Dear NFL ..........................................

did you see any evidence that the ball was dropped, or that it hit the ground without SJ having control?

Nobody did, no body in this world did. If you have eyes you saw a catch.....there is nothing that could have instigated the original call or the review that somehow agreed. Insane, that is all.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you regarding the so called incomplete pass to SJ. It was one call (an important one, and also the wrong call) but nonetheless it was one call. A team should overcome one bad call. My problem with the officiating was more focused towards what the refs didn't call- holding penalties on the bengals o-line, or their dbs for hanging on our receivers arms. No wonder our pass rush is so ineffective :wallbash:

so the porous defense and uninspired offensive play are not responsible for this loss? you're being way too easy on the players that actually play the game.

blaming the refs for any loss is a cop-out, particularly one in which the losing team had ample opportunity to win.

Exactly.. the Bills, as ****ty as they played, still had ample opportunity to win the game, it was that close. So, in games that close, wouldn't it stand to reason that a huge blown call that gives the ball to your opponent when it should've been yours and you're up 7 and into Cincy territory with the clock running under 8 minutes could determine the game? I mean, come on

Agreed... it was a bad call, no doubt, but it shouldn't have come down to that. We needed to take care of business when the Bengals scored on their final 2 drives and couldn't get it done.

Agreed truely, our O and D didn't come to play. Weak game on our side, but that absolute impossible call changed the momentum like nothing else. It was the dagger. I can't look past our bad play, because that call was so bad.

Today's officiating crew....

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/55213/CIN_Gamebook.pdf

Officials

Referee: Steratore, Gene (114)

Line Judge: Marinucci, Ron (107)

Head Linesman: Mackie, Wayne (106)

Field Judge: Waggoner, Bob (25)

Umpire: Schuster, Bill (129)

Side Judge: Weatherford, Mike (116)

Back Judge: Paganelli, Dino (105)

Replay Official: Weidner, Paul

From Gene Steratore's Wiki page...

Steratore was involved in a controversial instant replay call during Week 1 of the 2010 NFL season between the Detroit Lions and the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field in Chicago. Late in the fourth quarter, Lions receiver Calvin Johnson caught what was originally ruled as the winning touchdown for Detroit. However, Steratore reviewed the play and overturned the call to an incomplete pass, ruling that Johnson lost control of the ball while going to the ground before he "completed the process of completing the catch". The rule applied in this situation states, "If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone." Discussions to repeal this controversial rule will be made in the off-season.

The jackass who overruled the line judge from 20 yards away was the side judge.

So I believe it was Mike Weatherford who will be getting an uncomfortable call from the league offices.

Today's officiating crew....

http://www.nfl.com/l...IN_Gamebook.pdf

Officials

Referee: Steratore, Gene (114)

Line Judge: Marinucci, Ron (107)

Head Linesman: Mackie, Wayne (106)

Field Judge: Waggoner, Bob (25)

Umpire: Schuster, Bill (129)

Side Judge: Weatherford, Mike (116)

Back Judge: Paganelli, Dino (105)

Replay Official: Weidner, Paul

From Gene Steratore's Wiki page...

I agree with you regarding the so called incomplete pass to SJ. It was one call (an important one, and also the wrong call) but nonetheless it was one call. A team should overcome one bad call. My problem with the officiating was more focused towards what the refs didn't call- holding penalties on the bengals o-line, or their dbs for hanging on our receivers arms. No wonder our pass rush is so ineffective :wallbash:

i agree however every team can say that they were being held all game

there was NO conclusive evidence to prove that it WASN'T an incomplete catch.

:huh:

Bullspit...And I understand the rules, and the burden of proof in this case...But when does common sense come in?

There was all kinds of evidence that it was a good catch...He caught it clean, that much is clear...His knee was down when he was contacted, that was clear...He has clear control of the ball when he goes down, that is clear...His hand is underneath the ball while securing it when he goes to the ground, that is clear...There is a split second when the camera angles may lose the ball, but when Stevie comes up the ball is in the EXACT same position in his hand and clearly in his possession...The ball has to come lose for it to be incomplete...And the ball can touch the ground as long as Stevie has control of it, which he clearly did...There is ZERO evidence of the ball coming lose...zero, none, notta...The fact that this back-judge saw something that pretty clearly did not happen makes no difference, that's why we freaking have replay...And the replay showed, from what I could tell at least, that it was a good catch...It was a bone-job all the way around...B-)

Everyone is saying the refs cost us the game. I am just as upset about the blown stevie j. call as anyone. But the fact of the matter is if the Bills deserve to be in the playoffs they will be. Teams don't just get "lucky" to make the playoffs. So let's stop whining about the refs because we had plenty of chances to win that game and we didn't win because we didn't deserve to.

