Jacksonville to release Garrard

Albany,n.y.

I guess people didn't really read the articles about this. Garrard apparently has been a finger pointer; criticized his O-Line, receivers for dropping passes...teammates chose not to name him a team captain. Apparently this wasn't strictly about money, nor will he be all that missed by teammates.

I don't want to be too one sided against the guy, though. He can play; he's better than several guys who start in this league, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go somewhere else (Seattle? SF?) and take someone's job. If his attitude got worse this year, it isn't surprising; probably disillusioned after they took Gabbert in 1st round. Not seeing him wind up here. Fitz has this year to prove himself for once and for all, and Thigpen and Gailey have a high degree of familiarity with each other and the system.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess people didn't really read the articles about this. Garrard apparently has been a finger pointer; criticized his O-Line, receivers for dropping passes...teammates chose not to name him a team captain. Apparently this wasn't strictly about money, nor will he be all that missed by teammates. ...

Thanks for the insight. I had posted earlier upthread that this would hurt their locker room. But, if his team mates had reason not to like him, then the opposite is true. A move like this can galvanize a team sometimes.

GO BILLS!!!

Kellen Moore? Marginal NFL talent with underwhelming arm strength.

I'll take my chance at a franchise QB like Andrew Luck or Matt Barkley.

Or Landry Jones, who I like over Barkley at the moment...

Moore is barely 6 ft. as well...Pass... B-)

Fitz has this year to prove himself for once and for all, and Thigpen and Gailey have a high degree of familiarity with each other and the system.

I'm not suggesting anything, mostly because I doubt The Bills would do it anyway...But Garrard is at least twice as good an NFL QB as Thigpen...I could care less if Thigpen was Gailey's Kid...Garrard would still be better... B-)

if you're not sold on your current starting qb, i think you're nuts.

11/12 165 yrds in preseason game 3 (most important preseason game)

his receivers are making his stats look bad by the way. with all the dropped passes.

last season he took over, and we got better.

pls get with the program.

all the love for thigpen is what i dont understand???????? he has clearly regressed. very very obvious.

really, its that time to start backing fitz. time is now.

Lame

Hopefully the bills are superbowl champs and pick 32.

what the f?????

Call me nuts then, because I am absolutely not sold on Fitz as the Bills' starting quarterback. I'll grant he played well in week 3 of the preseason. But I also remember Edwards and Losman having some very good preseason games.

Fitz's issue is and always has been his lack of consistent throwing accuracy. I don't think you can fix that.

As for the Bills winning the Super Bowl this season: hope all you want, but it isn't going to happen. There are a series of steps the Bills still need to take before they have a Super Bowl caliber team. I hope they take those steps as quickly and as efficaciously as possible. If in the 2012 draft the Bills could add a franchise QB and one other solid, starting caliber player--ideally an offensive lineman--I'd call it a very successful draft.

Now THAT'S what I call "cost cutting." I can't see this having anything but a huge negative impact on their locker room. I know they'll start McCown but this still puts the pressure squarely on Gabbert to perform better, faster.

I'm pissed if I'm a Jags fan.

GO BILLS!!!

Not much different than last season here - we just waited until after game 2 to cut our starting QB.

I guess people didn't really read the articles about this. Garrard apparently has been a finger pointer; criticized his O-Line, receivers for dropping passes...teammates chose not to name him a team captain. Apparently this wasn't strictly about money, nor will he be all that missed by teammates.

I don't want to be too one sided against the guy, though. He can play; he's better than several guys who start in this league, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go somewhere else (Seattle? SF?) and take someone's job. If his attitude got worse this year, it isn't surprising; probably disillusioned after they took Gabbert in 1st round. Not seeing him wind up here. Fitz has this year to prove himself for once and for all, and Thigpen and Gailey have a high degree of familiarity with each other and the system.

It's not shocking that Garrard lost his job for the reasons you mention. The timing is shocking. I mean, who waives their starting QB right at the beginning of the season??? Besides the Bills of course who similarly cut TE 8 days into the season! Major personnel moves don't happen now. Well, besides the Bills firing their OC right before the season a couple years ago.

:unsure:

Now THAT'S what I call "cost cutting." I can't see this having anything but a huge negative impact on their locker room. I know they'll start McCown but this still puts the pressure squarely on Gabbert to perform better, faster.

I'm pissed if I'm a Jags fan.

GO BILLS!!!

