"We expect to win every game"

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Before the season started Chan Gailey said something to the effect of "We expect to win every game" which some people took to mean he thought they'd go undefeated. And they jumped all over him for it.

I don't think Chan meant they expected to go 16-0. But I do think they are confident that every week they put together a game plan and have the players who prepare well enough and are talented enough and they play together well enough to expect to win that next game.

If you listen to the players, they've been saying this all season too. "We expect to win". The players really have grabbed on to that quote, almost as if they've got Chan's back for saying it and not being afraid to put it out there. The dynamic between this team and this coach really is something I have not seen since Marv.

If you do not expect to win you should not be playing. When a coach looks at the 16 game schedule they will say they cannot winn all sixteen ... BUT if you ask them if they can win the next game they will say yes - they expect to win that game. It is not about winning a 16 game block rather it about winning 16 individual games.

That is one thing that Chan brought in from the start: the "winning" attitude. You definitely see that in the player's interviews. They expect to win each game. You can't go into a game and think "well, lets keep this close" or "I think we're going to lose today." If you want to win, you need to plan to win.

Not only have we been drafting guys who played in college football's most elite conference (SEC), we're drafting guys who played crucial roles on teams that WON in the SEC. And on teams that WON on the national stage as well.

This even includes David Nelson.

We're building a team of WINNERS.

Trent Edwards was a LOSER. His college record showed it, his professional record showed it.

Side point: Andy Dalton was a collegiate WINNER. He's on a crappy team now and he's not good enough (yet) to lead them back to prominence, but watch out for this guy. He wins. Period. We're going to snap him around like a rag doll this weekend. All the nonsense threads about how we have no pass rush will be replaced by a bunch of nonsense OUR PASS RUSH IS INSTOPPABLE threads this time next week because for the first time we're facing an offense that has serious crumble issues when put in harms-way, and for the first time this season we're going to blitz the crap out our opponent. But that's irrelevant to this thread and to my point.

Winners win. We're getting winners, and damn it, they win.

Before the season started Chan Gailey said something to the effect of "We expect to win every game" which some people took to mean he thought they'd go undefeated. And they jumped all over him for it.

I don't think Chan meant they expected to go 16-0. But I do think they are confident that every week they put together a game plan and have the players who prepare well enough and are talented enough and they play together well enough to expect to win that next game.

If you listen to the players, they've been saying this all season too. "We expect to win". The players really have grabbed on to that quote, almost as if they've got Chan's back for saying it and not being afraid to put it out there. The dynamic between this team and this coach really is something I have not seen since Marv.

I am pretty sure it is the WGR guys that were all over him for this......they sure seem to be changing their tune now.

I can't find the original post, but I think it was the cynics in the media who jumped all over Gailey for saying that. Most of the posters responding said it was a refreshing change from Jauron's gloomy outlook.

Yes, it was the usual two media morons that got a week's worth of Gailey-bashing shows out of Chan's positive outlook, with the whiny one from the Buffalo Snooze along for the laughs.

Not a listener, myself, but I'd guess they're back to doing shows about milk-in-bags.

BTW - with only one or two exceptions, TSW was largely supportive of Chan...

Link - Gailey expects to win and expects to make the playoffs

Link - Gailey: "I expect to be undefeated"

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

I listened to a ton of interviews after the game and yesterday. At some point, a player or reporter mentioned something like "Chan Gailey told the team before the game that the New England Patriots had a chance to win the game on Sunday in our house." It may have been Drayton Florence on GR, I'm not sure. Anyone else hear that or remember where it came from?

And, to think people on this board ripped Gailey for saying that ... people in the media thought he was crazy ... and here we sit at 3-0 with a team that knows it can come back from almost any deficit and win.

Folks, we have ourselves an "ELITE" NFL head coach. I can't think of any other coach I'd want along the Bills' sideline in a game (Ok, there might be a certain someone in New England but I really wouldn't want him as ours even though he is the best of the coaches.)!

He is molding his type of team and it is paying off. It will be interesting to see what he can do on the D side but right now all I can say to those who have been lamenting not getting some retired guy or tv commentator you were soooooo wrong!

I think this whole debate is a bit silly. What else is the guy supposed to say?

Does anyone really believe that he expects to go 16-0? I highly doubt it.

But you have to go into every game expecting to win with the reality being that you are not always going to.

Just expecting to win is not the reason they are winning. Believing they can win and then putting a plan in place to put your players in a position and being able to take that onto the field and executing it are the reasons they are winning.

Chan has done hell of a lot better job than I expected him to. He has taken a roster that does not have great talent and he has made them believe they can compete with the leagues best teams and then he has shown them how to do it.

Very impressive.

There is, simply, no rhyme or reason for this statement. This is a professional sports franchise, of course they expect to win every game. If they didn't, there would be no room on the squad for them. You don't go into a game thinking "maybe," or "we might not win this week, but..." There is no discussion here, move on...

Edited by Armchair GM

Agreed. I think it was an overaccessed statement. Chan should expect to win every game. It starts with the top down. This is Chan Gailey's Team. He's doing a great job preparing the team and building confidence in our players. So far seems to be a great choice for HC.

I'll take "I expect to win" over "it's hard to win in the nfl" everytime. Chan still has a bit of Jauron's leftover loser mentality to iron out but he's almost there.

I used to hate Jauron for speaking like that... Total loser way of thinking... Chan is definitely Sun Tzu as far as the Art of War mentality... Defeating your opponent before u even face them mentality... Maybe I'm overreacting as far as teams being afraid of us (that's just the fan in me) But either way expecting to win is definitely the only way to think in this league