Are the Colts New Entry in Andrew Luck Sweepstakes?

The Bengals are very high on Dalton. I understand the trend in the past decade or so has been the team with the number one overall pick must take a QB because the league is more passer friendly then ever. I get that. But if Dalton can show even the slightest glimpse of potential, why not hold onto him? Luck is a once in a lifetime player, but there will be highly touted players from other positions that will be pushing into the top 5 (Coples, Kalil, Blackmon). They just spent a high second round pick on Dalton, if he proves he has a future as a starting QB, why waste your vital 2012 first round pick on a position you're not necessarily missing?

You take Luck no matter what you have at QB IMO. If you have two great QB's deal one later. But always improve your chances of having an Elite player at QB when you have the chance.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You take Luck no matter what you have at QB IMO. If you have two great QB's deal one later. But always improve your chances of having an Elite player at QB when you have the chance.

I hear you. But say the Bengals do have the first overall pick and they intend on starting Dalton next year. With the new rookie wage scale, I would guess that the number one overall pick would be easier to trade because teams would no longer have to worry about the huge signing bonus in addition to the amount they gave up to trade into the first spot. I could definitely see the Bengals shopping the pick around, imagine how much the could get for it. Possibly two first round picks? maybe more?

Serious queston. If Peyton Manning misses the entire season, do the Colts have a shot at fist overall pick and Andrew Luck? Probably not. I think that they are a five or six win team without Manning and someone's going to go 1 - 15 (either Carolina or Cincinnati). I would definitely start to believe in a curse if Polian somehow manages to get the "next" Peyton Manning just about when the original is running out of gas.

I can see Bill Polian remaking his team with Andrew Luck...

Really makes you wonder if Bill Polian isn't already thinking about his next QB after Manning retires, and if the Colts want to tank this seaason

The question prevails, is Andrew Luck that once in a decade QB like John Elway?

If so then I can understand Buffalo not drafting for the O line again this year, I get it that Seattle wanted Travaris Jackson as their starting QB. I understand why the Redskins would even say John Beck is going to contend for the starters job.The Dolphins are sticking with Chad Henne.. the 49ers are sticking with Alex Smith. The Bengals will start Andrew Dalton, the Jags are starting Luke McCown

I watched Luck play in a practice game, the kid looks like the real deal to be the #1 overall, which team will suck enough to get him?

Really makes you wonder if Bill Polian isn't already thinking about his next QB after Manning retires, and if the Colts want to tank this seaason

The question prevails, is Andrew Luck that once in a decade QB like John Elway?

If so then I can understand Buffalo not drafting for the O line again this year, I get it that Seattle wanted Travaris Jackson as their starting QB. I understand why the Redskins would even say John Beck is going to contend for the starters job.The Dolphins are sticking with Chad Henne.. the 49ers are sticking with Alex Smith. The Bengals will start Andrew Dalton, the Jags are starting Luke McCown

I watched Luck play in a practice game, the kid looks like the real deal to be the #1 overall, which team will suck enough to get him?

Errrrr....the Jags drafted Blaine Gabbert.

I understand the love for Luck, really I do. All the pundits love him and everyone for that matter. He seems good. Looks the part. Their will be others available though. Doesn't anyone else like someone like Kellen Moore? The kid wins and plays smart too, just like Luck. I don't get into the really, really early projections, but it would seem that Moore should be running fairly close behind Luck. If not Moore, someone else. It can't just be a Luck or bust season for all these teams is it?

