Marv Levy Is Responsible For The Downfall This Decade!

Now Mr. Wilson would make you believe Donahoe was responsible according to his public statements in the past where he threw him under the bus but we actually came close to winning in the Donahoe era, and not to mention the games were exciting to watch.

...now enter Marv Levy and a series of horrible personelle, fiscal and management decisions. Under his helm he was responsible for the most horrific drafts this decade (maybe ever in the history of the Buffalo Bills), hired perhaps the worst head coach in the NFL at that time , horrible FA acquisitions and overpaid to boot! (Walker, Dockery etc). If this wasn't enough the Levy ara was the most dry, boring, conservative football ever! This is the time period a lot of fans were lost.

To this day Nix and Gailey are STILL cleaning up his mess. I wonder what Wilson really thinks about that move to hire him? The Levy era was waaaayyyyyyyyyy worse than the Donahoe era.

All this said I think we have a competent GM and head coach now...finally.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make this stop, please...even if I agree, to an extent, the buck stops at the desk of Ralph Wilson...give Marv credit for stepping down after two years, knowing he was in over his head...

Edited by Buftex

Now Mr. Wilson would make you believe Donahoe was responsible according to his public statements in the past where he threw him under the bus but we actually came close to winning in the Donahoe era, and not to mention the games were exciting to watch.

...now enter Marv Levy and a series of horrible personelle, fiscal and management decisions. Under his helm he was responsible for the most horrific drafts this decade (maybe ever in the history of the Buffalo Bills), hired perhaps the worst head coach in the NFL at that time , horrible FA acquisitions and overpaid to boot! (Walker, Dockery etc). If this wasn't enough the Levy ara was the most dry, boring, conservative football ever! This is the time period a lot of fans were lost.

To this day Nix and Gailey are STILL cleaning up his mess. I wonder what Wilson really thinks about that move to hire him? The Levy era was waaaayyyyyyyyyy worse than the Donahoe era.

All this said I think we have a competent GM and head coach now...finally.

Levy set this team back 10 years easily. Terrible drafts, signing, and overall decisions. But someone was responsible for hiring a GM with no GM experience, and that's where the blame ultimately lands...

You are right, it was all his fault in the 2 years he was here. He was handed a SB contending team from Tom Donahoe who was a master of great drafting and signing quality FA's.

marv may not have made many good moves while he was in charge, but he was brought in to try and change the culture around the team (a calss organisation with high character kind of guys). His plan failed and he realised he was not the right guy for the job so he left. He is hardly the reason why this team is in the mess its in. Tom Donahoe started this mess, Marv made a quick attempt to turn things around, and Jauron and company continued bringing things down.

So far, Nix and gailey seem to be showing signs that they know what needs to be done and are making the moves to change things, unfortunatly for them, Bills fans have no patience and very short attention spans, so when things aren't changed overnight (like how all teams are rebuilt from the ground up), they look to find a new saviour to step in and change things again.

Ralph Wilson is responsible. No one else. Ralph Wilson.

And without him, there is no team

So your choices are to accept this, move on to another team, or pray that Pegulia is or can become the Biggest Bills fan in the world and drills a few more oil wells to be able to pay top dollar to outbid any other bidders when Ralph passes so he can keep the team in Buffalo. Unless of course you have enough money stashed away in your mattress (or enough credit to get a billion dollar loan) to buy them and keep them in Buffalo?

Another problem has been with the turn-over at GM and head coach, every new regime wants its own new scheme and new players. This has really set us back. It's not easy going from a Wade Phillips 3-4, to a Gregg Williams 46, to a traditional 4-3, to a Tampa-Two 4-3, and to a traditional 3-4.

How many draft picks and FA signings have we wasted solely based on the changes in scheme?

Also, I would add that whoever was in charge for the last 10 years, they've drafted like they were a Super Bowl team, making luxury picks, and taking huge gambles on big "upside" guys... This is something you do if you're the Patriots. If you're the Bills, you pick really safe guys.

You don't draft McGahee, Spiller, or Lynch in the first round, because you know RB's are a dime a dozen. You don't draft question mark guys like McCargo, Losman, and Maybin in the first round, because you can't afford to bust on a top pick. You stay away from Mike Williams, because you know that Texas college players have a tendency to bust.

So a guy who headed 2 drafts is responsible for an entire decade? Nice logic. Drafts under him were fair, not great. But he guys they picked under him will be in the NFL for a long time including two guys who made the pro bowl in Lynch and Kyle Williams. Two drafts, two pro bowl players. Guys like Poz and Whitner will be playing in this league for a decade.

So he took over for the WORST Bills team in a long time and made it a bit better. The problem with the Bills is constant turnover so every three years a new coaching regime takes over and likes different types of players so that automatically leads to high turnover of a roster. Do you like Fred Jackson, K Williams? Those were pretty good picks over a two year period. If you can get 2-3 quality starts from a draft that is a very good draft. Did they improve the two years he was here....yes they did.

Plus taking over a team with JP Losman as your starting QB is a complete recipe for disaster.

When you think back on Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas or any other great football player, do you remember them in the prime of their careers? Or at the end of their careers after their skills had diminished?

When Marv's name comes up, I prefer to remember him as the classy leader who led us to four AFC Championships and gave us countless great memories. I've been a Bills fan for 30+ years. The years when Levy was the HC were my favorite. I'm not going to criticize the guy for failed efforts to rebuild the glory of the Bills during his brief tenure as GM.