Brett Favre disses Aaron Rodgers

papazoid

my comments in parenthesis...

Host: “Brett, talk a little bit as far as what was going through your mind when you saw Aaron Rodgers and the Packers go on their Super Bowl run last season.”

Favre: “I’m going to be quite honest, I was not surprised. The biggest surprise to me would be that he didn’t do it sooner. (diss) Because it’s funny how people forget over time, my last year in Green Bay prior to the first game, really at the start of training camp, I made the remark that this was probably the most talented team I’ve ever played on.(setting up the diss). And of course everyone kinda looked up and [was] like, ‘You know, this guy’s off his rocker.’ We were very, very young, aside from me. You take me out of the mix and we were by far the youngest team in the league. But I could see the talent pool across the board was outstanding. Now, our season kind of ended up being a reflection of that. We came close, and I think we took a lot of people by surprise, but we were — you know, guys emerged rather quickly. Aaron had a chance, you know, even though the last couple years it’s seemed like he’s almost a rookie, he’s been around for a while. And I’d like to think that, you know, he watched, he learned,(you know, from me the master) and then when he got a chance to play, he brought in his, you know, his ability which obviously is very good or they wouldn’t have drafted him in the first round. He’s got tremendous talent, he’s very bright, and he got a chance to sit and watch and he saw a successful team do it right. And so he just kind of fell into a good situation.(diss) On top of that, he’s a good player. ( just good?..try best in the league) I don’t think anyone would question now the talent around him is even better than when I was there.(diss) So I’m really surprised that it just kind of took him so long. And really, the early part of last year season, again it’s surprising to me ’cause I’m like, you know, it just hadn’t quite — it hadn’t clicked yet and I didn’t know if it would. Last year, I just figured when they hit their stride, they’re going to be hard to beat. And that’s what happened.”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822d4b40/article/favre-only-surprised-rodgers-didnt-win-super-bowl-sooner?module=HP11_headline_stack

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/05/atlanta-radio-station-bends-over-backward-for-brett/

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how exactly is that a diss?

I read it as Brett was saying that Rodgers has been gifted with a really talented team and so that explains why he's been able to win a Super Bowl faster than Brett did, and is in position to win many more.

I read it as Brett downplaying Aaron's achievements as being "in the right place at the right time."

FACT - Aaron Rodgers is a better QB that Brett Favre. Suck it "Gunslinger".

Wow, farve has his faults for sure, but this thread is just stupid. Calling the guy talented and a guy who plays in a good situation on a talented team is not badmouthing him. Perhaps fare should have said the packers were terrible prior to rodgers arrival and that every player in the NFL is not fit to carry his jock... Would that have made you happy? I swear some people.

I think it's part poor word choice, and part Favre's ego, which won't let him be completely complimentary.

The fact is that Favre isn't even in the same league as Rodgers. If Rodgers plays for 50 years too, I'm sure he'd set similar records. But in terms of pocket presence, intelligence, mobility, throwing accuracy, command of the offense, clutch play, etc.--all factors favor Rodgers.

How many great Packers' seasons did Favre ruin by throwing horrendous interceptions?

Wow, farve has his faults for sure, but this thread is just stupid.

The fact is that Favre isn't even in the same league as Rodgers. If Rodgers plays for 50 years too, I'm sure he'd set similar records. But in terms of pocket presence, intelligence, mobility, throwing accuracy, command of the offense, clutch play, etc.--all factors favor Rodgers.

It just got stupider.

I heard it on the radio this morning and when you actually hear Brett Favre say what he did it's obvious he meant everything that he said about Rogers as a compliment.

Edited by Stl Bills

You must be from Bflo!! You're trying much too hard to see the negative here. Is it the perfect most effusive praise anyone could receive? No. But he was answering a question and in general, he's saying the talent on the team may be the best he's seen and he's surprised it took this long to gel, but once it did, they were the best. The ONLY way to look at it - is as a compliment to Aaron & the Packers Team.

It just got stupider.

Really? You think when all is said and done that Rodgers won't be considered a better QB than Brett?

It's called damning him with faint praise.

Favre is a dooosh. Always has been, always will be. Most overrated QB ever.

This.

If the team was so talented and so close to "winning it all", why did Brett choose to retire? And saying Aaron fell into a great team. He led a team that was missing so much of their starting line-up to injuries.

Really? You think when all is said and done that Rodgers won't be considered a better QB than Brett?

This.

If the team was so talented and so close to "winning it all", why did Brett choose to retire? And saying Aaron fell into a great team. He led a team that was missing so much of their starting line-up to injuries.

Rodgers is very good but Farve was amazing. He was a 3 time MVP and had arguably his best season at age 39. The league is much more QB friendly than it was for most of Farve's career. Teams are passing and scoring at record numbers. You aren't allowed to breath on or touch the QB/ receiver. Rodgers is on track but he still has a ways to go to match BF's career.

There's a difference between being considered better and "not in the same league."

Edited by Carey Bender

Rodgers is very good but Farve was amazing. He was a 3 time MVP and had arguably his best season at age 39. The league is much more QB friendly than it was for most of Farve's career. Teams are passing and scoring at record numbers. You aren't allowed to breath on or touch the QB/ receiver. Rodgers is on track but he still has a ways to go to match BF's career.

Favre is like a rich man's Tony Romo. It's a miracle he even won one Super Bowl with his style of play.

Even in his greatest, most mistake-free year--2009--he threw a horrendous pick in the NFC Championship late in the game that lost it for the Vikes.

Favre is like a rich man's Tony Romo. It's a miracle he even won one Super Bowl with his style of play.

Even in his greatest, most mistake-free year--2009--he threw a horrendous pick in the NFC Championship late in the game that lost it for the Vikes.

3 MVPs. He's reckless but he was amazing. And the 2009 NFC Championship game shouldn't have even gotten to overtime if the Vike didn't fumble 4 times. They killed the Saints in the regulation but Peterson couldn't hang onto the ball.

There's a difference between being considered better and "not in the same league."

HAHA yes and doing it for over ten years is incredibly hard to do. If rodgers falls off or gets hurt in the next two year he will just be anoter QB that had a few great years in the league.

Seems like back-handed compliments, but praise nonetheless.

I wonder if Favre wouldn't mind riding off into the sunset, but the media just won't let him.. Are there not enough new behind the scenes stories to report, or is Brett just being used by lazy reporters as a can't miss sound bite?