Bills looking to extend Fitz

Rockinon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you joking?

I like Fitz, but I'm thinking he's only worth $3-5 mm per year, if that.

I also have a serious problem of doing this now. Let the season play out, and then pay him. As we learned from Gregg Williams and Jauron regimes, you can start fast before the whole thing goes down in flames.

No I'm not joking, Thigpen signed as the backup this past offseason for almost $4M per season. Fitz right now is making over $3M, you want to pay him less than he was previously making and less than his backup? Who are Fitz's comparables and what do they make? Kyle Orton received a contract extension last season that bumped his pay to approx $8M, Fitz puts up better numbers than him. Cassell signed 6 years $63M two years ago. Fitz puts up better numbers than he does also. A broken down Matt Hasselbeck signed 3 years $20M this past offseason. It's a QB driven league and those guys get paid.

Edited by Carey Bender

Am I missing something here? Why do so many people say that it has to happen now? Can't we wait until right before he becomes a free agent? Or at least midway through the year? I don't want Dick and Trent 2.0 happening. That being said, if the guy gets an extension and DOESN'T play his heart out I guess it wasn't worth extending him at any point and we'd know that sooner than later...

Because we have seen his performance over the past year and it is promising. Dick had a long history of failure and his extension was a mistake.

After a jaw dropping 4 TD performance to start the season, the Bills brass is talking with Fitzpatrick about an extension. Good move, in my opinion. Fitz is a leader that the team respects and rallies behind. It's a good message to send too. Those that perform are rewarded.

WGR 550

No one talking to Parish's agent doesn't really bother me much. Doesn't mean he won't be extended in the future or that he will either. Perform, Roscoe and you will be rewarded.

Two things to note here...Why would the Bills try to sign him NOW when his stock is at its highest, even though he has yet to show consistency....

No one talking to Parish's agent absolutely thrills me. I know people love him, but the guy does not help us win. He didn't have a catch in last weeks domination. He is too inconsistent and fragile to play slot in the NFL, Welker he is NOT....Pass

Am I missing something here? Why do so many people say that it has to happen now? Can't we wait until right before he becomes a free agent? Or at least midway through the year? I don't want Dick and Trent 2.0 happening. That being said, if the guy gets an extension and DOESN'T play his heart out I guess it wasn't worth extending him at any point and we'd know that sooner than later...

+1 one, I like Fitz. But I don't want the franchise to go crazy over him after one game, only to be stuck with another mediocre QB for years.

Fitz could very well be a franchise guy, let's just have him prove it first...

Two things to note here...Why would the Bills try to sign him NOW when his stock is at its highest, even though he has yet to show consistency....

No one talking to Parish's agent absolutely thrills me. I know people love him, but the guy does not help us win. He didn't have a catch in last weeks domination. He is too inconsistent and fragile to play slot in the NFL, Welker he is NOT....Pass

His stock may be as high as it's been, but it's most definitely not as high as it would be after a string of performances like that. Lock him up now at a fair but reasonable price. Makes sense to me.

And I'm no Roscoe lover, but he did have a pretty fantastic punt return in the KC game that all but wrapped things up for us. I get psyched every time he has a chance to return a punt or just gets his hands on the ball.

The closer a player is to free agency the more likely they are to just wait to hit the open market. When in the open market the more likely they are to not resign or get a ridiculous offer not worth matching (Poz). So doing it now makes it more likely to retain the player and get him at a better price.

After a jaw dropping 4 TD performance to start the season, the Bills brass is talking with Fitzpatrick about an extension. Good move, in my opinion. Fitz is a leader that the team respects and rallies behind. It's a good message to send too. Those that perform are rewarded.

WGR 550

No one talking to Parish's agent doesn't really bother me much. Doesn't mean he won't be extended in the future or that he will either. Perform, Roscoe and you will be rewarded.

Typical stupid Bills' front office move. Why not wait until the end of the season? They extended Jauron for 3 years after the team got off to a hot start. Bad investment. They extended Lee Evans mid-season after the team got off to a hot start. Bad investment.

If the front office were smart, it would allow Fitz to perform for an entire season and evaluate the entire body of work. If only... :)

Are you joking?

I also have a serious problem of doing this now. Let the season play out, and then pay him. As we learned from Gregg Williams and Jauron regimes, you can start fast before the whole thing goes down in flames.

3 years, 20-25, or 4 years around 30, 40% guaranteed would be my guess.

Are you joking?

Given how important Fitz is to the team and locker room, letting him go in any event is going to cause issues.

So in the last two and half years Fitz has had 22 starts for Buffalo and 24 appearances overall. I'd say we have a pretty good idea of what he offers and how he has improved since he has arrived. I think there is more than enough information on this guy to decide if he is worth locking up to a nice Starting QB Caliber contract. I have no problem with it. I want him here. I am sure Chan wants him here. I say do and do it now.

Yeah, I have to admit this scares me. I've got a bad feeling about this. Where's Han Solo when you need him?

He should make more money than his backup and 3rd string. Extending him now is the right thing to do. It sounds like Stevie and the Bills are far off on a contract so you will probably need to tag him next offseason. Can't franchise both, so signing Fitz to an extension eliminates the possibility of ending up having to pick one over the other. Not to mention we are under the cap by a lot and it's not like they can't design it like McNabb's last year where it is easy to part ways if you want.

The closer a player is to free agency the more likely they are to just wait to hit the open market. When in the open market the more likely they are to not resign or get a ridiculous offer not worth matching (Poz). So doing it now makes it more likely to retain the player and get him at a better price.

So in the last two and half years Fitz has had 22 starts for Buffalo and 24 appearances overall. I'd say we have a pretty good idea of what he offers and how he has improved since he has arrived. I think there is more than enough information on this guy to decide if he is worth locking up to a nice Starting QB Caliber contract. I have no problem with it. I want him here. I am sure Chan wants him here. I say do and do it now.

+2

I don't care what anyone else says. This is exactly the right time to extend Fitzpatrick's contract. Not doing so is stupid. If he lights it up this season, the whole NFL will be bidding on him next year. Not only that, to completely ignore that the guy has all ready earned it would just be plain dirty.

These wait and see people are off their rockers.

I don't care what anyone else says. This is exactly the right time to extend Fitzpatrick's contract. Not doing so is stupid. If he lights it up this season, the whole NFL will be bidding on him next year. Not only that, to completely ignore that the guy has all ready earned it would just be plain dirty.

These wait and see people are off their rockers.

This sends the right message to the team...perform and you get rewarded...if they let him get to the end of the year, he might tell them to go stuff it and see what he can get as a FA

WGR 550

:thumbsup: