Brad Smith

r00tabaga

He blew it.

Am I the only one who thinks the guy is way too tentative, as both a passer and runner?

His patience is nice on the short yardage stuff, but I'd love to see him be more assertive in general.

I have to disagree when it comes to his short yardage running. This guy hasn't been stopped yet on 2nd or 3rd and short when he runs. He's not tentative, he's patient and let's the play develop.

He definitely blew the trick play. My guess would be that he thought one of the 2 receivers in the same spot was actually a defender. It would be interesting to hear his explanation.

He actually doesn't have to complete many passes, if any, in order for his play action to work. Just the threat of him throwing will keep the safeties playing honest. I have no doubt as soon as an opposing team puts both safeties in the box to stop the run and there is single coverage on the outside, Smith will be throwing deep.

Just the fact that teams have to spend practice time on defending this package is a bonus for us in a lot of ways that might not show up on a stat sheet.

RTB

You must have been at teh game to dsee that - us on TV couldnt. I guess I was right... good no throw by Smith

I wasn't at the game, but I watched the replay and you could see the Raiders safety fading back and then you never see him again. So he was either behind the Bills receivers, or was at the concession stand getting a beer and pretzel. ;)

I have to disagree when it comes to his short yardage running. This guy hasn't been stopped yet on 2nd or 3rd and short when he runs. He's not tentative, he's patient and let's the play develop.

He definitely blew the trick play. My guess would be that he thought one of the 2 receivers in the same spot was actually a defender. It would be interesting to hear his explanation.

He actually doesn't have to complete many passes, if any, in order for his play action to work. Just the threat of him throwing will keep the safeties playing honest. I have no doubt as soon as an opposing team puts both safeties in the box to stop the run and there is single coverage on the outside, Smith will be throwing deep.

Just the fact that teams have to spend practice time on defending this package is a bonus for us in a lot of ways that might not show up on a stat sheet.

RTB

Okay, I just watched it. There DEFINITELY was a safety right behind the two Bills WRs. You just couldn't see him on the TV frame. If you watch the replay, the safety was playing way back and immediately went toward those two WR. He was right behind them. Smith may have been able to throw it short and have one of the Bills WR come back for the ball but one, SJ I think, was falling. It was actually a good decision not to throw. Solomon Wilcox was just flat wrong. There was a guy right there.

He turned a loss into a gain yesterday because he was "too tentative".

He blew the pass, but I can't knock how he is running so far, even if it appears to be in slow motion sometimes. He's patient, lets things develop and gets us first downs. First downs are good.

I have no issue with how he's been on 3rd and shorts. To quote EA's Madden, seems like if you need 2 yards, he'll get you 2 yards; and if you need 3 yards, he'll get you 2 yards.

I don't know--I was just expecting a lot more bang for our buck given what we paid the guy. That means I expect him to explode for 20+ yard runs; I expect him to take kickoffs out of the endzone even if he's 5 yards deep; and I expect him to throw and connect on the few gadget pass plays where his number is called.

Maybe those are unrealistic expectations....