Gameday traditions for out-of-towners

Tommy

In the Dayton Ohio area, a bunch of us get together each week at a place called Chappy's, just south of town. Great beer selection, great food. Varying numbers of folks, usually a minimum of 15-20 hard core fans....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Sunday Ticket this year so I won't ber going out much. I drive to Buffalo for half the games. The others I would usually go to Billy's in Manchester NH. We'd get 6-12 fans a game. Only the Steelers contingent was larger. At least once a season I'd drive to Boston to hang with the Bills Backers at the Harp. They'll get 100-200 on a good weekend.

I've been in SC for 11 years and haven't found any Bills backers on the northeast side of Columbia yet.

No one in my immediate family follows football so I'll be on here with my laptop while streaming the game on my living room TV.

Isn't there a wing place owned by Buffalo folks in Irmo? There was back in the 80's.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

See..might be a sign of aging but I love to DVR the games and watch them later. If i start drinking beers at 1PM..nothing good coming out of that day. Now, start watching at 4.30 or so...can watch the Bills game and pause etc while cooking, recording a 4 pm game if a good game..eat dinner bout 7.30 when Primetime is on..watch that after dinner while reording the night game, then watch the night game, or at least the firat half. All that while drinking beers(wine with dinner depending) and most importantly...no freaking commercials!!!

Really do have a tough time watching live football after doing the above sinse 99 or so

That actually sounds pretty good.

My problems with watching it recorded are: (a) With ticket, one the best parts is watching live, and then flipping to other games during commercials. Can't do that when you watch it tivoed; and (b) avoiding all media so as not to spoil the Bills game.

Oftentimes, I have to end up starting the game at around 2 pm. It's not a bad compromise. I watch no commercials for the first half, catch up at half-time, and can watch the Bills game/other games live until 4.

My parents, brother, wife, kid and I gather Sundays at the folks house for the NFL Ticket. All WNY transplants, we watch the game, eat and go home ticked off. I listen to the WGR post-game show on the iPhone and listen to more ticked off people including the pee-poor hosts. Sadly, my father is threatening to cancel the Ticket because of the constant rate increases. Can't blame him. Who wants to pay an arm and a leg to watch 4-12 seasons which make your family depressed? But we couldn't live without it. Buffalo-induced depression is in our blood.

Edited by bschmoove

My parents, brother, wife, kid and I gather Sundays at the folks house for the NFL Ticket. All WNY transplants, we watch the game, eat and go home ticked off. I listen to the WGR post-game show on the iPhone and listen to more ticked off people including the pee-poor hosts. Sadly, my father is threatening to cancel the Ticket because of the constant rate increases. Can't blame him. Who wants to pay an arm and a leg to watch 4-12 seasons which make your family depressed? But we couldn't live without it. Buffalo-induced depression is in our blood.

check out all of the sunday ticket threads this year. he can call up, threaten to cancel, and they'll basically give it to him for chump change. I'm paying $50.

I started the season following the titans forward lateral by vowing that I'd start weaving a backhair blanket & I wouldn't stop until the Bills returned to the playoffs. The blanket is coming along nicely, it's now 23 feet long. My wife doesn't enjoy having to pluck the hair off my back, but she's a gamer.

I have Sunday Ticket this year so I won't ber going out much. I drive to Buffalo for half the games. The others I would usually go to Billy's in Manchester NH. We'd get 6-12 fans a game. Only the Steelers contingent was larger. At least once a season I'd drive to Boston to hang with the Bills Backers at the Harp. They'll get 100-200 on a good weekend.

Isn't there a wing place owned by Buffalo folks in Irmo? There was back in the 80's.

PTR

You could be right IDK. Irmo is pretty far away from me, but I appreciate the heads up.

That actually sounds pretty good.

My problems with watching it recorded are: (a) With ticket, one the best parts is watching live, and then flipping to other games during commercials. Can't do that when you watch it tivoed; and (b) avoiding all media so as not to spoil the Bills game.

Oftentimes, I have to end up starting the game at around 2 pm. It's not a bad compromise. I watch no commercials for the first half, catch up at half-time, and can watch the Bills game/other games live until 4.

that's good too..I tilt try to wait more to delay my beer drinking hours LOL. BTW, avoiding the media pretty easy..not many people walking around anywhere outside of WNY thatmgive a rats behind about the bills score...and lord knows they would never be on the local broadcast

I live down in Louisville; I have Sunday Ticket and the last few years I'd throw on my Freddie jersey, head out to the back deck around 9-9:30, grill some sausages and drink some beer, and listen to the pregame on 97 Rock over my iphone dock speakers. Basically, tailgate by myself (like a real winner, I know). Started building a fire as it got colder, but I really enjoyed it no matter the weather.

Have a little boy now though (and a Fitzy home throwback), so that ritual might only last through the warm weather this year. Or as long as my wife lets it go.

Edited by jwolf02

I have my morning coffee in my Cowboys cup. Then I dress and make

an hour drive from Arlington Texas to the Stadium Sports Cafe in

Addison Texas to watch my 'associate' team the Bills play while

watching the Boys with a group of about 5. Sounds weird but it

sure beats watching alone at home.

In Joplin Mo we turn on the tube and watch all the negative crap about the Bills, when the family arrives we turn on the sunday ticket and fire up the grill. I have a whole family of Bills fans except for my son in law who is a fish fan (complete with tat).

With the last preseason game behind us, and the regular season quickly approaching, I thought I'd see what people who live out-of-town will be doing for Bills games this year. I had to move near Philadelphia for work, so I'll be heading to the Bills Backers Bar called McFaddens in center city each week. What kinds of traditions do other people have for the games? Local Bills Backers Bar? Sit at home with Sunday Ticket? Meet up with other Bills fans in the area at someone's place?

Maybe this thread can be used for people who recently moved to meet up with other Bills fans. Have at it!

You will have a good laugh with that crew. Regardless of what happens with the game, it was always a good time. Even when we only had 12 people, it was a riot. Now there are 100+. I keep thinking about landing there some weekend, just to watch the game with those guys.

Every third and long I hold a leather flask that my friend has. I did it as a joke last year and fitzy threw a 40 yard pass for the first down. I held it the whole second half against the Bengals. We all know how that game went :). Should I just hold the whole games this year?

The Santa Barbara Brewing Company, State St., Santa Barbara, CA. Usually last about a quarter then leave to clear my head of the awful showing by the Bills. Watching in a sports bar allows one to look at several games and make comparisons--not good if you're a Bills fan.