This post from a Baltimore fan says it all

I am happy a fan in Baltimore is happy with Evans. He was a good Bill, but lets face it, the team should be better than 4-12, but we are not talking 12-4. We get to see how good our younger receivers are and Lee gets to play on a playoff potential team. Given his loyalty to the Bills, he deserves it!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mason has been a better receiver throughout his career, and especially over the past 2 years, than Lee was, and they released Mason. I don't know what they think Lee will do for them that Mason couldn't. And many think that Lee has lost a step.

Mason has been a better receiver throughout his career, and especially over the past 2 years, than Lee was, and they released Mason. I don't know what they think Lee will do for them that Mason couldn't. And many think that Lee has lost a step.

I totally agree Mason has been a better receiver and it's not close. But I suppose the reason they aquired Evans is for the deep threat. Mason has never been that, especially the last several years.

Pat Williams, Greer, Winfield, Clements, Jim Leonard, Peters, Fletcher, Spikes, Lynch, add Poz to that list now.

about 3 of those people are close to worth their contracts (greer, pat williams who i believe is now retired, and winfield). peters is a good player, but over-hyped. clements? cut. jim leonard? haven't heard his name mentioned since he left baltimore. fletcher? great person, same problem as poz - gets dragged downfield constantly. lynch? had the memorable run but wasn't quite an All-pro in seattle last year... spikes has never been same since achilles injury... you all just think they are great because they have a "name" for themselves but there are practical reasons thee people were let go for higher contracts. funny - but only a few of them went to winning teams. what does that tell you??? its all about the money to them.

on a more impt note. We should be getting compensation picks this year for Poz and Whitner, and relatively high one for Poz too. Don't think Buddy doesn't know this...

jim leonard? haven't heard his name mentioned since he left baltimore.

In his defense, Leonard got injured last year with quite a bit of the season to go, that's probably why you didn't hear much of him. Before that though, and his first year with the Jets, he was pretty solid. But again, as I said before, even he wasn't a lock to be a big-time defensive back based on his performance in Buffalo.

Mario Haggan started at LB for the Broncos the last 2 years, and got 5 sacks last year. Mario was our special teams star most of the years Coy Wire had that reputation. I remember watching Stamer, Crowell and Haggan develop, wondering which would differentiate themselves from the others and become starter-quality.

We got TWO #3s for McGoofus. I guess we couldn't pull off another deal that good again.

PTR

That trade was in the back of Newsome's mind when he was only willing to give up a #4 for a much better player...this was revenge on the part of the Ravens

welp, they cut McGahee this year after a couple of lackluster seasons. lets see how great they make Evans...

They cut him because they have a young Ray Rice and are deep at RB. He was pretty good for them and they more than got their value out of him considering how little they gave up to get him.

welp, they cut McGahee this year after a couple of lackluster seasons. lets see how great they make Evans...

Baltimore got 4 seasons out of McGahee, that's one more than the Bills got out of their 1st round pick who spent his rookie year rehabing his knee. They don't have to make Evans great, they just have to have him take some heat off Boldin.

Seriously, wouldn't you be stoked if you just traded a 4th round pick for Lee Evans? Does anyone really think the probabilities are high that any team (not just us) would get a 4th round pick that produces more than Evans (and yes, I know his age)?

Moss went to the Pats for a 4th round pick. Moss to the Vikings for a fourth round pick.

Ochocinco to the Pats for a 4th round pick.

Evans has not produced like either of those two.

Getting a fourth is pretty good for our 3rd best WR.

I live and work in Chicago, and I think this quote says it all:

Me: Bills just traded Lee Evans to Baltimore

Guy in my office: Who's Lee Evans?

Ummm that doesn't say anything but he doesn't watch alot of football

There are plenty of people who don't know who Kyle is

Dude what a dumb remark, if lee was a diva and then he would know him, you and your friend are clueless

I live and work in Chicago, and I think this quote says it all:

Me: Bills just traded Lee Evans to Baltimore

Guy in my office: Who's Lee Evans?

Great perspective. It's not like they were trading Jerry Rice (or pick your favorite HOF receiver) in his prime.

what's funny is that we tried to re-sign almost all of those guys-- PW, AW, Greer, Fletcher, and Poz. Even Peters was more of a contract issue, and Clements would have broken the bank.

Baltimore is good because they draft really well and hang onto their own great guys. I don't recall their trades and FA signings being all that great--trading for Boldin (sub-par year last year), and McGahee (sub-par career) weren't very successful.

Unless I'm completely misremembering things, Pat Williams was willing to take less money to stay in Buffalo, and the front office was disinterested. I don't remember the succeeding GM (Marv Levy) making a serious effort to retain Fletcher, either. Both would have come back for a reasonable salary, and played for a losing franchise, because they believed in the team and they believed in the city.

I take no issue with losing Clements, Winfield, or even Greer-- we lost bidding wars to richer teams in each case-- but I think the point being made throughout this thread is that there WERE, in fact, talented players who wanted to stay, and it's those guys we were remiss to let go. New front offices seldom have loyalty to the stalwarts acquired by previous regimes. They want to put their own signature(s) on the team. I understand and accept that, but when you continue to lose seasoned talent and build anew, or to sacrifice proven talent and leadership in the quest for a new direction and identity, you are, as the Baltimore poster suggested, doing the wrong thing.