Buddy on Shredd and Ragan a few minutes ago

eball

Do you really believe Overdorf made a trade without Nix's consent?

No, I believe Overdork made the trade with Nix's consent. Something like:

Overdork: "I'm trading Evans. He's too expensive."

Nix: "Okay."

Or:

Overdork: "We need to cut expenses by several million this year. Here's our five highest-paid players, cash-wise, this year. Pick one."

Nix: "...aww, hell. Evans, I guess."

What I do NOT think, based on everything I've heard, is that Evans was moved for any reason other than money. By any roster standpoint, it was a dumb move to get rid of your best receiving threat (beacuse he sucks at crossing routes? Seriously? :lol:) Hence, either Nix is a football moron...or Nix was forced to bow to the accountants' demands.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to that interview, this is exactly how I saw it playing out on here. No matter what Buddy said, fans here still wouldn't believe a word because if it wasn't what they believe, then its just propaganda from the Bills front office

The thing with Nix, is that the guy is very upfront with what he says and doesn't "beat around the bush". The comment he made about Ralph wanting some big name guys but Buddy talking him out of it doesn't surprise me either. Buddy has said from DAY 1 that he does not like going after big names in FA because you always end up overpaying for guys who underperform. His rebuilding plan does not involve quick fixes to get them back to mediocrity, or to keep them in a constant cycle of rebuilding, its to rebuild from the ground up with players they can develop and a team that will stay competitive for more then just a season or 2. They are trying to build a team similar to NE, Indy, Pittsburgh, a team with a solid foundation that is in the playoff hunt every year and only needs tweaks in the offseason instead of rebuilds. They don't want a team like Miami, a team that seems to be in a constant roller coaster of up and down seasons. Buddy right now knows that Ralph has given him some time to do what he feels he needs to do to turn around the franchise, and because of that, he doesn't need to build a team that has to win now or else.

look at the up and coming teams right now, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Kansas City, etc. They al had MANY rough years in the basement of the league before they were able to get to where they are going now, and how many would view those teams at the moment as teams that have to win now?

Or:

Overdork: "We need to cut expenses by several million this year. Here's our five highest-paid players, cash-wise, this year. Pick one."

What I do NOT think, based on everything I've heard, is that Evans was moved for any reason other than money. By any roster standpoint, it was a dumb move to get rid of your best receiving threat (beacuse he sucks at crossing routes? Seriously? :lol:) Hence, either Nix is a football moron...or Nix was forced to bow to the accountants' demands.

And until anyone can provide even one iota of proof this is the case, I'll view your scenario with equal (if not greater) skepticism.

And until anyone can provide even one iota of proof this is the case, I'll view your scenario with equal (if not greater) skepticism.

Is saying Lee Evans is better than Donald Jones proof enough?

Geez.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

Or:

EVANS WAS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE PAID A COUPLE OF MILLION THIS SEASON (AROUND 3 I BELEIVE?) Why would they need to get rid of him to save that money? Didn't they also pay him his bonus before he was dealt too? If its a cost cutting move, the condition of the deal would be that the Ravens have to pay the bonus, not Buffalo.

Evans is getting older, and he has always been a "one trick pony" as being a deep threat. He had some of his best numbers when Losman was the QB, only because Losman was able to air out the ball to him deep. The Bills want their receivers to run crossing routes and Block too, something Evans wasn't going to do, so instead of letting him take up a roster spot for another season of ok play, they decided to do him a favour and move him to a team that was wanting a deep threat and is a contender.

this board was filled with posts about trading Evans this offseason because the thought was he didn't fit here anymore and was on the decline. The team makes the move and the board is filled with posts about how dumb a move it was to let him go because he was so great. I'm expecting the same reaction if they get rid of kelsay. Fans scream about how he sucks and want him gone, but the second they let him go and don't get the #1 overall pick for him, it will be posts about how the Bills let him go for nothing and how he should have been kept because he was pretty good.

My theory is that this whole thing started because of something that Nix said to Wawrow "off the record," which is why Wawrow wrote his article in such a circumspect manner. This was immediately apparent to OBD, and I'm guessing Nix got some flack for it and it was suggested to him that he make it right. I agree with Kelly - they're in full damage-control mode right now.

The player-related commentary is quite believable, however, and it's refreshing. If Nix's superiors would just get out of the way and let him do his job, we might win some games for a chance. One can dream...

Damage control? Do you really think Buddy or Chan or the organization as a whole cares about doing any sort of damage control? And what for? This was a decision they made....period, I liked Evans ho hum cash a check approach but the guy wanted out, and I have as much inside info as the rest of you. It is common sense. Evans toed the line, got paid and did not care if he was a part for the roster and he obviously wasn't a major role player in Chan's offense. Listen to Evan's interview after wards. Never said he was shocked, disappointed or that it came out of the blue. He wanted out and the Bills obliged. Thanks for the 4th rounder B'more.

Listening to that interview, this is exactly how I saw it playing out on here. No matter what Buddy said, fans here still wouldn't believe a word because if it wasn't what they believe, then its just propaganda from the Bills front office

Reading this thread makes it pretty clear that people will believe anything Buddy says. "We tricked everybody by playing our OT at DT so we could hide him." "Evans sucks and it has nothing to do with his salary." "We need a backup guard and the best way to do that is to cut your backup center, and it has nothing to do with the guys salary. In the NFL, you don't really need a backup center because centers never get hurt."

All of that is met with:"Wow. Finally a straight shooter."

