Evans traded to Baltimore

Jdragon2

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does it work that Evans wouldn't go over the middle? Do they call the plays and he just doesn't run the pattern? I honestly have no idea how that works.

I remember when Trent Edwards started and after every game, everyone would ask, "do our receivers run routes over the middle?" You wouldn't know unless you were at the game, since there would never be a completion there.

Big part of the problem was Edwards; but a big part of it was also probably Evans.

I remember when Trent Edwards started and after every game, everyone would ask, "do our receivers run routes over the middle?" You wouldn't know unless you were at the game, since there would never be a completion there.

Big part of the problem was Edwards; but a big part of it was also probably Evans.

I'm at every game and I know that Evans doesn't catch the ball over the middle. But, I'm watching the ball, so I don't know how it is that he doesn't do it. Dr. D had a nice explanation above.

i'd love for all the optimists here to explain themselves. the arguments to be pessimistic have been made ad nauseum and don't need repeatingbut relevant questions do. is the roster measurably better than when nix/gailey took over? are they truly the brass you were hoping for and are you really impressed with their work to date? will this years team be any better than those of the last 10 years? will next years and what evidence do you have to contend that? do we have a stockpile of top draft picks in the next couple years? do we have trade bait to fill gaping holes and needs? will we fill those holes with top or even mid level free agents?

seems to me hope is pinned on the unproven genius of the new gm and coaches (which this trade puts in further question) and the belief that current rookies and future ones in the next 2-3-4-5 years might turn out to be much better than those of all the other teams. sounds a very long shot to me but what am i missing?

Edited by birdog1960

Lee came and left this organization in the same manor; a class act. Evans Statement Via BB.com I wish the guy success and a solid end to his career outside of Buffalo. The only thing about the trade that gets to me is what we got. Sure he can only run "one route" and doesn't light it up on the stat sheet. However the guy worked his tail off for 7 years for us and that alone is enough to respect the guy(given the state of the franchise). He didn't complain, quit, leave when it could've been his choice, or cost us any games... wait... did he?

Maybe the board will shutdown after we make the draft choice with the pick we got for him...

Edited by the_franchise

Look guys...I've always liked Lee and I still think he is a good receiver and I'm sad to see him go.

And yes, I was hoping we might get a player for him rather than a draft pick...but nobody was going to give

us their starting right tackle for him and considering it was just a draft pick (and also considering recent history)

a 4th rounder was pretty good value for a receiver his age who had a couple of down years.

But this trade has NOTHING to do with Ralph and Overdorf being cheap, or Buddy being stupid and old or any of that.

We have a pretty straight shooting coach, who isn't afraid to cut bait (see Trent Edwards) if someone isn't working out

the way he wants them to in his offense. It doesn't mean Lee sucks or is over the hill, he just isn't the right type of

receiver for Gailey's offense. Here's what Gailey has said about Lee recently...

August 2nd:

Reporter: "What's it going to take to make Lee the weapon that he could/should be?"

Chan: "We've gotta get him to become a better underneath receiver. We gotta give him things that he can do and let him work

on those things that will make him better as a short receiver...we know he's got the deep threat he's always had that and we

gotta help him get better in the intermediate and short areas."

August 10th:

Reporter: "What does Lee mean to your offense?"

Chan: " Lee has made a bunch of big plays here through the years...and...um...he still made some big plays for us last year.

As I said earlier, we gotta do a better job of getting him more effective in the short and intermediate area. We know what

he can do deep. We gotta do a better job of helping him get better there."

Most coaches asked about their #1 receiver who their team can't live without would be hurling every superlative they could

think of at the press. But that doesn't sound like what Gailey had to say. There is no way this trade goes down just to save

some money if Gailey thought it would severely hurt the team. I think as others have said, he wants to give the young guys who

fit his system better and will be around for the long haul a chance. And anyone watching the games last year could see Evans and

Fitz didn't have great chemistry or something.

Stevie will be fine. Sure he'll get doubled more early in the season at least, but that opens the door for one of the other guys to excel.

Nelson really proved something to me last year. roscoe was on fire before getting hurt. Jones and Naaman seem to be coming on and

played well last year when given the opportunity. And then there is Easley and Buster who I admit are still question marks. If Roscoe or Nelson

or Jones, or whoever, is running wild because they're doubling Stevie, then defenses will have to switch it up and then Stevie will get his.

