Best Bills Game Ever

Astrobot

To me, the best game ever by the Bills was the AFC Championship that advanced the Bills to their first Super Bowl. The Raidahs scored first on a field goal, then the Bills answered with 51 unanswered points. :thumbsup:

Kelly's no-huddle, the 12th man, and the 0-degree weather (snow warnings of up to a foot of snow) got to the Raiders, who had to run a base defense all afternoon. Top that this season, Bills!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I57EZLhJn7g

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected on the weather. I'm converting a different Raiders-Bills playoff game right now. Raiders are ahead 17-13. I'm betting the Bills win though lol

There were 2 Raider games that were cold. One game late in '88 and the playoff game you are referring to.

Edited by nucci

I was watching Sportscenter at the bar last night. They had a top ten list of the best NFL games of the last 25 years. Three of them were Bills games: The Greatest Comeback (which was number one), Super Bowl XXV (which was 3rd or 4th) and the game without a punt against the 49ers (7th or 8th).

I gotta go with the Great Comeback, the first Superbowl, and probably the AFL championship game against San Diego. There were some great regular season games, but its kind of hard to pick one.

I liked the game against the raiders, but we whooped them so bad that its hard to call it great. I figure a great game is when you are playing against someone very very good with a lot at stake. That would be very few regular season games.

A couple quick observations:

1) It was fun when we weren't a football afterthought.

2) Man, those were big shoulder pads back then.

3) Keith McKeller's jersey spacing makes him seem like MC Hammer's long lost brother MC Keller.

4) In that game Kelly threw so many times flat footed and just flipping the ball to the open guy, but very accurate the whole time.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197509280pit.htm

1975 at Pittsburgh. Steelers were defending Super Bowl champions and would win the title again that year. Bills shreaded one of the best Ds of all time for over 300 yards on the ground. Steelers would lose only one other game that year, a last week meaningless game.

To me, the best game ever by the Bills was the AFC Championship that advanced the Bills to their first Super Bowl. The Raidahs scored first on a field goal, then the Bills answered with 51 unanswered points. :thumbsup:

Kelly's no-huddle, the 12th man, and the 0-degree weather (snow warnings of up to a foot of snow) got to the Raiders, who had to run a base defense all afternoon. Top that this season, Bills!

youtube.com/watch?v=I57EZLhJn7g

I might have to go with you on this...but, when the Bills breaking "the curse", opening day, of the 1980 season at Rich Stadium, ending their 21 game streak of futility over the fish, was right up there. I was at that game, and to this day, it is probably the most euphoric sporting moment I have ever witnessed live...the energy in the stadium that day was just amazing...only other time I felt it, at a Bills game, was when Jim Kelly was introduced, for his first opening day at Rich, against the Jets...the crowd was so loud when he was announced, you could just feel the stadium vibrating...

Of course, I wasn't at that Raiders game (I have been to close to 200 Bills games in my days, but never a playoff game), but I do remember almost crying when that game was winding down...I remeber they showed Bennett, Seals and Bruce all kind of dancing on the benches in front of the crowd, and then they showed Jim Kelly zinging balls up into the stands...I got a lump in my throat, I must admitt...I never thought I would see that day...

Best games IMO would probably be:

Comeback game #1

Raider game #2

unfortunately I wasn't in attendance to either game but do remember them very well.

Bet games I've been too, regardless of team/season/meaningful wins or losses:

Monday night against the Cowgirls. By far best game I've ever been to. The excitement that night was absolutely electric from start to finish. I'll never forget it. Man I just wish we won that game.

The snow game against the Colts a year or two ago was amazing to be at. Just a ton of fun. Regardless if it was meaningful or not.

The Raider game last year or the year before when we came back to win it at the end. Again, just another fun game with a lot of excitement. I was passed out sick in the stands. I couldn't tell anyone what happened to me that game. The fans around me were warned not to touch or talk to me by my buddies. A very rare occurance to be honest. I woke up feeling like a million bucks and we started to come back and it was great. To tuis day people I sit with say It was like as soon as I woke up so did the team. It was alot of fun.

Other memorable games for me when I was a kid was winning the division or locking up the playoffs (can't remember) against the Jets. Me and my buddy with his father. We kept yelling at everyone that we were gonna rip down the goal posts. That never happened but it was fun.

I think 1990ish. We had Lofton and Kelly connected with him on the first or second play from scrimage for a long TD in the scoreboard end zone. I remember Lofton fanning his arms out to his sides as he eased into the endzone. The next year they made a football card of him in that play. Was great.

The snow game against Miami when they came back out of nowhere as a blizzard hit right at halftime when they came back to the field you couldn't see a thing.

I think the comeback games are so much more exciting than anything else. Nothing is more fun than being in a game when it's a defensive battle with the stands going crazy making tons of noise. The Monday night game for me had it all.

I think 10-7 against Denver in the Jan. 1992 (1991 season) AFC Title game deserves consideration, as well.

Good call too...intense game. Sadly, those are the kind of games that fans of the teams participating seem to cherish much more than the casual fans, particularly when it is teams like the Bills and Broncos who aren't as prominent nationally. But yeah, that was a terrific game...Cartlon Bailey and Jeff Wright save the day...

I might have to go with you on this...but, when the Bills breaking "the curse", opening day, of the 1980 season at Rich Stadium, ending their 21 game streak of futility over the fish, was right up there. I was at that game, and to this day, it is probably the most euphoric sporting moment I have ever witnessed live...the energy in the stadium that day was just amazing...only other time I felt it, at a Bills game, was when Jim Kelly was introduced, for his first opening day at Rich, against the Jets...the crowd was so loud when he was announced, you could just feel the stadium vibrating...

Of course, I wasn't at that Raiders game (I have been to close to 200 Bills games in my days, but never a playoff game), but I do remember almost crying when that game was winding down...I remeber they showed Bennett, Seals and Bruce all kind of dancing on the benches in front of the crowd, and then they showed Jim Kelly zinging balls up into the stands...I got a lump in my throat, I must admitt...I never thought I would see that day...

I've got to agree with you. I was at that game as well in the upper deck and when the gun went off the stadium went berzerk. People were jumping so much you could feel the concrete sway up and down. I remember wondering if the section I was in was going to collapse. There may be games with a more historic impact but for sheer emotion it's got to be between this game or the Comeback.

I was watching Sportscenter at the bar last night. They had a top ten list of the best NFL games of the last 25 years. Three of them were Bills games: The Greatest Comeback (which was number one), Super Bowl XXV (which was 3rd or 4th) and the game without a punt against the 49ers (7th or 8th).

That 49'er game has to be right up there. The No-Punt Game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgw6wTONA4Y&feature=related