Peter King Predicts the Bills Finish 3rd in AFCE

While I agree that the OL remains a weakness, I also believe it is better than it was last year. The left side is the same players as last year, but they should be better with an additional year of experience. Wood at C is an upgrade over Hangartner. Urbik had a slow start to camp, but looked good in the last couple preseason games. Pears has looked much better than Cornell Green. The lack of depth is a concern, but IMO among the starters the only spot that might be a downgrade compared to this time last year is Urbik at RG instead of Wood. Every other starting position is either an upgrade, or the same player who should have theoretically gotten better compared to last year. Even among the backups, I would feel better if they signed another quality vet and I think they should have kept Hangartner for this reason, but we had guys like Wrotto and Howard starting at various points last season who didn't make the roster this year, so I'm not convinced the depth is that much worse either. I guess we'll see in 5 days.

I have to disagree. This is the same OL that while ok in pass protection generated virtually no push run blocking. One offseason of maturing will not be enough.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to disagree. This is the same OL that while ok in pass protection generated virtually no push run blocking. One offseason of maturing will not be enough.

The thing is, while Spiller didn't manage, and we didn't break big runs, FJ still managed to "move the chains" with an average of 4.2 YPA last year.

I did think I saw improvement in run blocking this preseason when the starting OL was there. It's hard to tell though cuz guys were being moved around so much.

We'll all know more after 2 games.

I think that's one reason for focus on bringing in a better blocking TE with D. Martin injured.

The thing is, while Spiller didn't manage, and we didn't break big runs, FJ still managed to "move the chains" with an average of 4.2 YPA last year.

I did think I saw improvement in run blocking this preseason when the starting OL was there. It's hard to tell though cuz guys were being moved around so much.

We'll all know more after 2 games.

I think that's one reason for focus on bringing in a better blocking TE with D. Martin injured.

Yea but only 58 yards per game. While his YPC was good, we all know that the line had trouble establishing a ground game.

I agree that we wont really know about the progress of the OL or any player until a few games in

So would you rather have Bell-Levitre-Hangartner-Wood-Green, with Wood and Bell both coming of serious injuries and unable to practice fully and needing to take plays off in games, or Bell-Levitre-Wood-Urbik-Pears, with Wood and Bell both healthy? I don't expect the line to be great this year and still think it's the teams biggest weakness, but I do expect them to be better than last year.

So would you rather have Bell-Levitre-Hangartner-Wood-Green, with Wood and Bell both coming of serious injuries and unable to practice fully and needing to take plays off in games, or Bell-Levitre-Wood-Urbik-Pears, with Wood and Bell both healthy? I don't expect the line to be great this year and still think it's the teams biggest weakness, but I do expect them to be better than last year.

No and I didn't imply that at all. I would prefer a line with more talent than last years or this years. I don't understand how it wasn't addressed in the off-season.

We all expect the line to be better, but then again everyone on this board thinks every players will get better and that alone will be sufficient to add wins. Well other players on other teams get better, and the other teams have been doing more to improve their rosters more so than the Bills, who needed it more.

I noticed that Peter talked very slowly, as if he were trying to stretch to fill one minute with interesting info on the Bills. It reminded me of writing papers in college with 4 inch margins on each side.

They watch all that formatting junk pretty closely nowadays, its tough to get away with.

I know that people like to talk about "Offensive Line issues" but would anyone like to be a little bit more specific on what their concerns are?

I will preface before the reponses....I am wondering how may will say it is because

"Right Tackle" which has been paroted since before the season....even though Pears has been suprisingly consistant

"Left Tackle" because of the inconsistant Bell....even though we are moving towards huge blocking tight ends to help out.

We will be ok folks

King puts 20 teams (nearly 2/3 of the league) in the 7-9 to 10-6 "basket" -- which basically implies everything is up for grabs.

Have you ever heard of a normal distribution curve? I guess statistics wasn't on your curriculum. If you had studied statistics you would know that about 68% of the distribution lies within one standard deviation of the mean. The mean in a 16 game season is 8 wins and 8 losses. Therefore, about two thirds of the population will be near 8 wins plus or minus 1 standard deviation. Statistically, King is stating the obvious and you are repeating it.

Have you ever heard of a normal distribution curve? I guess statistics wasn't on your curriculum. If you had studied statistics you would know that about 68% of the distribution lies within one standard deviation of the mean. The mean in a 16 game season is 8 wins and 8 losses. Therefore, about two thirds of the population will be near 8 wins plus or minus 1 standard deviation. Statistically, King is stating the obvious and you are repeating it.

No need to condescend, guy. I merely stated what King had done (i.e., nothing noteworthy). Sorry I didn't add enough statistical bells and whistles for your liking.

I know that people like to talk about "Offensive Line issues" but would anyone like to be a little bit more specific on what their concerns are?

I will preface before the reponses....I am wondering how may will say it is because

"Right Tackle" which has been paroted since before the season....even though Pears has been suprisingly consistant

"Left Tackle" because of the inconsistant Bell....even though we are moving towards huge blocking tight ends to help out.

We will be ok folks

At what? He's played a bunch of quarters in preseason. Can't they play a few games before the O-line is deemed "OK" now?

King puts 20 teams (nearly 2/3 of the league) in the 7-9 to 10-6 "basket" -- which basically implies everything is up for grabs.

Hedging his bets a bit after the backlash he got from Tampa fans last year?

We will be ok folk

I think my biggest concern for this team and not just the OL is depth but considering we haven't even had very good 1st teamers I'll take the baby steps. I think Nix/Gailey have made tremendous strides in putting together a competent football team. These things take time, especially when your dealing with the absolute crap the people in this organization have put together over the years. I think if we stay healthy we get better as the season progresses and the Bills finally shut up their critics, and next year is only better especially with how far under the cap we are. Hey, maybe and I do mean maybe, Ralph has been sand bagging his money to attract some more high profile players as we move into the playoff picture. Could be the perfect storm this team needs. GO BILLS!!!

I noticed that Peter talked very slowly, as if he were trying to stretch to fill one minute with interesting info on the Bills. It reminded me of writing papers in college with 4 inch margins on each side.

Hahaha - can't believe anyone would pick us other than 4th in AFC East

7-9 is my prediction for the Bills as well. I don't get why the Bills secondary is such a concern. They are 4 deep at corner (McGee, McKelvin, Florence, and Williams) and are pretty solid at safety Byrd screams potential and Wilson is a solid player. Searcy and Scott are also capable depth.

I really don't understand why people pick on the secondary. WR, O-line, TE, and LB depth all things you can knock the Bills for BUT secondary?