There was also what Wandstedt said about Gailey's offense in Miami when they didn't have the best O-line, that Chan went with a short

passing game (see that they are practicing screens alot this camp) to compensate. I think short and intermediate is the key for this year.

Get the ball out quick to fast, elusive guys (Roscoe, Spiller, Smith, etc.) and let them make something happen, make guys miss and pick up

the yards that way, rather than bombs to the endzone. And Lee doesn't fit that scheme well.

As to Drayton's twitters, it sounds like he and Lee were probably good friends and it sucks to lose a friend...but, you don't think all of

the young guys on the offense aren't excited about the opportunity (Smith, Nelson, Spiller, Jones, Roosevelt, Easley, etc.)? And if they start

producing, Lee the friend will still be missed, but Lee the player won't be so much. There might be some short term anxiety in the locker room

due to this trade. But I don't think it will linger for more than a week or two.

I'll miss Lee and I wish him nothing but the best...but I'll trust the coach on this one until proven otherwise. The sky is not falling.

Just saw this. Good stuff. I have made similar points. 1. Evans doesn't fit Chan's scheme. 2. I don't think he and Fitz ever clicked.

Yes, Evans makes the safeties shade his way. However, the Bills have the talent at WR (especially in the 3 WR set) that one of them will be open. Parrish and Johnson will take the attention, which will open up playmaking for the 3rd WR be it Jones, Roosevelt, Buster, or ??? I don't think this move affects the W-L bottom line, and I will extend a wager on the over for Vegas' 5.5.

I personally believe that some of the Bills players do read these threads...maybe not Lee Evans himself, but someone on the team that perhaps could pass on a message. I wanted to start this thread (even though i'm pretty sure the powers that be around here will close it due to too many "Lee Evans" threads)to over shadow all of dix on here that say Lee is not a #1, he's one dimensional, deep threat, blah, blah,blah!!!!! I'm not saying that i don't understand the trade (i do feel that Lee is worth way more than a 4th though), but anyway there are enough threads about that. This thread is simply a "good luck" and thanks for your time in B-lo. You've truly been a class act, through i don't even know how many different qb's, coaches, coordinators, TO, etc and have been nothing outside of a true pro. I and i'm sure many others (although usually only the negative people post on here)wish you the best. Good Luck Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

People just need to relax about all the changes that are happening on this football team. We finally have a football guy back as the GM and "most" of us here realize Gailey is a pretty good coach (at least offensively). Let's not forget we got the Stache just in case the defense tanks and to be honest, maybe we got him in case Gailey tanks too. I know I'd feel more comfortable with Wanny as our interim than Perry Fewel was but I don't expect Gailey to blow it either.

Just think of the moves we've made over the past year and a half or so. They all make sense to getting this team back to winning.

-Fired Jauron and his no balls way of coaching this team (worst coach ever as a Bill, yes he was worse than Mularkey)

-Hired Nix (a good football guy, regardless if he was the cheap move or not, he's good)

-Hired Gailey, also a good football guy. Knows the offense in and out. Ya, you all wanted Cowher and Shanny. Cowher didn't go anywhere and the Panther and Cowboys jobs were up so maybe, just maybe he wanted to stay retired.and what the hell has Shanny done in Washington? Absolutely nothing with probably more talent and a ton more money.

-Got rid of that scumbag Lynch, and for a 4th rounder and more. Don't bring up that stupid run at the end of the year for the Hawks. It was one play. The guy was a bum. The guy was a criminal. I work in the Corrections system and know one when I see one and this guy is gonna have an orange jumpsuit one day.

-Got rid of Modrak and the other fools we didn't want making decisions on draft day. Again having Nix with more of a scouting role even as a GM and bringing in guys he trusts is going to end the Aaron Maybin and Donte Whitner in the 1st round picks.

And now on to this offseason and why people are jumping from the Grand Island bridge for no reason. First if all, it's a fact that in year 2 under a new regime we are still in rebuilding. It's something this teams old coaches and GMs never wanted to admit and were even more hesitant on trying to do it. Instead we just let Jauron and everyone before him just try and plug the holes with gum. We need/needed to rio this thing down from the foundation and rebuild it from the bottom up.

