Fred Jackson vs. Kyle Williams

I am stunned at how the front office and Bill's coaching staff has treated Fred Jackson. I find it odd that they they've given big money contracts to Kelsay and Williams with the reasoning of "good character leaders that will take us into the future". I ask members here whether that contract should have gone to Fred Jackson who has been arguably the best and most consistent player on offense. How do the Bill's organization atone for not recognizing FJ's unique style of running and durability? his pay I believe is ranked 40th for running backs at about 2 million! Money aside Fred has been taking his contract like a man and has battled to be the starter sending Marshawn on his way and clearly separated himself from Spiller. I hate to say it but I believe Ralph and the gang want a Notre Dame/ Hoosier team of white spirit. how else does this make any sense? So yeah I think race is an issue. "we have 2 starters", "Fred is a big part of what we are trying to do here" Huh?! fred is all we are really doing here. Where are the comments about his discipline and being respectful? where are the comments of FJ being part of Bill's Future? No offense to Kyle and he is great but imagine this team without Fred Jackson. Fred is a genious when it comes to getting positive yardage and setting up blocks. He knows how to take advantage of defensive run leverage and aggresive angles of pursuit. He truly is the bills future despite being respectful, patient and black. Put the starting glass cleats on FJ.

ps. be intelligent in regard to my theory of "spirit of a white team" versus arguing numbers of blacks vs whites. The kelsey contract is inexcusable as well as the organizations lack of kudos to FJ.

I am stunned at how the front office and Bill's coaching staff has treated Fred Jackson. I find it odd that they they've given big money contracts to Kelsay and Williams with the reasoning of "good character leaders that will take us into the future". I ask members here whether that contract should have gone to Fred Jackson who has been arguably the best and most consistent player on offense. How do the Bill's organization atone for not recognizing FJ's unique style of running and durability? his pay I believe is ranked 40th for running backs at about 2 million! Money aside Fred has been taking his contract like a man and has battled to be the starter sending Marshawn on his way and clearly separated himself from Spiller. I hate to say it but I believe Ralph and the gang want a Notre Dame/ Hoosier team of white spirit. how else does this make any sense? So yeah I think race is an issue. "we have 2 starters", "Fred is a big part of what we are trying to do here" Huh?! fred is all we are really doing here. Where are the comments about his discipline and being respectful? where are the comments of FJ being part of Bill's Future? No offense to Kyle and he is great but imagine this team without Fred Jackson. Fred is a genious when it comes to getting positive yardage and setting up blocks. He knows how to take advantage of defensive run leverage and aggresive angles of pursuit. He truly is the bills future despite being respectful, patient and black. Put the starting glass cleats on FJ.

ps. be intelligent in regard to my theory of "spirit of a white team" versus arguing numbers of blacks vs whites. The kelsey contract is inexcusable as well as the organizations lack of kudos to FJ.

The thing is, Buffalo still has the money to pay Fred more and give Stevie J a new contract too while still being well beneath the salary cap.

I hate to say it but I believe Ralph and the gang want a Notre Dame/ Hoosier team of white spirit. how else does this make any sense? So yeah I think race is an issue.

The kelsey contract is inexcusable as well as the organizations lack of kudos to FJ.

I have no idea what white spirit is, but Derrick Dockery is no Jimmy Chitwood.

Sorry, but Kyle Williams is more important to the team than Fred Jackson. I love Freddie, but there isn't such a thing as a 30 year old running back who represents the future of an NFL team. Kyle Williams, relative to the rest of the league at DT, is better than Fred Jackson, relative to the rest of the league at RB. And it's got nothing to do with race.

Yeah, Jackson doesn't get paid accordingly to his play. But that has nothing to do with race! It has everything to do with the fact that when he signed a 4 year extension in 2009, FJ was a 28 year old backup RB who'd had 1.5 decent NFL seasons after a pedigree of Coe College and the Sioux City Bandits.

Running backs are a dime a dozen in this league, and I think the Bills are FINALLY seeing that overpaying/overdrafting on running backs is not a strategy in which good teams use. This is also why Chris Johnson isn't getting a huge contract right now.

Don't be ridiculous with the racial accusations. Kyle Williams is the best player on our team right now -- THAT is why he got a contract (and at a fair price in my opinion). It has nothing to do with his skin colour.

I love Fred too, but why would they overpay on a 30 year old RB when they have a potential star (yes, debatable) and another young guy in White who also looks promising. Stevie J is next on the list, not Fred.

