Are the Colts New Entry in Andrew Luck Sweepstakes?

Serious queston. If Peyton Manning misses the entire season, do the Colts have a shot at fist overall pick and Andrew Luck? Probably not. I think that they are a five or six win team without Manning and someone's going to go 1 - 15 (either Carolina or Cincinnati). I would definitely start to believe in a curse if Polian somehow manages to get the "next" Peyton Manning just about when the original is running out of gas.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd bet they struggle to win 6 games if Manning is out all season. Could just as easily be 3-13 or 8-8. So yes, they are definitely in the Luck sweepstakes if Peyton is out all year. If Carolina ends up #1 again, they'll definitely go OL or DL. Depending on how Dalton does, same could be said for the Bengals.

Interesting though, for all the praise Polian gets for his work with the Colts, take away Peyton Manning and they are a mediocre team (at best). Not a lot of depth or other high level players on the roster.

The question was just asked on Around the Horn, "How many games do the Colts win without Manning?", and no one said more than 4.

Edited by DrDareustein

What teams would be consider in the luck sweepstakes, bills, 49ers, denver, colts?, Cin?.

I wouldn't even say Cin. or Denver. I'd say, as of right now, the possible Luck landing spots are: Washington, Seattle, San Fran, Miami, Buffalo, maybe Oakland.

I'd say yes they are. There isn't much to the Colts after you take away Manning. Indy has a mediocre *team* with aging stars that's in cap hell, especially if Manning can't play anymore.

That's a team that's primed to crash and burn.

I'd say yes they are. There isn't much to the Colts after you take away Manning. Indy has a mediocre *team* with aging stars that's in cap hell, especially if Manning can't play anymore.

That's a team that's primed to crash and burn.

I dont quite get the pessimism on the Colts. Sure they lose Manning...They still have Reggie Wayne, Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie and SUPER BOWL WINNING QB Kerry Collins.

While they might not make the playoffs, expecting them to go 3-13 or worse is quite ridiculous in my opinion. I put them at 9-7 or 8-8 without Manning.

<br />I wouldn't even say Cin. or Denver. I'd say, as of right now, the possible Luck landing spots are: Washington, Seattle, San Fran, Miami, Buffalo, maybe Oakland.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Why not Cincinnati? The only thing in their favor is the fact that they play vs the NFC west. They're bad and they have a rookie qb. If they get a chance at Luck, they won't pass on him because they have Dalton.

<br /><br /><br />

Why not Cincinnati? The only thing in their favor is the fact that they play vs the NFC west. They're bad and they have a rookie qb. If they get a chance at Luck, they won't pass on him because they have Dalton.

Depends on how Dalton does this year. If he looks decent, and they have a shot at the best OL or DL, they'd be smart to take the Lineman. However, this is Cinci we're talking about, one of the few teams managed more poorly than the Bills, so anything is possible.

I dont quite get the pessimism on the Colts. Sure they lose Manning...They still have Reggie Wayne, Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie and SUPER BOWL WINNING QB Kerry Collins.

While they might not make the playoffs, expecting them to go 3-13 or worse is quite ridiculous in my opinion. I put them at 9-7 or 8-8 without Manning.

Which Super Bowl did Kerry Collins win?

I don't know if I would go as high as 9-7, but I would be shocked if they only won 3 or 4 games as some are predicting.

No doubt. They weren't winning it all with him and they've always been terrible when he sits. He's not only starting QB he's effectively the OC too. That whole offense revolved around him and given his uniqueness and iron man they never invested in a quality backup.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Bill Belichick will trade all of his accumulated draft picks for Andrew Luck

Tom* Brady* is 34 years old, just signed a 4-year $72M contract, then had off-season surgery for a stress-fracture in his* right foot* - in other words, *he's old, expensive, and his* body* will soon start to fail - so I wouldn't even be too shocked to see Brady* traded for someone's #1-pick if Belicheat* thinks he* can get Luck (or Jones, or Barkley).

Bill Belichick will trade all of his accumulated draft picks for Andrew Luck

I was just going to post this. I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled a Mike Ditka type of draft next season and packaged all tuier picks with the first team picking to take Luck.

According to many on this board they are better off losing Manning than their LT. Every off season it is debated whether the bills should draft a Tackle or a QB, and every year both sides of the debate have equal numbers. I think it should be obvious that QB is the most important position in football, and they colts poor record this year will prove it.

The Bengals are very high on Dalton. I understand the trend in the past decade or so has been the team with the number one overall pick must take a QB because the league is more passer friendly then ever. I get that. But if Dalton can show even the slightest glimpse of potential, why not hold onto him? Luck is a once in a lifetime player, but there will be highly touted players from other positions that will be pushing into the top 5 (Coples, Kalil, Blackmon). They just spent a high second round pick on Dalton, if he proves he has a future as a starting QB, why waste your vital 2012 first round pick on a position you're not necessarily missing?