Spiller starting

cmjoyce113

I didn't hear the Bills announcers, but Steve Tasker is almost always wrong. Great guy, great player, great Buffalo Bill, all-time sucky analyst. So, even though I didn't hear a word he said, if he was saying that Spiller was missing holes, I am very confident that Spiller was not missing holes. ;)

In the first half, I don't remember seeing any holes, let alone ones that Spiller missed.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was the starting RB and just came off the fourth most yards in NFL history in one season, and yes I know a sizable portion was kick returns but that doesn't matter. He was not only good, he played great. He played for minimum salary before that. Less than two million a year, and less than two million guaranteed is peanuts for a RB of his caliber and accomplishment. He had never made any money before, and he was restricted. They had him over a barrel, and gave him the very least they could get away with, instead of a salary commensurate with his ability and production. And he still was the good soldier, for awhile, although IMO you could always tell he was bitter about it reading between the lines.

Now he has had enough. There are at least a few if not several Bills veterans not happy with the Bills right now, for various reasons. You can choose not to believe it if you wish.

You keep saying how FJ is upset with the front office. You know this how? I haven't seen anything claiming that...

It wouldn't be far fetched that FJ would be upset though, sh-- I think we all are.

In the first half, I don't remember seeing any holes, let alone ones that Spiller missed.

Yeah I probably misspoke a little there. What I was referring to is when he runs into traffic and could make the choice to put his head down and try to get a couple yards (which is what Freddy and Lynch would do) he tries to break it outside or stutterstep and gets dropped in his tracks.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Tim Graham just said on twitter he is hearing it's spillers job to lose, not Freddy. I find this interesting and I think it would be a good thing.

He's doing a good job of losing it. However he does have one major strongpoint...we don't have anyone better than him on our roster, having traded away Lynch.

Can't argue with that. But he is usually wrong by trying to blow smoke up Bills fans asses, not the opposite ;)

Nope. Not in my opinion. Just always wrong. About everything. In fact, most people think he badmouths the Bills more than he ball-washes them. I just think he's always wrong. The only other analyst I ever heard who was almost always wrong was another all-time great guy and all-time great Bill, Paul Maguire. But at least he was entertaining and funny. Tasker is just wrong.

Good old over-generalization at it's best...Another TBD tradition...

As always it's the fringe who make extreme comments...But in every thread that the majority state the obvious (ie...Freddie is better than Spiller at this point), someone has got to go and make it out like the majority is saying something they clearly are not (ie...Spiller sucks)...

CJ looks good at times and he looks bad at times...He did not look bad on Sat nor did he look great...Freddie is as steady as they come and, again at this point, the better NFL Running Back...That does not mean CJ sucks or any Bills Fan with a half a freaking brain wants to see CJ fail...So...Can we stop with "The Official TBD party line" garbage?

Just saying... B-)

Mostly just frustration from a board "old-timer" who's annoyed with the "everything sucks and will never get better" that's prevalent at this time of year. The "If it's a first round pick thats not a pro-bowler, we need to bash everything they do," mentality get sickening.

Spiller still has a ways to go, but I'm confident he'll get there. He looked both good and bad on saturday in his limited action. I still think Freddie is the better back, and should be starting. I'm also guessing that Freddie will start the opener and get the majority of the carries.

But, Freddie has nothing to gain in preseason. Get CJ out there to continually learn the game, and tell Freddie to be ready to go on Sept. 11th.

Yeah I probably misspoke a little there. What I was referring to is when he runs into traffic and could make the choice to put his head down and try to get a couple yards (which is what Freddy and Lynch would do) he tries to break it outside or stutterstep and gets dropped in his tracks.

Fair enough. He is probably wise not to attempt a Lynch-like move given the frame size difference. Spiller was drafted to add another dimension to the offense and be a play maker - not to be a grinder. I just wish the OL did something competent so we can evaluate the skill players.

This

Let them try CJ out in preseason. If performs upto expectations then hooray for us... My money is on the FJ to end up being the man yet again this season.

Not sure in a Gailey offense, at the "skill" positions (and I use that term guardedly with our group) their will be any meaning to the term "starter". Which is good. He will need to pull out all the tricks in his bag to get production behind that O Line. Will be a revolving door at every skill position, other than QB, although you may see a lot more of Brad Smith/wildcat than you might think. Try 10-15 snaps per game.