Sun 9/11 Houston Texans at Houston 1:00 pm

Sun 9/18 Cleveland Browns Cleveland 1:00 pm

Sun 9/25 Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh 8:20 pm

Mon 10/3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Tampa Bay 8:30 pm

Sun 10/9 Kansas City Chiefs Kansas City 1:00 pm

Sun 10/16 Cincinnati Bengals at Cincinnati 1:00 pm

Sun 10/23 New Orleans Saints at New Orleans 8:20 pm

Sun 10/30 Tennessee Titans at Tennessee 1:00 pm

Sun 11/6 Atlanta Falcons Atlanta 1:00 pm

Sun 11/13 Jacksonville Jaguars Jacksonville 1:00 pm

Bye

Sun 11/27 Carolina Panthers Carolina 1:00 pm

Sun 12/4 New England Patriots at New England 8:20 pm

Sun 12/11 Baltimore Ravens at Baltimore 1:00 pm

Sun 12/18 Tennessee Titans Tennessee 1:00 pm

Thu 12/22 Houston Texans Houston 8:20 pm

Sun 1/1 Jacksonville Jaguars at Jacksonville 1:00 pm

I don't think the colts will get # 1. They'll probably win 3-4 of the 7 bold games and will probably win 1-2 of the rest. Collins is at least a competent veteran and should get them to 5-6 wins.

This question was discussed on Mike and Mike this AM. They both agreed that, if the Colts had the chance to pick Luck next year, that they wouldn't take him! They said that, if Manning was coming back next season, they would "ride him for a few more years and draft someone they could put on the field right away" with the number one pick.

These two are complete morons.

I understand the love for Luck, really I do. All the pundits love him and everyone for that matter. He seems good. Looks the part. Their will be others available though. Doesn't anyone else like someone like Kellen Moore? The kid wins and plays smart too, just like Luck. I don't get into the really, really early projections, but it would seem that Moore should be running fairly close behind Luck. If not Moore, someone else. It can't just be a Luck or bust season for all these teams is it?

I feel sorry for Luck, actually - Sam Bradford didn't/doesn't have nearly as much pressure as Andy does to be 'God-like', and Bradford's a much better QB. Same with Landry Jones, maybe Matt Barkley as well - they're both as good or better than Luck, but will not have nearly as much pressure on them because the media is engaged in a love affair with the kid from Stanford and, in doing so, inspiring similar lunacy among the masses (along with total ignorance of the other extremely gifted QBs available in the 2012 draft.)

I expect this will change after Stanford faces a legitimate opponent, and as Oklahoma's Landry Jones' fortunes rise along with the Sooners' win count. I just hope Matt Barkley will still be available when the Bills finally pick.

I sure hope not. The kid has done well in college (I wont get into the level of his usual competition). But if the Bills were to pick him in the first round, Id wash my hands of this administration and probably team, and right now Im a huge Nix fan and supporter. I just dont think Moore has what it takes to make the transition to the Pro game.

But there definitely are a few other options for QB, and they might be very good. But they arent at the level Luck is, yet. It's a long season, so we'll see who steps up and makes a name for themselves. Last year at this time, almost no one was talking about Cam Newton (or even knew who he was).

Last year at this time, almost no one was talking about Cam Newton (or even knew who he was).

That's 'cause, prior to being a one year wonder at Auburn, Newton's body of work consisted of stealing laptops, getting kicked out of Florida for academic cheating, and playing junior college football at Blinn.

(JMO, but now I think folks will be talking about him for years - and what a bust he was in the NFL. We'll soon see.)

That's 'cause, prior to being a one year wonder at Auburn, Newton's body of work consisted of stealing laptops, getting kicked out of Florida for academic cheating, and playing junior college football at Blinn.

(JMO, but now I think folks will be talking about him for years - and what a bust he was in the NFL. We'll soon see.)

Moving on... <_<

I dont quite get the pessimism on the Colts. Sure they lose Manning...They still have Reggie Wayne, Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie and SUPER BOWL WINNING QB Kerry Collins.

While they might not make the playoffs, expecting them to go 3-13 or worse is quite ridiculous in my opinion. I put them at 9-7 or 8-8 without Manning.

Three things lead me to the belief that the Colts will probably pull off a 1997 San Antonio maneuver here and land Luck.

1. You need somebody to get the ball to those receivers. Collins hit a wall last year. Couple that the offensive line is used to Manning taking the majority of snaps from shotgun and Collins rarely did in Ten.

2. Addai needs holes to run through. People complain about the Bills line. Indy's isn't all that hot either. It's a combination of aging players and stopgaps with no depth. At all.

3. The defense is alright, but injury plagued. Outside of Mathis, Freeney and perhaps Brackett, it's an average defense that's injury prone.