My Meaningless Opinion

R. Rich

Can you Billieve it?!!! Wow! The Buffalo Bills not only gut out a tough win in a game that started off horrendously for 'em, but they did it against the team that had beaten' 'em 15 consecutive times: the New England Patriots!! This team is showin' a lotta heart so far this season. I sure hope it continues.

I watched the game @ Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon VA w/ a bunch of rabid Bills fans (the owner is originally from Buffalo and shows all Bills and Sabres games there), including the daughter and son in-law of my good friend William (Bill from NYC). There were a group of us who actually held hands while Lindell made the game-winning kick. It was awesome!

Oh yeah; sorry for missin' Game 2. I forgot to tivo the game, so I couldn't do the kinda review of the game that I like to. No such problem this time, so on to the game....

Ryan Fitzpatrick had a very good game. Yeah, yeah, he threw for well over 300 yards and a pair of scores, but he also made some very big throws while minimizin' the harmful ones. The 29 yarder to Donald Jones @ the 3:25 mark of the fourth quarter, just after Tom Brady made that game tyin' TD throw to Wes Welker on fourth down, showed the kinda heart I mentioned earlier I see outta this team, but also the type of steely resolve you love to have in your QB. That feelin' of "don't worry, I got this", so to speak. There were plenty of other great throws, such as his 33 yarder to Steve Johnson @ the 9:45 mark of the first quarter, a beauty of a throw to David Nelson @ the 4:56 mark of the first quarter when he faced the rush, stepped up in the pocket, and delivered a nice strike, and that great 11 yard TD to Johnson @ the 2:00 mark of the second quarter, where he put the ball right on target in the corner of the end zone. There were a few miscues: a pass thrown a bit too high (but still catchable) to Jones @ the 8:58 mark of the first quarter, the throw @ the 0:22 mark of the first quarter where he threw into tight coverage in the middle of the field and was intercepted by Kyle Arrington, and a horrible decision to throw in the end zone that was picked off @ the 10:52 mark of the fourth quarter (he was bailed out by a pass interference call on that one). Still, those pale in comparison to the many big throws he had in this one. Is Fitzpatrick a long term solution @ QB? I have said no in the past. Maybe this game was his way of tellin' me to STFU. The jury is still out though, but havin' such a performance in a game of this magnitude for the Bills goes a LONG way toward convincin' me that he's not just a stopgap QB 'til the Bills find their long term solution. Props to you for a great showin' when you needed to be great.

Speakin' of big plays, what 'bout Fred Jackson? Man, this guy can do damage! He definitely had plenty of help from his offensive line (more later), but he also made tough runs and big plays aside from that. His 11 yard run @ the 10:07 mark of the second quarter was helped by some good blocking, but also by a nifty cutback move Jackson made to find open field. Same w/ his 21 yarder @ the 5:21 mark of the second quarter and his 27 yard reception on a well called screen play @ the 0:35 mark of the second quarter. And, how sweet was his 18 yard run @ the 11:11 mark of the third quarter, especially when he shook safety Sergio Brown and kept on goin' or the blitz pickup he had @ the 11:24 mark of the fourth quarter on a play that went for 48 yards? Nice. But yeah, the 28 yard screen play @ the 2:00 mark of the fourth quarter was as cluth as anything! What a huge play @ a critical time!! C.J. Spiller got a few shots, but mainly did his work on special teams. Corey McIntire had a nice lead block on Jackson's fourth quarter 1 yard TD dive.

