Dear NFL ..........................................

Why is this so hard?

If the refs ruled it a catch, the Bills probably would've won.

If the Bills played better, the Bills probably would've won.

Both the Bills and the refs sucked.

I can agree on that for sure, but the idea that the refs DIDN'T cost us a chance to win and it was only our D is ludicrous.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[*]Great teams, even superbowl winners, over the course of a season, come away with one or two games that everyone agrees they didn't deserve....they win them ugly, by the skin of their teeth...and sometimes there's luck involved.

[*]Many teams we consider to be great, could have had games, seasons, playoff clinches and history changed drastically with a momentum destroying call that decided a game. A game that their fans would call ugly, their defense flopped, offense was flat....but they pulled it together and their QB stepped up or their D came up with a stop/turnover. One bad call...could equal a total 180.

OUR "great team" was most-definitely on the way to doing so driving with the lead. They played ugly but still found a way to be positioned for the win late in the game. That one play and subsequent horrific call took that away.

Yes we played ugly, the D was awful but I think fans have every reason to be pissed about the call. We were about to do "just enough" for the win....and if you don't think that "just enough" got many great teams through a game or two in a season, think again. This was our total stinker game that we were going to pull out by the skin of our teeth and go home 4-0.

I hope we do what's necessary to not put ourselves in that position for Philly.

the Bills managed a season-low 12 first downs. they got into an opponents' territory a season-low three times, after doing that a combined 22 in previous three games. they would've scored 13 points if not for Florence's interception. they punted eight times. their defense has allowed 450 yards in three straight games for only the second time in team history according to STATS LLC.

so i see where the officials are ultimately to blame.

the call was a curious one, i agree. i don't think it proved anywhere near decisive. good teams rebound from adversity. the Bills overcame their own mistakes in previous two weeks. how anyone can chalk this loss up to the officials really wasn't watching.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

can we get an official explanation as to why the play to SJ was called incomplete on the field?

Also, can we get official clarification as to what an offensive hold is?

Great job today, zebras. They were just as bad as the Bills' D.

Correction if I am not mistaken it was called a catch on the field, THEN called an incompletion on the field and then challenged and denied. That is a HUGE issue. If the catch was ruled a catch then "indisputeable" proof would be needed to rule it an incompletion instead of the other way around.

Little late to the party here but the refs boned us big time. The Stevie non catch, Merriman gets mugged every play, a bunch of non pass interference calls BUT we didn't do enough to win the game. The offense was out of synch all day and the defense couldn't make stops when they needed to. That said we're 3-1 and still atop the division. One loss does not make a season, although you wouldn't know it by listening to some of the people around here. I am confident in Gailey's ability to make adjustments for next week against a Philly team that is on the ropes already. It sucks to lose, but I'm over it and excited for next week. And the weather is supposed to be BEAUTIFUL again Sunday. If the forecast holds, this is will be the most gorgeous set of home games weatherwise I can remember.

the Bills managed a season-low 12 first downs. they got into an opponents' territory a season-low three times, after doing that a combined 22 in previous three games. they would've scored 13 points if not for Florence's interception. they punted eight times. their defense has allowed 450 yards in three straight games for only the second time in team history according to STATS LLC.

so i see where the officials are ultimately to blame.

the call was a curious one, i agree. i don't think it proved anywhere near decisive. good teams rebound from adversity. the Bills overcame their own mistakes in previous two weeks. how anyone can chalk this loss up to the officials really wasn't watching.

jw

Perhaps the 3 missed interference calls on what would have been big gainers, the erased Stevie Johnson first down yardage catch in Bengals territory late in the game and then g*d d#mn Tom Brady tuck rule had something to do with it. Just sayin'! It looked like Dalton might have completed the "tuck" before he lost the ball which is a fumble but that one is not worth arguing.

If it was a "forward pass attempt" how about an ineligible WR call or grounding? If the ball its an offensive line man or there is no eligible WR in the area those are penalties too.

Should it have come down to that? NO. But we still got jobbed by the zebras HARD Sunday.

