Merriman vs Carrington and run Defense

TPS

There's a brief analysis (using video tape of the game i assume) of Merriman's play in the KC game on the Rumbling's site. In particular, Galliford talks about how Merriman was strong against the run, and how he was able to disengage blockers and set the edge.

There's been a lot of debate here about the extent of the improvement of the running game based on a few big gains and the lack of runs by the chiefs. As I've stated in several of those posts, Carrington was the RDE on the first two big runs, the first by Charles the second Dexter M. Carrington failed to disengage his single blocker on both of those runs.

Conclusions:

1. A healthy Merriman not only helps the pass rush, but more importantly helps the running game. Merriman himself talked about his off season MMA workouts that helped him with his hand-fighting techniques.

2. Carrington needs to improve significantly in this area of his game.

I sure hope Merriman stays healthy...

Go Bills!

Carrington's gotta play to learn all the tricks. I'll tell you this, he's a beast on a bull rush and when he learns to seal the edge and disengage from blockers, he's going to be a force. The guy just needs to play...and maybe learn from light's out. People were thinking Merriman should have made a bigger splash, but he played a great game and must be accounted for on every play.

Even my untrained eye noticed Carrington was the problem on those few long runs.

Give him some time--I think it's all going to click soon for him.

likewise, my untrained eye noticed him on one of the two.

He's done some nice things in preseason, including some really nice disengages, push, and movement down the line. So I expect him to continue to get better as he gets more experience. He's sure to get those shortcomings pointed out during film session today. We'll see if he really can learn and improve. He's got the raw size & talent.

There's a brief analysis (using video tape of the game i assume) of Merriman's play in the KC game on the Rumbling's site. In particular, Galliford talks about how Merriman was strong against the run, and how he was able to disengage blockers and set the edge.

There's been a lot of debate here about the extent of the improvement of the running game based on a few big gains and the lack of runs by the chiefs. As I've stated in several of those posts, Carrington was the RDE on the first two big runs, the first by Charles the second Dexter M. Carrington failed to disengage his single blocker on both of those runs.

Conclusions:

1. A healthy Merriman not only helps the pass rush, but more importantly helps the running game. Merriman himself talked about his off season MMA workouts that helped him with his hand-fighting techniques.

2. Carrington needs to improve significantly in this area of his game.

I sure hope Merriman stays healthy...

Go Bills!

Ditto on Merriman -- Linky to the analysis on Rumblings, please?

AC did his job on the second run. He kept his contain and prevented McCluster from getting around the corner. Yes he was engaged with his blocker and it would have been a great play to disengage and make the tackle but his main job on that play is to string it out and turn the play back into the pursuit which was not there. And AC did just that. Our MLB needed to make the play when AC turned it in but our backer never got into the play.

On the first run, the one by Charles, AC lost contain and let Charles get around the corner. Poor technique by AC on that play. That play was all on AC.

GO BILLS!!!