His teammates didn't even vote him as an offensive captain. Word is he was sour in the locker roomwhich is not what you need in a rebuild. If it was all money, I don't think they wouldve spent like they did. I think they were down on the player/man

It's not shocking that Garrard lost his job for the reasons you mention. The timing is shocking. I mean, who waives their starting QB right at the beginning of the season??? Besides the Bills of course who similarly cut TE 8 days into the season! Major personnel moves don't happen now. Well, besides the Bills firing their OC right before the season a couple years ago.

Jax does it. See leftwich, Byron. It worked then, which was probably not a good lesson for del rio to learn.

Yes, let's change QB's before the fist game of the season. That'll make an impact! <_<

PTR

Or we can change Offensive Coordinators. Oops. We already did that! :wallbash:

OUCH! Why am I a Bills fan again? :oops:

Thanks for the insight. I had posted earlier upthread that this would hurt their locker room. But, if his team mates had reason not to like him, then the opposite is true. A move like this can galvanize a team sometimes.

GO BILLS!!!

Oops. Replied to you without getting through the thread. I'm on the fence but could definitely see it playing well. It did last time, but it couldn't work twice, could it?

Always like what I've seen out of garrard. The scrambling ability is well known, but he's competitive and throws a surprisingly good deep ball. I also think del rio is a horrible coach, especially when it comes to offense. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with him as fitzy's backup than thigpen.

Not much different than last season here - we just waited until after game 2 to cut our starting QB.

It's very different in one major respect.

When a player is on a team's opening day roster, his base salary is guaranteed for that year.

I think Garrard's contract for this year was about $8 million so the Jags are off the hook for that amount.

Trent Edwards on the other hand, was due his base salary by being on the opening day roster… so big difference there.

This is amazing. Garrard is, categorically, a good player, and probably better than Fitz. Last year, he had a 64.5 percent completion rate, 7.5 ypa, 23 TDs/15 INTs, and a 90.8 rating. He also had 5 rushing TDs.

He has a lifetime record of 39-37 and a lifetime QB rating of 85.8. That's better than Jim Kelly (84.4). The one knock on him is the sack rate - 8.3 percent last year, which was up from previous years. In any event, he's better than most, and this is a QB-starved league.

Anyway, I'm blown away by the Jags' decision to cut a good player despite being a borderline playoff team. But they did save $8 million. The Bills aren't the only cheap team, it seems.

Good post Dave. Maybe this stuff is partially linked to the global economic collapse, but one would think that the people who would be least affected by it would be the rich NFL owners. And at his age, how could economic conditions matter to RW? The man is guaranteed a profit from the TV contract alone, no? And, WNY was already having tough times.

I'm sorry to edge off topic. I'm still a bit dazed form the JW/NGU threads. And did you read the summary of the Nix interview that eball posted? It directly contradicts what these guys said.

Who are you (and of course others) inclined to believe more, Nix or NGU/JW? As for me, I lean towards believing JW/NGU as far as the Evans trade being an economic decision, and the meddling by Mr. Wilson.

The browns started Charlie Fye, benched him by halftime and traded him on Monday. Went 10-6 that year and had a pro bowl QB (Yes I know DA sucks)

Good post Dave. Maybe this stuff is partially linked to the global economic collapse, but one would think that the people who would be least affected by it would be the rich NFL owners. And at his age, how could economic conditions matter to RW? The man is guaranteed a profit from the TV contract alone, no? And, WNY was already having tough times.

I'm sorry to edge off topic. I'm still a bit dazed form the JW/NGU threads. And did you read the summary of the Nix interview that eball posted? It directly contradicts what these guys said.

Who are you (and of course others) inclined to believe more, Nix or NGU/JW? As for me, I lean towards believing JW/NGU as far as the Evans trade being an economic decision, and the meddling by Mr. Wilson.

Why would they decide to trade him after his salary goes down from $7 million to $3 million? For the record, I didn't like the trade because I think Evans is more of a help to this team than a 4th rounder. But maybe the coaches didn't simply like Evans' game. Gailey always talked about him improving his route running.

I love Evans and he is one of my favorite Bills ever. But what happened when we trade Moulds years ago? Time will tell how good of a trade this was but I don't believe it was for economic reasons.

And Garrad is one of the most underrated QBs in the NFL. He has had garbage at receiver his whole career. If a team like the 49ers sign him, they would make a playoff push. And Gabbert is Trent Edwards, Jr.