Cannot say enough good things 'bout the job this young group of receivers did. Steve Johnson made some very big plays, like his aforementioned TD grab (great inside fake on CB Devin McCourty to get 'em to bite and then beat 'em to the corner of the end zone) and a great third down conversion @ the 3:28 mark of the first quarter. There was a noticeable drop he had @ the 4:45 mark of the third quarter on a 2nd and 10 play, but overall, he was consistent and reliable. How did David Nelson follow up bein' the hero of the win over the Raidahs? He made the nice catch I mentioned @ the 4:56 mark of the first quarter, made another great catch @ the 4:08 mark of the second quarter for 15 yards, and had a nice run after the catch play @ the 2:55 mark of the first quarter that went for 26 yards. Nelson also made a nice chip block of DE Andre Carter on Jackson's 18 yard run @ the 11:11 mark of the third quarter. Donald Jones, who I saw havin' some issues w/ consistency in the opener vs Kansas City, made some very nice plays in this one. He had a nice comeback route for 7 yards @ the 9:04 mark of the second quarter, made a nice third down conversin w/ an 8 yrd catch @ the 0:45 mark of the second quarter, and was the target on two key plays late in the game: the 48 yard completion @ the 11:24 mark of the fourth quarter and the 29 yarder @ the 3:25 mark of the fourth quarter. Scott Chandler, another bright spot of the early part of the season, made some nice blocks (nice one on Carter @ the 5:21 mark of the second quarter on a 21 yard run by Jackson) and nice catches (7 yard catch for a first down @ the 5:33 mark of the first quarter, 3 yard TD catch @ the 9:38 mark of the third quarter). He did miss a block on LB Jerod Mayo @ the 10:07 mark of the second quarter, but the rest of the line did their job on that play and Jackson still got 11 yards.

Okay, we're three games into the season and it has to be said: Demetrius Bell has been havin' a heck of a season! Not only has he gotten it done in pass protection (as the line as a whole has), but his run blocking has really been a welcome surprise. He had a nice block on Carter @ the 6:01 mark of the first quarter on a 7 yard Jackson run and teamed w/ Andy Levitre on a trio of plays that were impressive: Jackson's 21 yard run @ the 5:21 mark of the second quarter (nice double team on NT Vince Wilfork), a 6 yard Jackson run to start the third quarter (15:00 mark), and the 18 yard Jackson run @ the 11:11 mark of the third quarter (both Bell and Levitre blocked down on Wilfork). Levitre has been havin' quite a year, too. On that last play I mentioned, in addition to the double teaming of Wilfork w/ Bell, Levitre also got to the second level and took out Mayo. He took Mayo out on Jackson's 7 yard run @ the 6:01 mark of the first quarter as well, and had a nice double team on Wilfork (again w/ Bell) @ the 10:07 markof the second quarter on an 11 yard run by Jackson. Chad Rinehart had a nice block on DT Kyle Love on that same 11 yard Jackson run, teamed w/ Eric Wood to take DE Shaun Ellis out on Jackson's 18 yard run @ the 11:11 mark of the third quarter and also looked good gettin' out in front on screen passes. Wood had some issues w/ penalties (chop block @ the 1:30 mark of the first quarter and holding @ the 9:33 mark of the second quarter), but made all the line calls and also showed nimble footwork to get out on those screen passes. Erik Pears held off Ellis on the 11 yard Jackson run @ the 10:07 mark of the second quarter, sealed off LB Rob Ninkovich on the 18 yard Jackson run @ the 11:11 mark of the third quarter, and was solid in pass protection, as were the rest of the line. It was a very strong showin' for these guys.

The defensive line didn't generate a ton of heat via the pass rush, but a lot of that has to do w/ the quick release of Brady. They did have their moments. Marcell Dareus was able to get a good rush right @ the start of the second quarter (15:00 mark) and get his hand up on a pass that ended up being broken up. On the very next play (14:56 mark), Kyle Williams was able to break through and get to Brady just as he released the ball on an incomplete pass. Dareus was also in on a couple other plays that stopped Brady pass attempts: @ the 8:24 mark of the fourth quarter, he got a good push into the backfield and allowed Chris Kelsay to get in right behind 'em and knock the pass down. He also was key to one of the biggest plays of the game, Drayton Florence's INT for a TD @ the 10:32 mark of the fourth quarter, as he bulled his way into the backfield enough to deflect the pass w/ his helmet enough to where Florence was able to grab it out the air and race untouched for the score. In terms of stuffin' the run, there was one play in particluar that stood out to me. Alex Carrington had a beautiful stop @ the 3:20 mark of the third quarter when he beat his blocker, got into the backfield, and stopped WR Julian Edelman for a 3 yard loss. There were some bad run plays too, but not many. On back to back plays (9:33 and 9:03 mark of the fourth quarter), I saw Dwan Edwards and Carrington get knocked off the ball, allowing RB Stevan Ridley to get big gains (first for 16 yards, second for 6 yards). The next play after those was the one I mentioned earlier where Dareus was brought back in and Kelsay got the knockdown. While they didn't rack up impressive stats, these guys helped to make the Pats one dimensional. They did their job.

