Gruden on MNF

Yay! a 1st down which helped lead to how many points? Call me jaded but guys like Brad Smith's aren't going to help the Bills win a division when rivals are getting guys like Chad Ochocinco on the same day. If anything the current CBA is starting to show how the NFL is becoming more of a have and have nots league. Notice the teams like the Patriots and Eagles remain toward the top whereas the Bills, Bengals and Raiders all haven't seemingly remain toward the bottom.

Neither Chad ochocinco, or Haynesworth, or houshmanzadeh have been factors in this leaugue for a while. They're not in NE to win a championship. Those guys are there to have their brains picked by Billy B's young recruits. Bellichick knows there's only so much a coach can do. Older, experienced, successful players provide a confidence and know-how that coaches just can't teach. They guy is simply planning for the future. I think guys like Brad Smith can contribute alot experience-wise. He's a proven play-maker. Fitz-one-trick, on the other hand has definitely lost a step. I think a guy like Smith could really energize this offense.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why some want to keep calling the Smith signing a "luxury" signing, as if that's a bad thing. He can play several positions, he seems to be pretty decent at all three (OB, receiver, special teams), and brings experience and maturity to a young team. He's a proven contributor on the field as well as off. I wish that we could sign several more players that can contribute in multidimensional ways like him.

Moreover, it's not an "either?" "or?" decision, just because you sign him, doesn't preclude you from signing other players. If they said, it's Brad Smith and nothing else, I could see the angst. But no one has said that, we did sign a quality LB, and hopefully when it's the right guy, we can get the o-line and TE help needed.

My point, enjoy the contributions and added dimension he brings -- we need more "luxury" pick-ups like him -- and keep hoping we can add the other needs as soon as possible.

Just saying.

Edited by CSBill

To people who call it a luxury signing, I disagree. With the new QB rules this most definitely IS NOT a luxury signing. It is actually something we're not used to - the Bills anticipating and using a new rule to our advantage. They can dress and make active what used to be deemed the emergency QB, which in the past was only someone you could use in case of emergency, and if that person got injured there were rules about substitution, etc.

Instead of dressing a 3rd QB on game day who will stand and hold a clipboard most of the time, they have a guy in that position that can actually contribute. What the hell is wrong with that? Why is that a "luxury"? Sounds like people are just parroting the dumb crap they hear in the media without even thinking about the possibilities. That said, it is foreign to us to see the Bills be creative, so maybe we're just not used to it and think the worst.

To those who way they would rather have an OL. There is no "rather" in the conversation. It isn't like they didn't sign an OL because they signed Smith. That is false. They could (and should) still sign another RT, and signing Smith doesn't preclude that. That argument makes absolutely no sense to me.

Signing Smith is a very good thing.

To people who call it a luxury signing, I disagree. With the new QB rules this most definitely IS NOT a luxury signing. It is actually something we're not used to - the Bills anticipating and using a new rule to our advantage. They can dress and make active what used to be deemed the emergency QB, which in the past was only someone you could use in case of emergency, and if that person got injured there were rules about substitution, etc.

Instead of dressing a 3rd QB on game day who will stand and hold a clipboard most of the time, they have a guy in that position that can actually contribute. What the hell is wrong with that? Why is that a "luxury"? Sounds like people are just parroting the dumb crap they hear in the media without even thinking about the possibilities. That said, it is foreign to us to see the Bills be creative, so maybe we're just not used to it and think the worst.

To those who way they would rather have an OL. There is no "rather" in the conversation. It isn't like they didn't sign an OL because they signed Smith. That is false. They could (and should) still sign another RT, and signing Smith doesn't preclude that. That argument makes absolutely no sense to me.

Completely agree...For a guy who can play offense and special teams and make a difference @ the end of the day....I am all for it. And finally, I think this is one of the Gailey pick where he has a plan. As someone else posted, Gailey could not run the Wildcat either with Spiller or Jackson...With Smith he can. When you can get 5 yards on 1st and 10, that is a great play to move the chains.

OK, A. It's "division" rival

B. Why do you care what these ESPN jerk offs say? Most of these guys no nothing and the only reason you listen to them is because they are on tv.

Please don't ever post again. Thanks!

The "jerk offs" at ESPN hurt your feelings because they say mean things about the football team you love. They said the Bills would stink last year, and how wrong they were.