And if Ralph is so racist, why did he take Dareus in the first round? Plenty of white players went in the first round. Your theory is stupid.

guess you missed the contract the Bills gave Fred Jackson a few years ago

Kyle Williams deserved an extension and is considered one of the best interior lineman in football...but you think the Bills should have given Jackson who is solid but not considered one of the best at his position another contract instead of giving Williams his

you wouldnt even be bringing this up if Jackson didnt get upset last week

the Kelsay extension is still a mystery

Edited by Max997

FJ has 2 years left on the previous extension the Bills gave him. Kyle Williams had only one year left on his contract. Does Fred deserve more money? Of course, but KW was definitely the bigger priority. Even Steve Johnson is a bigger priority. Black vs White? Not buying that. Contract extensions are typically done one year before the contract is up....not two. So exactly how is it that FJ is being sooooo mistreated by the Bills FO?

I think you're reading too much into FJ's situation. It has zero to do with race. (how many starting RB's in the NFL are white? Thank you.) It has everything to do with the position he plays and the league trends at that position. You may have noticed that MOST teams do not draft RB's in the first round anymore. The trend for several years at RB is younger, cheaper. Fred, like it or not, is 30 years old. He may be a "young" 30 by NFL standards, but RB's statistically have the shortest careers of any position. So his age, and the fact that there is a highly paid RB drafted by this current staff on the roster means the end is near for FJ. CJ will eventually be the "1" back and FJ will be gone, replaced by a younger cheaper option such as Johhny White. Who knows, white may outplay Spiller for the starting role, but he is younger and certainly cheaper. The NFL is the most cutthroat business out there, and too bad for Freddy, a class act for sure but he's on the short end of it.

Sorry, but Kyle Williams is more important to the team than Fred Jackson. I love Freddie, but there isn't such a thing as a 30 year old running back who represents the future of an NFL team. Kyle Williams, relative to the rest of the league at DT, is better than Fred Jackson, relative to the rest of the league at RB. And it's got nothing to do with race.

Yeah, Jackson doesn't get paid accordingly to his play. But that has nothing to do with race! It has everything to do with the fact that when he signed a 4 year extension in 2009, FJ was a 28 year old backup RB who'd had 1.5 decent NFL seasons after a pedigree of Coe College and the Sioux City Bandits.

CORTO!!!???? Why is Corto on the team? No room for this stuff? But as to age? what decline lol have weve seen from fred? He evades getting hammered despite not having a line. And what about our efforts to retain Poz!?!? terrible LB.

Kyle Williams clearly has a better agent than FJ. His guy was agressive and got the deal done. People too often blame the team for not signing a guy, but for all we know they arent even in discussion. And if they are in discussion, they may be far apart in dollars.

I conceed money to a certain degree but what about this 2 starter nonsense?

CORTO!!!???? Why is Corto on the team? No room for this stuff? But as to age? what decline lol have weve seen from fred? He evades getting hammered despite not having a line. And what about our efforts to retain Poz!?!? terrible LB.

Why shouldn't Corto be on the team. As Ye Ole might say, he's THE WHIP on special teams. Great effort guy, cheap, makes smart plays. Why is the world black and white to you? Did you happen to notice the race of the ILBs who replaced Poz?

As to age, no, there hasn't been significant regression. But even the best agent in the world couldn't get a Kyle Williams sized contract for a 30 year old RB whose numbers dropped across the board last year.

First off, Im going to ignore your "race issue" other than to call you a moron1 and move on.

Secondly, maybe next year the team will talk about extending Freddie. Or maybe they'll decide he's a 32 year old running back and is replaceable. Yes, he is replaceable. And yes, he has 2 years left on his contract. Williams, Johnson, and Fitz were/are all much higher priority.

Also, this...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-9031299

Forgive me for thinking it, but as much as I think Jackson's numbers were pretty nice over the past two seasons, they certainly aren't anywhere near being in the zone where this guy should be playing the "Hey, I'm way underpaid" game.

If anything, his drop-off in production during the 2010-11 season should have him wanting to be reassuring his employers he'll do better this year in order to earn the money they're already giving him...

...Jackson's contract isn't an insult. What is an insult is his belief that simply because he was the leading rusher for two-consecutive years on a team as bad as the Buffalo Bills that he should command the ability to demand his contract be renegotiated—apparently to a salary in the "elite" running back category.

