Do the bills have the best O-line in the NFL?

I'm still worried about the depth. We had one and only one guy who seemed like he'd be a good backup (Reinhard) and he's now in our starting lineup. I saw Hairston have one really nice looking preseason game, but I hesitate to call a 4th round rookie decent depth. He's much closer to a we keep our fingers crossed kind of guy. High upside, but just as low of a downside.

Injuries could derail our OLine in a hurry. Even just one (more).

Mark,

We have seen a little more then that from Hairston....he was in nearly the entire 4th quarter against the Chiefs starters which means he was facing Tamba Hali. While he had a holding penalty there was no drop off in play from Bell to Hairston.....I think Hairston is a keeper I really do.

Then you have Rhinhardt who seems to be interchangable with Urbik to me.....the only area of concern I have is center....we appear to have ONE center on the team.

We actually have a starting offensive line AND depth.....

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't have close to the top line in the NFL, but...

1] They have been playing terrific as a unit.

2] They have been extremely well disciplined with very few penalties. Very well coached and well prepared.

3] There have been very few if any just blown plays and assignments where DL or LB come crashing through unabated. That is truly remarkable for three games.

4] Freddy has been helping them out tremendously in the passing game.

5] Fitz reads defenses faster than most QBs read jersey numbers, and he gets the ball off immediately, that cannot be over-estimated. But they are holding opponents off for those two seconds, which also cannot be over-estimated.

6] The run blocking has steadily improved. last week they were consistently opening holes, something we have not seen since, well, I can't remember the last time.

7] The scheme that Gailey is running is giving teams fitz trying to keep up with all the weapons, formations and quick strikes. The LBs are having to think more, the oppoents are having to use 5-6 DBs all the time, etc, which stops teams from flooding the line. It's been a thing of beauty through three games.

I think the BILLS have the best scheme and execution through the first 3 weeks. The OLine is certainly a part of that.

I no longer fear them imploding. In fact, I have extreme confidence in them in short yardage situations (the glaring exception is Chandler, who is 50/50 on handling his blocking responsibility). That's quite a departure from the past.

The thing I fear about Chandler (that I haven't seen anyone mention) is everytime he catches the ball in traffic, he's so tall & lanky thar it looks like the ball is going be striooed away every time. To his credit, it hasn't happened :thumbsup: and hopefully never will :thumbsup: but I don't remember thinking that way with Metzelaars.

The thing I fear about Chandler (that I haven't seen anyone mention) is everytime he catches the ball in traffic, he's so tall & lanky thar it looks like the ball is going be striooed away every time. To his credit, it hasn't happened :thumbsup: and hopefully never will :thumbsup: but I don't remember thinking that way with Metzelaars.

Chandler must have tremendously strong hands. That one play two weeks ago where he (IMO, stupidly) tried to leap and dive into the endzone but got helicoptered, he also got blasted and yet still hung onto the ball. I couldn't believe he didn't fumble on that hit.

2] They have been extremely well disciplined with very few penalties. Very well coached and well prepared.

3] There have been very few if any just blown plays and assignments where DL or LB come crashing through unabated. That is truly remarkable for three games.

5] Fitz reads defenses faster than most QBs read jersey numbers, and he gets the ball off immediately, that cannot be over-estimated. But they are holding opponents off for those two seconds, which also cannot be over-estimated.

6] The run blocking has steadily improved. last week they were consistently opening holes, something we have not seen since, well, I can't remember the last time.

7] The scheme that Gailey is running is giving teams fitz trying to keep up with all the weapons, formations and quick strikes. The LBs are having to think more, the oppoents are having to use 5-6 DBs all the time, etc, which stops teams from flooding the line. It's been a thing of beauty through three games.

Based on these observations, I would put them easily in the top 5. How do you measure a superior line? Well, the above is an excellent indicator. None of the starters are the tops at their position but it is the way they are working together along with the scheme that makes their whole greater than the sum of their parts. Cliche city but true.

I think the great transformation for the O-line was moving Wood to center and replacing his guard position with a bull. I thought the O-line would be better this year because of the improvement in the middle--the Bills did not play well against physical D-lines last year.

Agreed. I don't miss Hangartner's "Sonic the Hedgehog" impression against the bigger NTs. Wood is a huge improvement. Dude is nasty.

Much like....the patriots wouldnt you say?

Ok, so then all seem to agree we're pretty good but nowhere near the best. Well, who's better, and exactly how are you basing your opinion on it? What measurments are you using?

So who's better?

Tim-

If they continue to play like this for the entire season then yes, you would have to say they are one of the better lines in the NFL. Not having penalties or sacks for three games is great, for 13 more games it's HIGHLY unlikely. When Brady goes back to throw he gets a lawn chair out. Fitz has two seconds and immediately HAS to get the ball out.

Believe me, I'm loving the play of the OL. If they continue this play, they will be a bigger surprise than Fitz and Freddy, and as big a surprise as the team as a whole. If not the major reason for the turnaround.

If they continue to play like this for the entire season then yes, you would have to say they are one of the better lines in the NFL. Not having penalties or sacks for three games is great, for 13 more games it's HIGHLY unlikely. When Brady goes back to throw he gets a lawn chair out. Fitz has two seconds and immediately HAS to get the ball out.