Also, that John Gruden guy doesn't know anything about football. I mean, what has he ever done?? Lol.

Does implementing a formation that has been used for three seasons really qualify as creative. Teams are prepared for, and know how to neutralize the wildcat, it's no longer a surprise. The Dolphins used it in '08 to shock the Patriots and in the next meeting Billacheat shut it down.

Chan Gailey has a reputation for being an offensive guru. I hope he has some serious innovations to add to the wildcat. Otherwise, we're just arriving late for the party.

I like Smith, he gives the Bills another playmaker on offense but he isnt that big of a loss for the Jets

if the Bills signed their TE then yeah that would be a big loss

Ask Jets fans (or Jon Gruden, or a host of other people). He's a big loss for them.

Yay! a 1st down which helped lead to how many points? Call me jaded but guys like Brad Smith's aren't going to help the Bills win a division when rivals are getting guys like Chad Ochocinco on the same day. If anything the current CBA is starting to show how the NFL is becoming more of a have and have nots league. Notice the teams like the Patriots and Eagles remain toward the top whereas the Bills, Bengals and Raiders all haven't seemingly remain toward the bottom.

Ochochinco? LOL! He's on his last legs and is in danger of being cut. Smith at least is still young. Poor example. And converting first downs is important, regardless of whether points are scored. Not that they showed even a fraction of what they'll end up doing with him.

As I said elsewhere, if the Bills use him sparingly like the Jets did, it's a luxury pick that still will help. However if they use him like I think they will, he's a big weapon.

rather would have an all pro rt or te.

Really? That's an amazing theory...And to think they had all those All Pro RT's and TE's just lined up to come to Buffalo... ;)

Not sure why some want to keep calling the Smith signing a "luxury" signing, as if that's a bad thing.

Exactly...He's 100% the type-player the Bills have lacked over these years...He's a PLAY MAKER...Not really a luxury anyway...More like a necessity for a Team so greatly lacking in that area... B-)

Ask Jets fans (or Jon Gruden, or a host of other people). He's a big loss for them.

Ochochinco? LOL! He's on his last legs and is in danger of being cut. Smith at least is still young. Poor example. And converting first downs is important, regardless of whether points are scored. Not that they showed even a fraction of what they'll end up doing with him.

As I said elsewhere, if the Bills use him sparingly like the Jets did, it's a luxury pick that still will help. However if they use him like I think they will, he's a big weapon.

He played a very big role already in the first preseason game. Three 3rd down rushes for 1st down is nothing to scoff at. We've only seen the most basic of plays from the Smith packages, and I'm more excited than I thought I'd be to see what they do with the guy. GO BILLS!

He played a very big role already in the first preseason game. Three 3rd down rushes for 1st down is nothing to scoff at. We've only seen the most basic of plays from the Smith packages, and I'm more excited than I thought I'd be to see what they do with the guy. GO BILLS!

Apparently for some, it is. <_<

Neither Chad ochocinco, or Haynesworth, or houshmanzadeh have been factors in this leaugue for a while. They're not in NE to win a championship. Those guys are there to have their brains picked by Billy B's young recruits. Bellichick knows there's only so much a coach can do. Older, experienced, successful players provide a confidence and know-how that coaches just can't teach. They guy is simply planning for the future. I think guys like Brad Smith can contribute alot experience-wise. He's a proven play-maker. Fitz-one-trick, on the other hand has definitely lost a step. I think a guy like Smith could really energize this offense.

I'll give you Housh, but to say Ochocinco hasn't been productive is simply incorrect, especially in that clusterf@#k of an organization in Cincy. A motivated Haynesworth is not someone I want to face twice a year either.

Does implementing a formation that has been used for three seasons really qualify as creative. Teams are prepared for, and know how to neutralize the wildcat, it's no longer a surprise. The Dolphins used it in '08 to shock the Patriots and in the next meeting Billacheat shut it down.

Chan Gailey has a reputation for being an offensive guru. I hope he has some serious innovations to add to the wildcat. Otherwise, we're just arriving late for the party.

Considering Chan started this type of thing with Kordell Stewart 15 years ago, I dont think he's copying anyone else. Nor is he late to the party.

We are not running the Wildcat. We are running the Wild Bill.

In the wildcat, your starting QB stays in and splits out as a wasted WR.

When we run the Wild Bill, Smith comes in at QB and we still have capable WRs on the field. This is NOT the Wild Cat, or some "gimmick". It's a QB Option offense that has been around for a while, mostly thanks to Gailey.

