At the seasons quarter mark....let's be honest...

All of the sensationalism and Bill’s fever after the first three weeks was fun, but when you look at it, I believe more of it was fueled by how we got to a 3-0 start, (exciting come from behind wins against two teams), and not the fact we were 3-0. If you go back to the midpoint of last year, the Bills could have won how many games against good playoff teams – (see loses to KC, Baltimore, New England and Pittsburgh). So we start out this year winning 2 similar type games we had lost last year and all of the sudden the national spotlight is on Buffalo that we somehow figured it out. Well guess what, we just got a couple of bounces that we did not get in those loses and ended up with the “W’s”. In yesterday’s game – we did not get the bounces and lost.

I am not a “doomsayer” but really believe, come Devils Night (aka Oct 30th), this team will be sub .500 and exactly what we thought in August – headed in the right direction, but simply missing a few key ingredients to be something special over the long haul. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see the football God’s have more bounce in the Bills favor than not, but when you go into battle with talent that arguably would not start for many other NFL teams, you some up short time and again. Average or sub – McKelvin, Spiller, all receivers not named Stevie, Kelsey, Chambers, Merriman, they’ve gotten national recognition, but on the coattails of good fortune and not being special). The nice development on the offseason, the realization that Fitzpatrick belongs, Darius will be a great Pro, and the O-Line is much improved. Now don’t go crying out that I left Freddie off – if you were a Bills fan, you knew going in that he belongs n the NFL.

Understand, this is not a response to the Bills lose yesterday, in fact, it would read the same had they won – Yin and Yang are just evening out from last year…

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could say this about every team in the NFL except maybe the Pats and PAckers.

Perhaps - but the really great one's staffed with all pro talent have a way of playing a couple of extra games at the end of the year, where the average one's, (read last years KC, St Louis, Seattle, etc), will miss the playoffs as the reality gets back into focus. I am saying the Bills are more akin with those teams than belong with the Superbowl contenders....

Only time will tell. Right now it would seem that our defense it awful and may need to be blown up schematically. The way we play now, the worst of the worst can score all over us. No way we can count on maintaining the level of offense we've had. Cinci took it too us all day long and Cinci sucks. We have found a "way" to win though with what we have. So I don't mean to be so negative. I think we are a pretty good football team if healthy. We have depth problems though, and we basically don't know what the hell we're doing on defense AGAIN. The worst of the worst can abuse our defense. It's scary.

if the Pats would have run the ball after getting up by 21 they prob win that game but they insisted on throwing

funny thing though, look what they did a lot of yesterday

its a passing league but you still run to win

"Faith" may be the appropriate descriptor as Bills fandom has somewhat a religious quality about it as opposed to that based in proven science if you will.

Faith is the perfect term. Some might define it as belief in that not yet seen. Every Sunday I have 'faith' they will will. I then wait for the proof. Some weeks I feel more convicted but there is no way to 'prove' your feeling about the team unless it is all done retrospectively.

Personally, I saw the Bills physically and schematically dominate during large sections of three football games, and then come out flat in the 2nd half versus Cincinnati, and let a Bengals team punch them right in the mouth on both lines.

There are problems: we still can't cover TEs, and we have some issues in the secondary. However, I wouldn't exactly say the Bills have been fortunate, they've been winning 1x1 battles a lot of the time that in past years they would have lost the entire game, and as a result they've got some good wins.

Stating the obvious,

We beat a bad team on the road in KC.

We came from behind to beat a up and coming Raiders team at home.

We came from behind to beat a playoff team at home.

We lost a lead to a better than thought team on the road in Cinn.

We are 3-1 instead of 0-4. All the games so far we have been competitive. I Say Good For Us! Bring on the Eagles! :thumbsup:

I think 99% of this board would have gladly accepted a 3-1 record at the season's quarter mark, including a win over the Pats*.

Yesterday wasn't the end of the world. Buffalo is still in first place in the AFC East and undefeated in the division.

Perhaps - but the really great one's staffed with all pro talent have a way of playing a couple of extra games at the end of the year, where the average one's, (read last years KC, St Louis, Seattle, etc), will miss the playoffs as the reality gets back into focus. I am saying the Bills are more akin with those teams than belong with the Superbowl contenders....

As a friend of mine back in HS used to say all the time "No **** Sherlock". I'm an optimist but not delusional (Superbowl), it's a team moving in the right direction but needs more talent on both sides of the ball. Until yesterday, they've been really fun to watch. It's also been nice to be noticed again...that's really all I wanted or expected this year.

We'll see what Chan is really all about as far as coaching is concerned this week against Philly. If we come away with a W, I say that the Cincy burp was just that, a burp, and loss of focus. If we lose at home, I'll start listening to the alarm bells more.

With the shape of the Jets we clearly have an opportunity here to nseak into the playoffs, let's not screw it up.

Tim-