Gameday traditions for out-of-towners

Tommy

With the last preseason game behind us, and the regular season quickly approaching, I thought I'd see what people who live out-of-town will be doing for Bills games this year. I had to move near Philadelphia for work, so I'll be heading to the Bills Backers Bar called McFaddens in center city each week. What kinds of traditions do other people have for the games? Local Bills Backers Bar? Sit at home with Sunday Ticket? Meet up with other Bills fans in the area at someone's place?

Maybe this thread can be used for people who recently moved to meet up with other Bills fans. Have at it!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally I'm watching the Ticket on my big screen with a couple of buddies. Last year my parents moved south to an "over 55" community with a great clubhouse. On Sundays they advertise the Ticket and the first couple of times my folks went, they had to beg to get the Bills game on (lots of Giants, Jets, Patriots fans). They were so passionate, though, that now my dad is on the "committee" for Sunday football and it is presumed the Bills will be one of the featured games each week. My mom brings a Bills tablecloth and huge spread each week. It's hilarious. I'll likely watch a couple of games over there this season.

the bills backers of greenville nc (theres 8 of us) will be religiously watching every game on tv #2 at tiebreakers. were a small group, but a rowdy group. the last time we played the chiefs there was blood shed. cant wait for next sunday.

the bills backers of greenville nc (theres 8 of us) will be religiously watching every game on tv #2 at tiebreakers. were a small group, but a rowdy group. the last time we played the chiefs there was blood shed. cant wait for next sunday.

Damn where were you guys when I was going to ECU back in the early 90s?

With the last preseason game behind us, and the regular season quickly approaching, I thought I'd see what people who live out-of-town will be doing for Bills games this year. I had to move near Philadelphia for work, so I'll be heading to the Bills Backers Bar called McFaddens in center city each week. What kinds of traditions do other people have for the games? Local Bills Backers Bar? Sit at home with Sunday Ticket? Meet up with other Bills fans in the area at someone's place?

Maybe this thread can be used for people who recently moved to meet up with other Bills fans. Have at it!

im glad you mentioned a place here in philly to watch the games if need be. i moved here in 2008 and watch the games on the dish at my daughters. like lots, we have a family get to- together with as much "buffalo food" as we can get our hands on. fortunately wegmans has moved in to this territory and we have access to sahlen's , webers mustard, so all is not lost. just an fyi for people in the northern va , dc area, there is an excellant place called "jimmy's " maybe " jimmy's old time", in herndon va. it is excelllant, shows all the bills and sabres games, true buffalo bar. he even serves beef on weck , highly recommend it!

Edited by dwight in philly

In Richmond, VA, a bunch of bills fans get together at Mulligans in the Fan. We get a whole room to ourselves with a big screen and you can actually hear the game which is a big plus. Food is OK (burgers are good), beer is cold, and atmosphere is great. It is nice to have other fans to share the suffering with.

Also, every year me and a bunch of guys come back to Buffalo for an our "Annual Bills Weekend" We converge on Buffalo from all over the country for two days of fun. THis year is the Eagles game. We plan on being in the mud lot in fron to fo the firld house early. Anyone know when he is opening his lot this year???

Edited by buffalopdc

Damn where were you guys when I was going to ECU back in the early 90s?

so you were here in the REAL crazy days of ECU. it sure has gotten milder over the past decade. weve been together since 2006. if you ever pass through greenville on a sunday stop by.

Good discussion for my first post, lol. Anyone in the central-MD area, we all meet at Nottingham's bar in Columbia. Bar food is average, but we get a whole back room to ourselves, with a big screen tv with sound. The organizers bring Bills flags, Bills table runners, and even a stereo with the "Shout" song on it. Come on by if you are in the area and need a place to watch the game. The group of people is top-notch!

When I lived in DC i would go to a few of the bills bars for games. Then last year I started going to a buddy's place where they had the ticket. None of them were bills fans but since they really didn't like pro football (college football guys) I could usually convince them to let me switch back and forth between the bills games and nfl red zone. Regardless of the place, my tradition has always involved ample amounts of bong hits to ease the pain of the inevitable loss.

