The backup depth we need at the offensive tackle position

Considering it was his first game he graded out extremely well to me.....and even though Wang looks horrible against backups Hairston does not.....

He gets movement in the run game.....hits moving targets well......and uses his long arms well to redirect pass rushers to the outside....and for the most part? Is UNMOVABLE

Considering it was his first game he graded out extremely well to me.....and even though Wang looks horrible against backups Hairston does not.....

He gets movement in the run game.....hits moving targets well......and uses his long arms well to redirect pass rushers to the outside....and for the most part? Is UNMOVABLE

The line looked really good tonight, I don't think they gave up any sacks. Was pleasantly surprised with bell as he did well in one on one situations but Kampman was out so we will see if can stay consistent with better opposition.

Yea he looked good but JAX DE's aren't very good so thier backups suck. He looked good but lets wait n see.

True, but for a kid who didn't have a full off-season and has missed a significant portion of the 4 weeks of NFL practice/action, it was encouraging.

One would think so. How can anyone say with certainty that Pears is significantly better right now? Tackle is thin.

Pears has experience, which makes him better. And I don't know how Levitre graded out last night, but if he did alright, depth is less of a concern.

One would think so. How can anyone say with certainty that Pears is significantly better right now? Tackle is thin.

I don't get the Pears bashing, so far he has looked pretty solid to me. In the pre-season at least, the Bills seem to be far more effective running to the right side, and I don't recall any major issues with pass protection from his side.

If Hairston develops, that would be great, he certainly has the size. And, I do think he played well last night. If he keeps progressing, we might actually have solid depth at RT for long time. Let him and Pears fight it out for the top spot.

What we need to do is address our interior backup positions.....

The depth there is Wang, Wrotto, and Howard who are NOT NFL caliber players for various reasons....I know that some of these guys are going to get the axe from the cut downs.....but if they truly are thinking of getting rid of hang man (who looked bad last night) lets get rid of these three as well and bring in some talent that actually has a chance to at least help the team in a back up role......

I think Hairston can back up both OT positions this year and will probably win the RT spot next.....but depth at C and OG scares the crap out of me

Hairston is a mauler. This kid will be our RT for many years.

People keep selling Hairston short. He played predominantly left tackle at Clemson but in some games (against Robert Quinn and North Carolina for one), he was switched to the right side in order to block the other team's best pass rusher. Hairston is more than a mauler.

I've watched the game twice now with special attention to the O-line. This was Hairston's very first NFL action. I'm positive he is already our number one swing tackle. He played both sides well, moves his feet well, gets to the second level easily, sinks his hips naturally and doesn't bend at the waist.

Hairston was reputed to be a very smart football player having scored in the 30s in the wonderlic test. The fact that he played both left and right tackle at Clemson and also in his first NFL game attests to his intelligence. He understood and executed the combination blocks and zone-blocking schemes almost flawlessly last night.

Yea he looked good but JAX DE's aren't very good so thier backups suck. He looked good but lets wait n see.

I made this point in the game thread last night. Regardless, you have to weigh this against the fact that this was his first NFL action ever and that he swung from right tackle to left tackle and I did not see any mental mistakes. He did incur a "hands to the face" penalty when he tased a pass rusher with his left hand, stopping him dead in his tracks.

Every member of the Bills O-line played well last night. Ultimately, whatever one thinks of Gailey's handling of some of the veteran players, the O-line came out fired up and ready to play.

I don't think a long term answer at LT is on the roster yet.

I disagree with you, Vince.

What we need to do is address our interior backup positions.....

The depth there is Wang, Wrotto, and Howard who are NOT NFL caliber players for various reasons....I know that some of these guys are going to get the axe from the cut downs.....but if they truly are thinking of getting rid of hang man (who looked bad last night) lets get rid of these three as well and bring in some talent that actually has a chance to at least help the team in a back up role......

I think Hairston can back up both OT positions this year and will probably win the RT spot next.....but depth at C and OG scares the crap out of me

I disagree, John.

Hangartner did get blown up by Terrence Knighton (who's outstanding) on that one play where he was also called for holding. But I thought he was just fine for most of his snaps. The guy started at center for us and has the ability to play both guard positions. He's super intelligent (high 40s wonderlic) and is almost the ideal inside reserve, IMO.

Wang sucks, IMO so I agree there. Wrotto and Howard both started at tackle for us last year so I think with more snaps, at least one of them will emerge as a viable interior backup.

If Hairston is the player I suspect him to be, then we've added an eventual quality starter and via the domino effect, our depth and reserve quality improved as a result.

Yes, we played poorly against Denver and Dumervil and Von Miller.

But the O-line was outstanding for the most part last night.

Detroit with N Suh and company will be an excellent test. They really outplayed the Patsies* last night in the trenches… even without Vandenbosch. They physically beat the crap out of Tom Brady. I wouldn't have been surprised had Belichick decided to pull Brady early.

This final preseason game will be a good litmus test for our O-line.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Every member of the Bills O-line played well last night. Ultimately, whatever one thinks of Gailey's handling of some of the veteran players, the O-line came out fired up and ready to play.

Agree completely, SJ! This does not dispute the statement you quoted in any way. Great showing from the OL last night comes as a huge relief.

Still I agree with the poster who said Hairston would have a chance to start in a full offseason. It didn't take him long to, in your mind, become our third best tackle. I wonder how far he'd have come along by now had this been a normal football year.

As it stands now, back in the real world with a shortened offseason, it's just nice to know there's a good prospect behind Bell and Pears. But can anyone say they'd be shocked to see the rookie starting late in the season?