You keep saying how FJ is upset with the front office. You know this how? I haven't seen anything claiming that...

It wouldn't be far fetched that FJ would be upset though, sh-- I think we all are.

You know how, say, in mob parlance, a guy will say, "I know a guy who knows a guy"? Along with a few others here I assume, I'm the second of the three guys in that scenario. ;)

When will Jackson get respect? The guy has run better than any back we've had here in years.

But I guess if you waste a top-10 pick on a RB (as we love to do), then you're obligated to start him.

I totally agree. Jackson is better than Spiller at this point. He doesn't get the respect he deserves. s He just knows how to play the position. Spiller is still trying to figure out what to do. Maybe it's the combination of hesitation and bad O-line play, or maybe he's just not good...

Mostly just frustration from a board "old-timer" who's annoyed with the "everything sucks and will never get better" that's prevalent at this time of year. The "If it's a first round pick thats not a pro-bowler, we need to bash everything they do," mentality get sickening.

Spiller still has a ways to go, but I'm confident he'll get there. He looked both good and bad on saturday in his limited action. I still think Freddie is the better back, and should be starting. I'm also guessing that Freddie will start the opener and get the majority of the carries.

But, Freddie has nothing to gain in preseason. Get CJ out there to continually learn the game, and tell Freddie to be ready to go on Sept. 11th.

Well...From one "old-timer" to another...Fair enough... ;)

First round pick that's not a pro-bowler? I'd be happy with a first round pick who could actually be serviceable. Spiller ain't done it yet and Maybin didn't do it..come to think of I don't remebmer McKelvin being in the pro bowl selections nor do I remember Whitner as a pro-bowler.

Dpiller sucks until he doesn't suck. All he has to do is run, block and catch passes.

This retarded hack FO never ceases to amaze me. What has CJ even remotely shown in any game action that would make anyone think he is a better RB than Jackson? All he has even done is disappoint! Yet because this team was stupid enough to wasted a top 10 pick on [another] RB, he is going to start. I wonder how many games before they give up on this experiment? This is the same team that keep Greer on the bench, cut Jim Leonard, and STILL refuses to play their best RB in Jackson. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

This retarded hack FO never ceases to amaze me. What has CJ even remotely shown in any game action that would make anyone think he is a better RB than Jackson? All he has even done is disappoint! Yet because this team was stupid enough to wasted a top 10 pick on [another] RB, he is going to start. I wonder how many games before they give up on this experiment? This is the same team that keep Greer on the bench, cut Jim Leonard, and STILL refuses to play their best RB in Jackson. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Do you think Gailey is getting pressure from above to start Spiller?

If this franchise ever turned things around, maybe you wouldn't hear so much of that. 11 years without making it to the post season will do that to a fan.

Quite frankly, given the number of high first round picks this team has had in the last decade, having one Pro-Bowler really isn't asking for much. Instead, only 4 are left on the roster. That is truly pathetic.

Edited by Scraps

I don't understand the Spiller bashing. While I agree that Jackson is the clear starter it does not mean that Spiller should simply sit on the bench. The Bills invested in the kid to play football and he should be given first team reps so he can learn. He can't do it by layin' around twittling his thumbs. :rolleyes:

The fact is CJ should not be the starter on this team till he proves he is a better running back then Fred Jackson.....all Jackson has ever done is produce in every facet of the game whether it be blocking, receiving, or running......

BUT

You need two backs....Fred cant carry the load by himself.......

To be the man you gotta beat the man

OK, I'll bite. Spiller does things that Jackson couldn't dream of. The 15yd(roughly) run the other night is an example of this. He will be good....

But then he outruns his blockers on a perfectly executed screen. I get it. He does some stupid stuff. But if I remember correctly, he was hit instantly on two of his runs for losses. Even Fred "Houdini" Jackson can't escape all the time.

This post is contradicting itself kinda like when we all argue over whether Spiller will be good or not. I really think if Spiller gets into a rhythm out there, it will be his path to a breakthrough season. But then again, Jackson has proven he needs touches too.

The coaches are obviously going with the guy that can provide the bigger play when presented with the equal opportunity. I don't blame them for that. We need all the big-play weapons we can get. Freddy will play plenty regardless whether or not Spiller "starts."