I get really wasted the night before. Wake up @ noon on Sunday and park my ass on the couch.

Btw- I got a DVR last year and my girlfriend now believes that it is ok to pause the game while she tries sends me to the store,walk the dog,take out the trash,etc. Damn you technology!!!!

The dark side of TIVO. It's my favorite invention, but I get the same stuff from wife. "Why can't you watch the game later? You're tivoing it anyway." There is no logical counter argument to a non-football fan.

I actually live outside of Philly as well (Ardmore), was born and raised in Ra-cha-cha but have been here for awhile. I didn't know McFadden's was a Bills Backer Bar. I heard Public House (in the city) was one as well.

A buddy of mine (Steelers Fan) has the Sunday ticket and we usually set up two TV's so we can watch both games at the same time. If the Bills start playing really well, I would love to meet up with some other fans in Philly and root together. One can only hope.

First thing when I wake up on gameday morning, I take the contents of my wallet and flush whatever cash I have down the toilet. Then I drink a beer. Next I make a delicious breakfast consisting of bacon, eggs, ham, sausage and steak. I put it on the floor and then kick the dog when he tries to eat it. I finish breakfast and drink another beer.

After breakfast I get in the car to buy more beer, and on the way home I stop to do donuts on my neighbors yard while blasting the Bills' shout song. When I get home I kick the dog a few more times and break every mirror in the house. 5 minutes before kickoff my wife removes all the sharp objects from the house and takes my shoelaces, then its time for some FOOTBALL!

God I love Sundays!

Roll out of bed around 9am, fire up the deep fryer, begin prepping my football food menu. Around 930-945 a few of my buddies arrive and I start cooking. Put the Bills game on at 10am, eat, drink, and cry for three hours. Then watch real football around 1:15 pm. My buddies usually usual trickle in and out during the games. This year I live closer to the Bills bar so I will watch a couple games there but for the most part I watch it at home.

The dark side of TIVO. It's my favorite invention, but I get the same stuff from wife. "Why can't you watch the game later? You're tivoing it anyway." There is no logical counter argument to a non-football fan.

See..might be a sign of aging but I love to DVR the games and watch them later. If i start drinking beers at 1PM..nothing good coming out of that day. Now, start watching at 4.30 or so...can watch the Bills game and pause etc while cooking, recording a 4 pm game if a good game..eat dinner bout 7.30 when Primetime is on..watch that after dinner while reording the night game, then watch the night game, or at least the firat half. All that while drinking beers(wine with dinner depending) and most importantly...no freaking commercials!!!

Really do have a tough time watching live football after doing the above sinse 99 or so

1. Wake up singing, "Ralph is cheap, Ralph is cheap. Doo-Dah, Doo-Dah!"

2. Feast on a light breakfast of yaws and goiters.

3. Watch ESPN intently listening for any mention of The Bills.

4. (Knowingly) Disappointed in the ten second spot portraying them as the sad-sack opponent of the awesome (Flavor-of-the-week Up-and-coming/Intrenched-Powerhouse/Mediocre-but-still-better-than-The Bills) team that is destined on this awesome autumn afternoon to trounce and humiliate them and their loyal fans, flip the channel in the vain hope of finding something or some one who has even the most paltry proffered promise of hope in the guise of "improvement" or "making a game of it".

5. Scan the TV listings for Bills game in the vain hope that they'll be on network TV.

6. Slightly dejected from the negative results of that search, the commencement of game time food stuffs begins.

7. Important decisions need to be finalized - Chili or Ribs; Beef-on-Weck or Rubens; Hots or Iti Sausage & Peppers; Gimlets and Beer or Beer and Beer.

8. Watch NFL pregame shows.

9. Tune in to Sirius NFL radio broadcast of game.

10. Glory/Despair in the real game effort put forth that week by this year's squad wearing the Blue White and Red.

11. Watch the game on NFL Rewind to get visual confirmation of the visceral exercise undertaken in step 10.

Yep, that's pretty much it. Gameday traditions for me.