Game TV. In 2003, through Plaza Gaming and Entertainment, Kilmer invested in the charitable gaming industry in Canada. Through its operations in Ontario and BC, Plaza's facilities raise over $20 million per year for local municipal charities.

Unless I am reading this wrong wouldn't Toronto be in then?

Larry Tanenbaum (the closest thin TO has to an owner from my understanding).

He has had a long-standing interest in the sports and entertainment area and to that end in 1991 he spearheaded the effort to bring a NBA franchise to Toronto. In 1996 an interest was acquired in the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey club and arena. In 1998 he was an active force in the acquisition of the Toronto Raptors basketball team and the Air Canada Centre, which, with the Toronto Maple Leafs, formed Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Limited. He is Chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Limited, and is a Governor of the NBA (Toronto Raptors), the NHL (Toronto Maple Leafs) and Major League Soccer (Toronto FC).

Kilmer also has significant investment in various sports-related entities, including Insight Sports Ltd, which is a leading sports media company involved in the creation, production and broadcasting, on all platforms, of sports and related lifestyle content. Insight Sports holds equity positions in several Canadian specialty television services including The NHL Network and Score Media and owns and/or operates the World Fishing Network (WFN) and Game TV. In 2003, through Plaza Gaming and Entertainment, Kilmer invested in the charitable gaming industry in Canada. Through its operations in Ontario and BC, Plaza's facilities raise over $20 million per year for local municipal charities.

Did my middle brother Darryl put you up to this?

Columbus?

I read this as meaning that LA/Anaheim and Nashville are in. It says that an owner of another major sports league team can only buy an NFL team if that team is in his home territory and home territory includes the home territories of Cleveland, LA/OC, Nashville, and Memphis.

Not that the owner of the Columbus Blue Jackets is in play but I doubt that it would be "home territory" for either Cleveland or Cincy, for the sake of argument. I dabble in NFL broadcasting as a minor hobby, and the506 dude says that it's not a secondary market for either of them (like Rochester is for Buffalo). We get Blue Jackets games up here in Cleveland but according to the map it's not vice versa for the Brownies.