Everybody better go look for a pot of gold because Buddy says he just shot a rainbow out his butt.

Great stuff. I think Buffalo is much better on the O-line than people think. I agree that all answers are straight forward and calling it like he was told or see's it. Chan most likely saw that Wood is a better center and eeds to be there. I think the Bills are by far a sleeper this year and will be in all games. I also think we get to 8-8 and anything under that is considered falure. No reason to not be 8-8. As many here feel 5-6 wins again, I ask to explain because this team has done nothing but gotten bigger, stronger and have been in a system for more than a year now meaning they have chemistry and a much better understanding of the system. I really like the fact how he said Lee is not a crossing route player and it's more than obvious Chan not only wants but demands this, and the management is listening to him. On the offensive line, he's right. We are stronger but weak for backups. I think we have a nastier bunch in there that will get the line moving forward and get the running backs a few yards more yards. Might even give the pats and jets a split.

The NFL network even said teams like the pats and Indy are not come from behind defenses. I think if we pound the ball we can compete. NOTE I said COMPETE not BEAT. I think we go 8-8 or better.

i don't know if that's the way anyone has phrased it.

jw

ADD: heck, NGU might even agree with me on this.

After seeing more on the topic I do agree. Also I would like to formally apologize to you. I don't typically get involved in those types of strings. I was literally just passing through for the first time in awhile and was attempting to correct what I thought was a misconception without having all of the information. It was wrong of me to do so and I should have gone about in a more professional manner.

Just to clarify because I know it will come up here. I never said it was not about money. It is always a consideration, but not the only one in this case. I am not defending the organization. I would certainly like to see Lee Evans still in a Bills uniform. My attempt to clarify was about the process not the rationale.

Have to go, but I will try to check back later. Once again John Wawrow, my apologies.

oh, people are seriously responding to crayonz here?

anyways...

Buddy didnt say anything that the more level-headed posters didnt already know. I dont really buy that they were "hiding" Jasper, but I guess anything is possible.

BIG thanks to eball for transcribing all of that! :thumbsup: Great job and great read. I like Buddy as our football guy, and Bill-ieve in his plan. We'll see how it goes.

Or:

I have a hard time believing that Buddy Nix or Doug Whaley would work in an environment where Overdorf has power over personal decisions. Buddy is 70 years old. I just don't think he would take the job without have complete and total control over the roster.

Or:

WHY, WHY, WHY would Nix decide to trade Evans for any reason other than the Bills DONT need him. Nix is a man in his 60's who is here because he wants to WIN. Thats it. Getting rid of Evans gives the Bills a better chance to win. If Nix didn't think the Bills were committed to winning then he wouldn't be wasting his time here.

The guy has had 500 yard and 600 yard seasons the past two years. He's useless on third down. He's useless against cover 2. You cant just throw it to him and expect to come down with it. Evans doesn't run crossing routes. He doesn't run posts over the middle and he doesn't block. He is the Hail Mary play in Madden football every freakin play. That doesn't work in Maddden and it doesn't work in the NFL.

After seeing more on the topic I do agree. Also I would like to formally apologize to you. I don't typically get involved in those types of strings. I was literally just passing through for the first time in awhile and was attempting to correct what I thought was a misconception without having all of the information. It was wrong of me to do so and I should have gone about in a more professional manner.

Just to clarify because I know it will come up here. I never said it was not about money. It is always a consideration, but not the only one in this case. I am not defending the organization. I would certainly like to see Lee Evans still in a Bills uniform. My attempt to clarify was about the process not the rationale.

Have to go, but I will try to check back later. Once again John Wawrow, my apologies.

Some where T-Greg is standing on a playground waiting for the clock to strike 3 pm. You don't mess with his Wawarorowowoaoaw (j/k John). Good family fun here.

Edited by BUFFALOTONE

:lol: Yeah, right. Because it's not like Overdork can fire Nix if he doesn't tow the company line.

Enjoy your Kool-Aid. Pay no mind to the bitter almond after-taste.

Well said. Ralph never fires people for not towing the Company line. It's not like he fired possibly the best GM ever for refusing to tow the Company line. Oh, wait.

Well said. Ralph never fires people for not towing the Company line. It's not like he fired possibly the best GM ever for refusing to tow the Company line. Oh, wait.

I never realised that part of the company line was to not insult the owners daughter who is also a fellow employee. You should go into work and say insulting things about a member of your bosses immediate family and see what happens. I bet youw ill get a nice corner office promotion with a view!

Some where T-Greg is standing on a playground waiting for the clock to strike 3 pm. You don't mess with his Wawarorowowoaoaw (j/k John). Good family fun here.

I wold not want it to come to that.

Just thought it was the right thing to do. That was not a good way to approach the discussion.

I wold not want it to come to that.

Just thought it was the right thing to do. That was not a good way to approach the discussion.

I know what you mean, I enjoyed the thread until it was locked. It is rare to see an inside glimpse that both you and John bring to the board. I appreciate the insight. I enjoyed Tim G as well but he had to be careful of everything he said because of his job at the mother ship, and with good reason.

Great stuff eball.

I like Nix's interview style. Call me a Kool-Aid drinker and a Ralph apologist if you will, but I don't sense a lot of spin or BS in those answers.

Don't really have anything against the Good Ol' Boys at OBD, but as he said. He needs to prove he can put together a winning football team. They gotta win football games in order to be a successful. I don't care if they sign the best player or the guy across the street from Buddy, as long as they can prove that they can compete and are getting better at all positions, then we may have something, otherwise it's another unsuccessful season.