The linebackers had some success w/ run support, but little in pass rushing. Shawne Merriman did have one nice rush (6:42 mark of the second quarter) where he nearly came up w/ the sack on Brady and forced an incomplete pass. I did see 'em get neutralized by LT Matt Light (14:20 mark of the first quarter) on a Brady pass to Welker that went for 11 yards and he was stuffed @ the line of scrimmage (7:33 mark of the second quarter) on another Brady pass to Welker for 17 yards. He had a couple of nice plays vs the run: one (11:40 mark of the second quarter) where he set the edge and forced RB Danny Woodhead back inside on a play that gained only a yard and another where he took on the lead block (4:22 mark of the fourth quarter) on a second and goal run by RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis @ the 1 that was stuffed for a yard loss. Chris Kelsay did some good things in rushing the passer (beat RT Nate Solder off the edge @ the 15:00 mark of the second quarter, his previously mentioned pass knockdown, pressure of Brady to force incompletion @ 13:27 mark of third quarter) and in run support (was there to help stop Green-Ellis run for a yard after pressure by Kyle Williams @ 10:52 mark of first quarter), but he also needs to do a better job of droppin' back in pass coverage (way too shallow depth @ 6:38 mark of the second quarter on 21 yard catch by TE Rob Gronkowski). Nick Barnett was caught in a bad mismatch late in the game on Welker's TD catch (3:33 mark of fourth quarter) and caught a bad penalty late in the first half (1:56 mark of second quarter) w/ the roughness call against Woodhead, but he and Andra Davis also had a nice stuff of a short Green-Ellis run @ the 6:44 mark of the first quarter.

I thought this was the secondary's rough go of the early season, but considering how prolific the Pats' offense has been, they did pretty well. I, for one, have been impressed by the improvement in the tackling overall and by Jairus Byrd in particular. Obviously, they've paid attention to this and worked on it. There were a few bad plays though. Drayton Florence's goin' for Welker's inside move on his first TD catch (9:51 mark of the first quarter) was bad, but havin' Gronkowski covered by three guys on that play (George Wilson, w/ help from Bryan Scott while Byrd gave deep help), leaving Welker alone w/ Florence, was a bad move. Byrd also was outmatched on the goal line play (6:06 mark of the first quarter) where Gronkowski got off the line clean (?????) and Byrd trailed the play too far to make a play on the ball. Speaking of Scott, he missed a shoestring tackle of Woodhead (1:25 mark of the second quarter) on a 10 yard gain, but he made up for it big time a few plays later (1:09 mark of the second quarter), when he made the interception in spectacular fashion, stoppin' the Pats as they were in the red zone. Wilson got in on the action, too, w/ his great interception @ the 11:38 mark of the fourth quarter, a pivotal play. It also was good to see, as he had been beat on that route several times earlier by Gronkowski, so he undercut it and made the pick. There were nice pass breakups by Byrd (15:00 mark of the fourth quarter) and Reggie Corner (14:55 mark of the fourth quarter). Leodis McKelvin made a beautiful pick (13:27 mark of the third quarter) on Brady's first pass attempt of the quarter, which was his first attempt since Scott's INT in the first half as well. McKelvin also had a nice tackle on a 3rd and 4 play (5:30 mark of the third quarter), stopping Woodhead short of the first down and forcin' a FG.

Special teams did okay. The coverage units had some really nice stops: Da'Norris Searcy made a nice open field tackle @ the 9:34 mark of the third quarter and Arthur Moats did the same @ the 10:36 mark of the fourth quarter. Now, I did see my buddy William takin' Spiller to task for his fair catch @ the 5 yard line (14:51 mark of the fourth quarter). I think it should be noted here that there were two Patriots defenders (WR Matthew Slater and DB Ross Ventrone) who were ready in position BEHIND Spiller. So, if he chooses to let the punt go, there's a very good chance that one of 'em scoops it up even closer than the 5. Can't really fault Spiller that time. Of course, props to Lindell for the game winner! Imagine, there was a time when he simply wasn't good enough for many on TBD. I like to call that the "Nuge Hysteria Era". May it never rear its ugly head again.