When used situationaly it can be very effective. If Smith is able to pick up 3rd and shorts, I dont care if his game stats are 5 carries for 20 yards, if all 5 of those carries picked up a 1st down and sustained a drive.

I'll give you Housh, but to say Ochocinco hasn't been productive is simply incorrect, especially in that clusterf@#k of an organization in Cincy. A motivated Haynesworth is not someone I want to face twice a year either.

Donte Whitner has made Ocho his B word every time we've played them over the past 4-5 years. Our DBs covered him without much issue. He's overrated and running on his name and reality-show celebrity.

I wouldnt take any of those three on the Bills. Not scared of them, or the Pats if that is who they are choosing to start this year.

We call those people fools! I'd like to see Smith throw it a bit more, just so that teams have to plan for that out of his package as well.

I'm sure he'll throw more, and I doubt we'll see the full repertoire in pre-season.

Haynesworth has barely practiced with the Pats, for some unknown reason. And CO is on the downside of his career. You can't stop the aging process by switching teams. Then again...

rather would have an all pro rt or te.

I absolutely HATE this kind of IDIOT response. THESE are the kind of people that call radio stations and THAT's the reason they cut off callers. Who wants to listed to people calling in with crap like this!

Perhaps you need to have this explained to you. Teams in the NFL are not limited to only signing one player per year in free agency. The Bills did not choose Smith INSTEAD of a offensive lineman! These chose Smith. That's the end of that sentence. They have not signed a tackle. That is a completely DIFFERENT sentence, not in any way related to the first. :wallbash:

I absolutely HATE this kind of IDIOT response. THESE are the kind of people that call radio stations and THAT's the reason they cut off callers. Who wants to listed to people calling in with crap like this!

Perhaps you need to have this explained to you. Teams in the NFL are not limited to only signing one player per year in free agency. The Bills did not choose Smith INSTEAD of a offensive lineman! These chose Smith. That's the end of that sentence. They have not signed a tackle. That is a completely DIFFERENT sentence, not in any way related to the first. :wallbash:

Now that, sir, is a nice rant and I applaud you. Everybody goes for length in a rant, but there's something to be said for furious concision. :thumbsup:

Considering Chan started this type of thing with Kordell Stewart 15 years ago, I dont think he's copying anyone else. Nor is he late to the party.

We are not running the Wildcat. We are running the Wild Bill.

In the wildcat, your starting QB stays in and splits out as a wasted WR.

When we run the Wild Bill, Smith comes in at QB and we still have capable WRs on the field. This is NOT the Wild Cat, or some "gimmick". It's a QB Option offense that has been around for a while, mostly thanks to Gailey.

When used situationaly it can be very effective. If Smith is able to pick up 3rd and shorts, I dont care if his game stats are 5 carries for 20 yards, if all 5 of those carries picked up a 1st down and sustained a drive.

Donte Whitner has made Ocho his B word every time we've played them over the past 4-5 years. Our DBs covered him without much issue. He's overrated and running on his name and reality-show celebrity.

I wouldnt take any of those three on the Bills. Not scared of them, or the Pats if that is who they are choosing to start this year.

Ahhh yes, Donte's one memorable hit during his tenure in Buffalo. I do remember that. But I think we can discount last season as the "TO Effect" and give him the benefit of the doubt that Owens was screwing the flow of that offense up. Is he as good as he was 4yrs ago. No. Do I think Brady will resurrect his career (if indeed he has ever bottomed-out)? Yes. 70rec, 1000yds.

I'm sure he'll throw more, and I doubt we'll see the full repertoire in pre-season.

Haynesworth has barely practiced with the Pats, for some unknown reason. And CO is on the downside of his career. You can't stop the aging process by switching teams. Then again...

You're right, Haynesworth is the big wild card here. But people thought Randy Moss was done w/ before he came to NE. It's amazing how vets got there and get excited about the game again. No distractions there, or you get cut.

OK, A. It's "division" rival

B. Why do you care what these ESPN jerk offs say? Most of these guys no nothing and the only reason you listen to them is because they are on TV.

The Bills are taking steps in the right direction, but here's the one thing they are missing: A franchise player!

I see you enjoy correcting other people's spelling around here. Next tome you do, it would help if you used the proper spelling of "know" you idiot...