-Poz was way overpaid by the Jags and I'm incredibly happy we didn't pay a slow, undersized, out of position, always chasing the runner 15 yards behind the LOS and behind the play as much as the Jags were dumb enough to pay.

-Whitner, just read everything I wrote about Poz but substitute SF for Jags.

-Evans, I know, I know, I loved him too. Had a Evans jersey. Had an autographed football. Little kids had posters of him in thief room. He was such a classy Bill. Not at all like the Whinning Donte, or the gun toting Lynch. Why did we have to lose him? WHY?!?!?!? BECAUSE HE WAS AVERAGE AT BEST!!! Come on people, his best year still wasn't as good as Stevies after just his first year as a starter. He apparently never got on the same page with Fitz. He probably was a little "difficult to deal with". Why is it that Stevie can come in one year and Fitz and Stevie both look like starting players for a football team? Evans did it one year with Losman and after that he has been very poor. I know, I know, with another QB, with another WR opposite him, with a better OLine. Well, guess what, he's had his chances. We had a pretty decent line last year and when Peters was still here, Lee didn't get it done. We had other WRs on the team like a first ballot HOFer in TO and Lee couldn't get it done. Last year Stevie put up more TDs than any other Bill at the position while bettering or coming extremely close to Lee's career highs but still Lee couldn't get it done. We left him as the only person on the entire offense to get the ball with JP at QB and he only had 1 truly good year. And with the horrible QB that threw for 24 TDs and over 3,000 yards, while hitting Stevie for over 1k yards and 10TDs, Roscoe Parrish with career highs only halfway through the season, Rookies Nelson, Jones, Rosevelt all produced more than expected and Nelson having more than Lees 4TDs he couldn't get it done.

The only thing I actually agree with is the fact that Lee pulled double coverage so that Stevie could have a great year. But let me ask you this. How long do you think Lee's got that down? Most likely the other teams in the NFL have recognized Stevie is our number 1 now. Most likely Lee's 30+ year old body loses some speed. Most likely Lee can't do the things that we wanted him to do. He's a speed WR and at his age he's not getting faster, he's getting slower. It's the same reason why were all saying Freddy Jackson has at best 1-2 more years in him. Because he's over 30 and in football talk, that's ancient.

Evans has been a one trick pony for his entire career and that's getting away from him. It's time we got some of these young kids that Nix and Gailey drafted who are all taller, bigger, more physical players than Evans. These guys actually look like football players on the field. Nelson, Rosevelt and Jones all showed promis last season. Other teams like the Pats do this kind of thing all the time. Hell, the Ravens only needed Evans because they let another old, slow dying WR go in Mason.

We need to see what these young kids have. One of them was going to be cut. And they all have abilities. One had to go. Personally I think Roscoe will be gone by the trade deadline too and I'm ok with that move also.

Everyone here wants to complain that we always do the wrong thing by keeping guys like Maybin, Kelsey, Dockery, Walker, Whitner and want to be relevant again. Nix is putting together HIS team. He's actually building for the future and getting something for aging or bad players that do t want to be here, or won't be here after thier contracts are up.

How's this for a thought. The majority of this site believes the Bills are 1-2 years away from actually being able to contend. What good does keeping Evans on this team do for 2 years when he won't be here after that? Now you let him walk in FA for free, AND you don't allow his replacements a chance to see what they really have.

I know, I'm turning this into a "Pro-Trade Evans" thread. The fact is that we lost with him just fine, we can at least lose without him and get that extra pick. I agree that we got underpaid for him for his worth as a decoy. But other than the points about the young guys needed playing time, look at Haynesworth, look at Ocho-Cinco. Both those guys are miles better than Evans and they fetched a 4th or less from the Pats.

I'm just happy to see Buddy and Chan doing something this team has needed for a long time. Get rid of the players that have been on this team for years of mediocrity. The players that we loved so much are the same guys that have been leaders of this team for the last 4-8 years. Getting rid of guys that cant/dont know how to win is a good thing. We need new leaders around here. Young guys like Dareus, Johnson, Aaron Williams, CJ, Nelson. All guys with something to prove.

That's all I got. But let's just get a grip on things as fans and let the Football guys do what they do. We can all agree that things are better now than they ever were with Jauron, Mularkey, Donahoe and Russ. After all, we haven't even seen a single game yet this year. Have fun burning me.