As for coaching, there were some mismatches that the Bills seemed to have trouble figurin' out (Barnett coverin' Welker in a goal to go situation?), but man, did they do a great overall job. Think of this: they had the ball late in the first half lookin' to score w/ THREE timeouts available to 'em and had TWO available on that last drive of the game. Really? The Bills bein' good clock managers? Wow. Also, props to Gailey for figurin' out that the Pats had NO answer for the screen pass and for Fred Jackson in particular. That last pass to Jackson, where he was split wide, then came underneath as Steve Johnson went wide was sheer genius, and the Pats had no clue as to what to do w/ it. Excellent job!

And so, the Bills are 3-0 and in first place in the East. Gotta love it! Of course, the by-product of this is now you have the media fawnin' all over 'em. Ugh! Sorry, but I am not one of those fans who needs the "love" from those guys. I want to see my team win the championship, and I realize this "fake love" comes w/ that. Now, I also realize that this was a big win, but there is plenty more work to be done. This team isn't perfect; they still need to defend the tight ends better, they still need to do a better job defending the outside running plays, and they still need a pass rush. BUT, these guys play w/ such heart (imagine that!!!) that you gotta love their chances. Fitzpatrick didn't get overwhelmed in that last drive; he just calmly hit Donald Jones for a big play and later hit Jackson twice to get in Lindell's range. Pure heart! It's been a long time since I've seen this outta the Bills, and I'll savor it as long as we have it. Enjoy this (hey, WE FINALLY BEAT THE PATRIOTS!!!), but re-focus and move on to the task @ hand: a win over Cincinnati. I'll probably miss it, as I'll be w/ my wife on a cruise that sets sail that day (and returns the day of the game vs the Iggles), but I will be tivo'ing it and I will check it out as soon as I can. So, when I get back, I'll have double duty. But, it's a labor of love and one I look forward to.

Very well thought out post.

Thank you.

But.......

http://thecovertwo.com/2011/09/power-rankings-week-four/

7. Buffalo Bills (3-0): An undefeated team seventh in the rankings? Sunday was the Bills’ Super Bowl.

"Sunday was the Bills Super Bowl" was just what I was thinking at the conclusion of the game this past Sunday. Simply because it was the New England Patriots that we beat. The Sunday game and its outcome was similar to the Bills first game of 2003 when we whipped the Patriots 31-0. When that game ended many Bills fans thought that that game was our Super Bowl - that we shot the wad in the first game of the season. Fans were going crazy after that game but the season kind tanked after that.

I remember that 2003 victory and it's lasting implications VERY well.

Nice work on the coaching analysis. People reveal themselves in small ways when theyre starting to get nervous. To me when belli tried to ice Lindell at the end of the 1st half on a kick that wasn't particularly long, it told me he realized chan had figured them out and was going to make adjustments and exploit mismatches in the 2nd half NE may not have an answer for. It was a subtle sign of desperation already not the move of a confident coach.

I really enjoyed your post. I would invite you to rethink the INT called back for PI in the endzone. I cannot speak for the angle on TV, but that throw went right in front of my seats and I saw the whole thing develop. I really liked the throw and would love Fitz to make that throw every time. The reason being is that he had an open Nelson in the EZ. Nelson was running to the back pylon and Fitz motioned him to move toward the front of the EZ and then made the throw. Had the 6'5" Nelson not gotten interfered with he would have had a very good chance of coming down with that ball for a TD. He would have had excellent position on that ball because he was coming back toward it versus laterally to it (the DB who caught the ball was in the middle of the field). Because he was coming back to the ball and his size advantage he would have been able to catch the ball at the highest point. I personally believe that Nelson makes that play. As I said, I would invite Fitz to make that play every time in the same/similar situation.