1©DC Tom

Doesn't Freddy make more than Fitz? More than Urbik, Pears and Chandler? And don't Spiller and Dareus make more than just about every other player on the team?

When Freddy got his extension a couple of years back, he was over the moon, thrilled, satisfied. Now that other players are getting their extensions, maybe Freddy's thinking he's being disrespected (BTW, he is, but it has nothing to do with money. See the next paragraph). You can bet when he got his raise, there were teammates who said to themselves, "Hey, when do I get mine?" That's the way it is. Right now, I think the Bills have other key contract priorities including Stevie and Fitz.

I don't think Freddy is pissed about his contract though, like any of us, he'd probably like to make more. I think his anger comes from constantly being disrespected by his coaches, probably all the way back to Pop Warner. No major or mini-major collegiate program wanted him so he wound up at Coe. Then he gets a "mercy" try-out with the Bills and does so good they can't cut him for fear he'll come back to haunt them. But they don't give him a real shot. He has constantly gone head-to-head with marquee running backs, first round picks, and whipped them all. Because he's been better than all of them. And here he is yet again being relegated to second string behind another marquee, first round pick who he's clearly much better than. I've got to believe any of us in a similar situation who be just as PO-ed. I mean, what more does the guy need to do to get the kind of endorsement Gailey gave Fitz? What more would it take for Chan to say, "Freddy's my starter." I think that's really what he wants more than anything. And man, he deserves it. He's the Bills best all-around back since Thurman.

Players should get paid not for what they have done -- but for what they are anticipated to do. Kyle got a big payday because we anticipate he will only get better for the next few years. Same could or should be said about Stevie and maybe Fitz. Consider the number of RBs that have changed teams just before they hit 30. (It killed me to see Thurman as a 'fin. But what did he contribute to that team?) RB is the one position that has a very short shelf life.

I really like Fred. But no-one put a gun to his head and forced him to sign his last contract extension. You think he ever thought he'd see that much money coming out of Coe College?

Hello!.... What part of "great white north" don't you understand? -Just kidding. Yes, they should have paid Fred. Still, he is on the WRONG side of 30. If it's discrimination, I tend to think it's more due to age, and position. -That's coming from a half Jewish, Half French-Canadian son of Freedom riders. Sure it stinks, but Ralphie and his ilk have covered their a$$es on this one as far as the race thing goes.

"Be intelligent in regard to my theory of "spirit of a white team" versus arguing numbers of blacks vs whites."

i've read this 3 times and still feel compelled to read it again. Would the contrary point of view to "It's about the 'spirit of a white team'!" really be "Look at the numbers of blacks vs. whites!"?? It seems so simple for both sides to claim victory.

Freddy is GOOD!!! That's about it. I love the guy and was a firm believer in starting him over Lynch and believe now he should start over CJ at least until CJ gets to the next level but that in no way makes me feel he deserves a new contract. What he's done is nothing but average at best (numbers wise) and for him to demand more respect or more money after a few good seasons is rediculous. He signed an extension a few years ago for a contract that should have brought him to retirement. He'll be over 32 when this contract is over and if you can find me a single RB that is a number 1 and produces like a true number 1 at 32 in recent history of the league I'll buy you a lunch. The fact is he is lucky to have even recieved a shot in the league and probably only did because Marv went to the same college as he did. Either way, he signed his contract after a year where he was given more freedom to work his magic and if he doesnt like it he can only blame himself and his agent for not asking for more. He is no where near as important to this team as Williams is. No where near as good at being a RB as Williams is a DT. If either were to leave this team it could be devastating but with CJ, White and Hall I'd feel more comfortable if he was let go vs Williams.

And I don't think race has anything to do with it.

Fellas, Does the great-white-hope exist any longer in sports these days...whether blatantly or subconsciously? We can go back and forth re a mans age and ability. Im just saying that there is nothing wrong with the philosophy its kinda the underdog thing. Did you get off thinking about Bryce Paup or Shobel killing QBs? Is Jarred Allen more celebrated inside your hearts vs a Dwight Finney? Riggins? Alstott? Largeant? You know what hell im trying to say. i theorize that the Bills are the Hoosiers of the Shield. I think thats our nitch. Of course the majority of the team is of color but the spirit of our team is white. Similar to the radiers being a buncha tuff ass rogues/castaways. Fred is a real life football HERO, he transcends age and money. Hes running style is as unique as any of the greats. Nobody runs as he does. Fred is not dispensable.