A little luck happens to help (even the best) but you can't count on it. I watched luck carry Atlanta to 13-3 last year. The Clements fumble, the roddy white no call interference, the Garrett Hartley shanked 30 yarder.... It's nice not to rely on that though.

Apparently, that replay was "conclusive"

great point !

they sucked again -they have sucked every week. If you have the ticket you watch other games and they are brutal there too. I'm not sure what the problem is. On the Johnson catch- okay you thought you saw ball...go to the replay- and you screw it up anyway. I don't understand it- replay in general the Syracuse missed extra point how does that happen ? Today the Bengals held like crazy all game, there were pass interference calls all over. Did it cost my team the win ? Yes the Johnson catch did- moving the ball up 7 likely to get 3 up 10 with about 5 minutes to go. But the zebra's stepped in- not even his call mind you. Yes if he see's something he can step in but you better be damn sure to over rule from there. Just a poor effort from the guys in stripes, if your team played well or not It shouldn't affect their effort. That always comes from an official - of which I'm one - who sucks week after week.

Edited by CardinalScotts

I understand what you guys are saying about not being in a situation where one call can cost you the game. But here's the thing. It was a 3 point margin of victory, and that one call very likely changed the final outcome. Beyond that, it's not like we played a terrible game and lost due to a bad call. We played a solid game all the way around, as did the Bengals, and we needed the correct call for a hard fought, tough victory. I feel like that call was garbage and it absolutely was the difference between a winning effort and a losing effort.

If the call had been correct, the Bills are most likely 4-0. That's a major blown call and should not be overlooked at all.

1) We played like crap and deserved to lose. That said, lots of teams deserve to lose/get manhandled and still win.

2) If that call is correct, and it wasn't even difficult, we win. I'm fairly certain.

3) Teams absolutely back their ass into the playoffs it happens every year.

4) One call absolutely can make a change to who wins.

5) "Lucky" teams make the playoffs every year. Some of them win a game once their there as well.

For one thing, that Steve Johnson "incompletion" was not the only bad call of the game. Our d-line was getting mugged all game long and not once was a holding penalty called (this was clear as day).

There were some other blatantly calls but I won't get into them. I understand that we don't want to sound like cry babies and sore losers by pointing to bad calls as the reason for losing games. But the officiating was very poor and that can't be ignored. All I'll say is I just hope people remember this if we get a win later in the year in which we benefit from poor officiating. And of course, I know the refs weren't the ones who couldn't cover AJ Green and missed wide open receivers.

1) We played like crap and deserved to lose. That said, lots of teams deserve to lose/get manhandled and still win.

2) If that call is correct, and it wasn't even difficult, we win. I'm fairly certain.

3) Teams absolutely back their ass into the playoffs it happens every year.

4) One call absolutely can make a change to who wins.

5) "Lucky" teams make the playoffs every year. Some of them win a game once their there as well.

#2 I think we had momentum at that point and would came off the field with some points. That terrible "incompletion" call stopped a very orchestrated drive that was eating up time and yards. Its a shame....

Exactly.. the Bills, as ****ty as they played, still had ample opportunity to win the game, it was that close. So, in games that close, wouldn't it stand to reason that a huge blown call that gives the ball to your opponent when it should've been yours and you're up 7 and into Cincy territory with the clock running under 8 minutes could determine the game? I mean, come on

As you said....exactly. Bad performance beside, we witnessed the worse game changing obvious bad call ever.

As you said....exactly. Bad performance beside, we witnessed the worse game changing obvious bad call ever.

That wasn't even the 'worst game changing obvious bad call' in Bills history, much less ever.

(Not saying it wasn't a horrible call. Just sayin' the Bills have been party to worse.)

1. Tuck Rule = asinine. It's either a forward motion (pass attempt) or not...Black and white...end of discussion. Tuck rule...beyond stupid.

2. Bills Tackling was poor...The Bengals rotating D Line over powered our O line...I haven't noticed Merriman since the pre-season.

3. The Incomplete pass call to Stevie Johnson was as bad as the tuck call....It almost looked like the Refs were trying as hard as possible to keep the Bungles in the game.

4. Our corners make big plays but need to learn to turn around at the end of pass play....You know that part after 3-4 seconds when most plays end and the WR's pupils get big....yeah..then.

5. We would all take 3-1 at this juncture if you asked earlier....I think 9-7...10-6 is still reachable if the Bills tackle & block better going forward.