Is it possible the Merriman issue is a smokescreen

I just had a thought that borders on tinfoil hat territory. Hear me out and tell me if I'm nuts.

Our first two games are against teams that are run freaking crazy. We line Merriman up as a DE and he plays most of the snaps in both games with his hand on the ground. He clearly was told to set the edge and I didn't even see him try to rush Campbell. The one time we absolutely need a sack was on the last play of the Raiders game. The guy beats a double team and if it wasn't for a blatant holding penalty(he was basically tackled in the backfield) he would of had a sack for sure.

In the preseason Merriman is virtually unblockable. Now all of a sudden we're being told that he's not ready to play a full game. That he's still trying to get to game shape, that he needs more time and a slower pace.

Is it possible that this entire situation is nothing more than a carefully orchestrated charade? Is it possible that Merriman has been playing possum? I've got to believe Gailey had this game circled on his calendar. Could this be an instance of brilliant gamesmanship?

I just had a thought that borders on tinfoil hat territory. Hear me out and tell me if I'm nuts.

Our first two games are against teams that are run freaking crazy. We line Merriman up as a DE and he plays most of the snaps in both games with his hand on the ground. He clearly was told to set the edge and I didn't even see him try to rush Campbell. The one time we absolutely need a sack was on the last play of the Raiders game. The guy beats a double team and if it wasn't for a blatant holding penalty(he was basically tackled in the backfield) he would of had a sack for sure.

In the preseason Merriman is virtually unblockable. Now all of a sudden we're being told that he's not ready to play a full game. That he's still trying to get to game shape, that he needs more time and a slower pace.

Is it possible that this entire situation is nothing more than a carefully orchestrated charade? Is it possible that Merriman has been playing possum? I've got to believe Gailey had this game circled on his calendar. Could this be an instance of brilliant gamesmanship?

you're nuts! :devil:

Actually, there were a few plays the Bills were going to go after Campbell, but the Raiders called screen, and Bills got burned at least 3 times on 3rd and long. I think you are somewhat right in that his job was mainly to hold the edge. The D strategy will be turned upside down this week--stop Brady.

I don't know if your nut's with this theory, but I will say that the gameplan should change because of the passing of the pats. They can't hold anything back with this one (obviously), the kitchen sink needs to be tossed in just for good measure. Merriman was horsecollared a couple times the whole game that I noticed, I started wondering if its a legal way to block now.

The edge will still be an issue with the Pats* they are not bad at running the ball either. Also they line up 2 TEs so if they are running they have 7 linemen. Actually the Bills have been looking sort of similar but from different alinements (WR in a backfield slot, 3 receivers on one side)on some running plays.

False flag operations in football...interesting.

Not saying Chan isn't a bright coach, but to really execute an operation like this...where you keep Merriman and scheme in reserve because of a specific game, is a lot of risk most coaches would hate to take in games that count.

I don't think it's a smokescreen. I do think Merriman got some pressure against Campbell a few times that forced quicker throws. But what I think the most is that across the board, in both games, they told him and the others to just contain rush on most plays. Worry about the draws and screens to the guys (Charles and McFadden) that can kill us. Make the two average QBs with suspect receiving corps beat you with their arms. It worked with Cassel. Campbell happened to throw a ton of good passes to guys who sometimes made circus catches.

I dunno if you're nuts… I was kind of thinking the same thing. Not so much as a charade but more in-line with not turning him loose in the first 2 weeks. I believe (or maybe it's just "hope") that the Bills will have a strong pass rush game-planned for Brady and that SM will figure quite prominently in that scheme.

one can only hope

I don't know about all of this other stuff, but the guy is playing hurt. He is not showing up on the injury report, but he is playing with this flack jacket looking piece under his jersey that is below the shoulder on the left side, and rises up and wraps around the top of his right shoulder. This is the same arm that he hurt in the KC game on like the second play, when he game out holding his right arm like he'd been shot in it.

I sat behind the Bills bench on Sunday, 14 rows up and watched him come out at least twice during the game, where they pulled of his jersey and adjusted the thing. They were also wrapping that same arm right above the top of the bicep and just below the shoulder.

Now I realize these guys all play hurt, but I really believe that he is not 100% or near it, and that he could even be playing with a slightly separated shoulder or even an injured bicep. If that is the case, I am sure he is not going to be as effective. I watched him on many plays where he seemed to be protecting himself, if even just a little bit.

LBJ killed Kennedy

Here's some insanity for you...they played him in a position that he was most likely to help the Bills inw the game they were currently playing. What is with this board and that idea that beating the Pats somehow adds more Ws to column than any other team in the league?

Here's the TRULY brilliant part of the plan - the Bills have actually tanked the last 15 games - that's 8 seasons, lulling New England into a false sense of security. That, my friend, is a monument to self restraint and dedication to laying the trap properly. We almost sprung the trap too early but then Leodis fumbled - brilliant! That's what first round picks do to earn the big money, friends.

Man, when we spring like a hungry tiger this weekend and beat them they won't know what hit 'em. Yes indeed, 8 long years waiting for this moment - it'll all be worth it because our record will be a proud 1-15 (although I could actually see them playing 'possum for another 10 meetings or so, just to make extra sure we have the element of surpise firmly nailed down)........