I really enjoyed your post. I would invite you to rethink the INT called back for PI in the endzone. I cannot speak for the angle on TV, but that throw went right in front of my seats and I saw the whole thing develop. I really liked the throw and would love Fitz to make that throw every time. The reason being is that he had an open Nelson in the EZ. Nelson was running to the back pylon and Fitz motioned him to move toward the front of the EZ and then made the throw. Had the 6'5" Nelson not gotten interfered with he would have had a very good chance of coming down with that ball for a TD. He would have had excellent position on that ball because he was coming back toward it versus laterally to it (the DB who caught the ball was in the middle of the field). Because he was coming back to the ball and his size advantage he would have been able to catch the ball at the highest point. I personally believe that Nelson makes that play. As I said, I would invite Fitz to make that play every time in the same/similar situation.

Interesting take on this CK, being that you had a great view of it. I wondered how it developed on the back end, because at first it looked like such a horrible decision that it didn't seem plausible that Fitz threw it there. Fitz is a gunslinger, but it looked like there was no chance there. However, on TV you could see Fitz scramble and motion to Nelson. Then on the replay you could see Nelson get grabbed and held in that back corner while the safety came over and made the pick. Glad it worked out the way it did, but it's also reassuring that from the perspective you had, being at the game, that it wasn't a horrible decision by Fitz.

Also, last by certainly not least, thank you for posting this Rich! Very well written and in depth per usual. Enjoy your trip with the Mrs. and stay safe on the high seas, my friend.

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons

tl;dr

Your loss bro.

and a horrible decision to throw in the end zone that was picked off @ the 10:52 mark of the fourth quarter (he was bailed out by a pass interference call on that one).

I think Fitz may have felt certain that he witnessed a penalty against the Pats and just signaled for everyone to go deep for a free ball. They got lucky on that one.

Good analysis Rich. The only thing I have to question is how can you even doubt anymore that we finally got our franchise qb. Fitz is no flash in the pan. They have an article in the news today saying Fitz last 16 games his stats are: 59% completion/$3,841 yards/32 tds/18 ints. If that is not franchise numbers I do not know what are.

I think Promo mentioned this last year. Hypothetical, if the Bills drafted Bradford last year & he put up Fitz kind of numbers we would not question him being a franchise qb. So why is Fitz held to a different standard?

Very well thought out post.

Thank you.

But.......

"Sunday was the Bills Super Bowl" was just what I was thinking at the conclusion of the game this past Sunday. Simply because it was the New England Patriots that we beat. The Sunday game and its outcome was similar to the Bills first game of 2003 when we whipped the Patriots 31-0. When that game ended many Bills fans thought that that game was our Super Bowl - that we shot the wad in the first game of the season. Fans were going crazy after that game but the season kind tanked after that.

I remember that 2003 victory and it's lasting implications VERY well.

Turns out that last Sunday WAS the Bills Super Bowl. Was I prescient, or what?

You're taking so much joy from a disappointing Bills loss that now you're bringing up old threads to celebrate how awesome you think you are?

I cannot imagine what kind of person you are ........

I bookmarked it last Sunday because I KNEW that it would be likely that it would come in handy today!

OK?

The next time you stick your finger into the face of disappointed Bills fans to celebrate how awesome you are, will be the last.

You're taking so much joy from a disappointing Bills loss that now you're bringing up old threads to celebrate how awesome you think you are?

I cannot imagine what kind of person you are ........

Believe me, I'm not alone. I know of several fellow Bills fans (here in Syracuse) that didn't have their heads lost in the clouds the last three weeks.

Again, look to the 2003 season!

GO BILLS!

Prescient? Probably not - every now and then, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.

You do have other traits that come to mind, though decorum prevents me from enumerating them.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

18 and 1 baby!!!!! B-)

Er, that would be "or what".

Last Sunday was a hard-fought game against the Pats which went down to the last seconds, we got some breaks during the game, and we won.

This Sunday was a hard-fought game against the league's #3 defense with two hot young rookies which went down to the last seconds, some breaks went against us during the game, and we lost.

Do you claim prescience when the sun rises each morning? Geez Wheeze.