Believe me, I'm loving the play of the OL. If they continue this play, they will be a bigger surprise than Fitz and Freddy, and as big a surprise as the team as a whole. If not the major reason for the turnaround.

Agreed, and I took great pains to say that "thus far" the O-Line is pretty damn good by all measurements, to which they are. I like the Brady lawn chari analogy though, so true.. :)

Tim-

no we don't but there certainly better then the bottom of the barrel that we thought they were.

Absolutely. I have been impressed that the O line is actually as good as it is considering the banter before the season started. But let's not fool ourselves, we can improve. :thumbsup:

ok, it is now officially time to stop getting carried away. Let's enjoy this but not go crazy.

According to these statistics, which look pretty sound and logical, our offensive line ranks 1st in pass protection and 8th in run blocking. Another statistic I really liked to see is that our line has had 88% success in "power situations" (i.e., 3rd and short, goalline, etc...) which is good for second best in the league.

Our offensive line is good, pretty darn good. We have pretty much dominated two of the better defensive lines in the league. We may not be the best, but I think it's pretty safe to say we're in the top 5.

My link

They are better than many, including me, have said but it is still way too early in the season to be declaring they are "the best." Let's see iff they turn Freddy loose in one of those "weather" games taht will undoubtably hit the Ralph and let's see if they keep the bearded one healthy all season. Keep in mind, depth is also very thin so injuries could turn the situation overnight.

There is so much praise going to Fitzy and Steve and Jackson and they deserve it but Fitzy is the least sacked QB in the League! he has been sacked 1 time in three games with throwing 111 times. The next closest is Jason Campbell with 2 sacks and he has only thrown 82 passes. even Brady has been sacked 3 times. Teams also knew that we were going to be passing in two of the games because of the amount we were trailing by.

Hi, are you 12 years old? do you know how to look past or into the stats beyond the most obvious conclusion?

They are an average O=line but Fitz is extremely quick at getting rid of the ball. He knows the open receiver before the ball is snapped most of the time, had it been edwards we would be 0-3 now having scored maybe 1 td and 3 fg's with 10 sacks and 5 picks.

they are not "good" they are not bad either like they looked whenever edwards was back there holding the ball way too long. They have always been average, at least the three who have been around for a few years now.

Edited by loserlovers

I don't know why anyone is so shocked. They were an average line last year and Bell, Wood and Levitre have had another year to grow. Aside from a couple shaky preseason performances, there was no reason to think they wouldn't be at least average again. Yes they are exceeding expectations, but they were already decent. Anyone who was saying otherwise was a lot like these people who have 8 bumper stickers declaring Obama the worst president of all-time, but couldn't tell you one reason they think he's a poor president.

Go directly to PPP, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Hi, are you 12 years old? do you know how to look past or into the stats beyond the most obvious conclusion?

They are an average O=line but Fitz is extremely quick at getting rid of the ball. He knows the open receiver before the ball is snapped most of the time, had it been edwards we would be 0-3 now having scored maybe 1 td and 3 fg's with 10 sacks and 5 picks.

they are not "good" they are not bad either like they looked whenever edwards was back there holding the ball way too long. They have always been average, at least the three who have been around for a few years now.

No I'm not 12

Scheme or no scheme the bills have given up 1 sack and have opened holes for Freddy enough to let him be 4th in the league in rushing

Are you even a bills fan?

No, stats do not tell the whole tale, but you asserting that the o-line's success is entirely attributable to the offensive scheme is just as narrow minded. Do you watch the games? Yes, Fitz gets rid of the ball quickly, and that is by design. If you look closely, however, you would notice that Fitz COULD have much more time to sit in the pocket if he really needed to. Opposing defensive lines have barely even got close enough to get a sniff of Fitz (besides some hits after the ball has been released). Also, have you noticed the improvement our offensive line has made in the run blocking department? I know you don't want to draw "obvious conclusions" but there are stats to support this as well.

BTW...there is a way to argue your point without chiding other posters, and rudely asking them if they are 12 years old. Grow up.

No the Bills do not have the best O-line. We are not close to having the best O-line. What we do have is a QB and a scheme that is predicated on getting the ball out so quickly that the line almost doesn't have a chance to fail as long as they don't get pre-snap penalties.

The running game is a different story in that the O-line has a much greater impact in my opinion compared to the passing game. That being said the threat of the pass, the play calling and the scheme are also helping out quite a bit.

Good start for them but let's not get carried away!

+1

No, stats do not tell the whole tale, but you asserting that the o-line's success is entirely attributable to the offensive scheme is just as narrow minded. Do you watch the games? Yes, Fitz gets rid of the ball quickly, and that is by design. If you look closely, however, you would notice that Fitz COULD have much more time to sit in the pocket if he really needed to. Opposing defensive lines have barely even got close enough to get a sniff of Fitz (besides some hits after the ball has been released). Also, have you noticed the improvement our offensive line has made in the run blocking department? I know you don't want to draw "obvious conclusions" but there are stats to support this as well.

BTW...there is a way to argue your point without chiding other posters, and rudely asking them if they are 12 years old. Grow up.

They sometimes don't blitz because they know the ball is going to come out quick.