Just watched the replay. Holy **** was that back judge really old & blind. Cincy's LB blatantly held Freddy's arm for 10 yds on that out route. Ref was right !@#$ing there! Wow. He either had money on the game or is too old to do his job correctly. Lbs do this when they get beat. Take the penalty and don't give up the TD.

I hope the guys watch the replay like I did and get pissed off. Let it fuel them for a few weeks.

Edited by r00tabaga

jw

This conclusion is incorrect- we would have had a first down at the Bills 49, and 16 yards later would have been in field goal range (the previous drive we marched down 75 yards for a FG). That is 16 yards we were denied in obtaining due to a bad call, and it denied us being in a position to at LEAST go into overtime. I do not understand this denial over this call.. how could it NOT affect the outcome of the game? It wasn't a NORMAL play, but a BLOWN CALL.

Edited by BmoreBills

Tha catch WAS a catch, but because they couldn't see what the ref (who made the call) saw, they had to say it was inconclusive.

The Tuck call was brutal - accurate, but a dumb rule.

The 3rd down dive by Dalton was under 2 minutes. marvin Lewis wanted a review - but can't throw the flag. Since when do they stop the game to check ball placement? This was a new one to me - never saw this before.

However, up by 7, if Stevie gets a completion, we get another set of downs and the following:

** at the very least - Cincy does NOT have time to drive for 10 points. Maybe they tie, but then we go to OT.; or

** we continue to drive and score 3 or 7, probably putting the game out of reach.

The side judge ruled it a completion and the back judge overruled him. We may never know why.

I am hoping this becomes a blessing in disguise. A pre-emptive "before we get too big for our britches"-loss.

heading out to buy stock in dairy products. lots a spilt milk out there.

jw

This game of course was lost because of our defense not stopping the Patriots and our offense not scoring enough points:

http://www.footballdb.com/boxscore/1998112907

Going out to buy some stock in Terra Nitrogen... more belief in fertilizer these days.

Edited by BmoreBills

I can agree on that for sure, but the idea that the refs DIDN'T cost us a chance to win and it was only our D is ludicrous.

That call didn't take points off the board, despite your strange insistence otherwise. In fact, after that call, the Bills were still ahead by a TD with 8:28 to go. All they had to do is score on their next drive or, failing that, simply stop Cincy from scoring on either of their next TWO scoring drives.

The refs can't cost them a chance to win when they were still winning after that call, genius.

That call didn't take points off the board, despite your strange insistence otherwise. In fact, after that call, the Bills were still ahead by a TD with 8:28 to go. All they had to do is score on their next drive or, failing that, simply stop Cincy from scoring on either of their next TWO scoring drives.

The refs can't cost them a chance to win when they were still winning after that call, genius.

Yes they can, genius.... momentum stopped and we lost our opportunity to get insurance points. Put your crayons back in their box and move along.

Edited by BmoreBills

why is it the refs are bad only when the Bills lose on this board?

i'm sensing a trend.

jw

well put. we agree again, twice in one year. i'm starting to worry. ... :rolleyes:

jw

why is it the refs are bad only when the Bills lose on this board?

i'm sensing a trend.

jw

The refs are bad because the VIDEO EVIDENCE substantiated that it was a catch, but was ruled as 'play stands as called', which was a blown call.

This isn't a gray area play or a 'maybe' play, it was black and white, clear as crystal. The denial of it is bizarre and disturbing.

This game of course was lost because of our defense not stopping the Patriots and our offense not scoring enough points:

http://www.footballdb.com/boxscore/1998112907

Going out to buy some stock in Terra Nitrogen... more belief in fertilizer these days.

well, it's been evident your supply is running low. 0:)

jw

(couldn't resist)

well, it's been evident your supply is running low. 0:)

jw

(couldn't resist)

You are confusing borderline calls and routine calls that would go against the Bills with calls that are blatantly wrong. That was my point in bringing up the game from 1998...

The refs are bad because the VIDEO EVIDENCE substantiated that it was a catch, but was ruled as 'play stands as called', which was a blown call.

This isn't a gray area play or a 'maybe' play, it was black and white, clear as crystal. The denial of it is bizarre and disturbing.

forget about the replay - why was it called incomplete on the field?

which official called it, and how far away from the play was he?