Brad Smith

r00tabaga

Was at the game and just watched the replay on DVR. Brad Smith missed what would've been the easiest TD of his life on a 3rd and 23 play from around midfield in the 1st. Gailey dialed up what looked like a screen and the ENTIRE rightside of the Raiders secondary bit on it.

Smith locked in only on Stevie and tucked and ran. 2 Bills were wide open and we had to punt.

Great call by Chan fwiw. Great game nonetheless.

Edited by r00tabaga

I like his running on the 3rd and shorts. Every one of the opposing players knows he's gonna run and he still gets it. Why? because the execution is perfect and Smith has the vision and can tap dance his way through the slightest opening. Take a fast guy like Spiller and he would get no gain or take a loss on similar plays.

He blew it.

Am I the only one who thinks the guy is way too tentative, as both a passer and runner?

His patience is nice on the short yardage stuff, but I'd love to see him be more assertive in general.

He turned a loss into a gain yesterday because he was "too tentative".

He blew the pass, but I can't knock how he is running so far, even if it appears to be in slow motion sometimes. He's patient, lets things develop and gets us first downs. First downs are good.

He's what, 5-5 on getting first downs on his short yardage runs? And IIRC, he didn't miss one in the pre-season either. The guy is a great addition to the team. If Fitz wasn't playing so extraordinarily well, I think Smith would be used a lot more in the games for various plays and packages. But there is no reason to mess with the momentum that the offense has overall in these two games.

I know the replay you are talking about. What I assumed was that there had to be an Oakland defender playing deep and just out of the camera shot(maybe 5 yards deeper than the WRs). The Bills had two players in the same spot, one likely was supposed to go deep and clear out for the flag route, both guys ran flag routes allowing the deepest defender (who I am assuming was there, but just outside of the camera shot).

He should've thrown the ball, but it wasn't a guaranteed TD. There was a safety behind the two open receivers.

You must have been at teh game to dsee that - us on TV couldnt. I guess I was right... good no throw by Smith

I know the replay you are talking about. What I assumed was that there had to be an Oakland defender playing deep and just out of the camera shot(maybe 5 yards deeper than the WRs). The Bills had two players in the same spot, one likely was supposed to go deep and clear out for the flag route, both guys ran flag routes allowing the deepest defender (who I am assuming was there, but just outside of the camera shot).

You must have been at teh game to dsee that - us on TV couldnt. I guess I was right... good no throw by Smith

That's exactly what I thought. That there HAD to be a safety behind the two WR. I'll have to watch the replay again and see how many Raiders were in the TV frame. But to me, it is very hard to believe that he got the ball, looked downfield, saw two blue Bills' jerseys and then didn't throw. I'd really like to hear him explain it.